145lbs on my way to 165lbs. What success have you seen? What diets have you used?

Options
I'm very skinny for 5'11" I recently I've changed up my diet that limits dairy (basically none) and meats ( occasional salmon, chicken, and shrimp). Have no idea if this will help with my weight gain, but I've just selected what I'd like to eat rather than what I've been forcing my self to eat for the sake of gaining. Seems a bit humorous to go exactly the opposite of what's recommended. I've tried many other diets and work out plans over the years and finally I'm doing my own! I'd love to hear if anyone has done anything similar and how it has worked for you.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can follow any diet that helps you reach your goal but i will say you cut a lot of foods out that make it easier to get calories. Dairy and meat are a great source of calories (especially full fat dairy, red meats and fatty fish) and protein.

I dont follow diets. I hate restriction of foods inlpve and no one specific diet is better than the other. I try to eat a variety of foods and hit 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35 to .6g of fat and the rest carbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can follow any diet that helps you reach your goal but i will say you cut a lot of foods out that make it easier to get calories. Dairy and meat are a great source of calories (especially full fat dairy, red meats and fatty fish) and protein.

I dont follow diets. I hate restriction of foods inlpve and no one specific diet is better than the other. I try to eat a variety of foods and hit 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35 to .6g of fat and the rest carbs.

This and ice cream and Oreos...
  • senecan
    senecan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try aiming for 3000 calories a day. Don't worry about macros too much, obviously pack them mostly with protein and carbs. What are your workouts like?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    senecan wrote: »
    Try aiming for 3000 calories a day. Don't worry about macros too much, obviously pack them mostly with protein and carbs. What are your workouts like?

See i find 3000-3200 calories easy. That is my maintenance calories. But i guess well all have different things.
  • kachedada
    kachedada Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! As of now I'm hitting around 4,000 calories a day, yesterday was 4,800 but that because I went out to a Mexican restaraunt and loaded up. As for my macros I'm getting anywhere from 160g to 200 g of protein (with out protein shakes) and 600g to 700g of carbs. It's just recently that I've been eating this much obviously or else I wouldn't be at 145lbs .
  • kachedada
    Options
    @senecan I've been using lighter weights and body weight to build my form and let my body adjust to excessive again. I do chest and tris with legs on Monday, back and biceps/forearms on Wednesday, and shoulders, abs and legs again on Friday.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    5k/day is working for me. 130lb to 190lb. Currently 169.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    kachedada wrote: »
    I'm very skinny for 5'11" I recently I've changed up my diet that limits dairy (basically none) and meats ( occasional salmon, chicken, and shrimp). Have no idea if this will help with my weight gain, but I've just selected what I'd like to eat rather than what I've been forcing my self to eat for the sake of gaining. Seems a bit humorous to go exactly the opposite of what's recommended. I've tried many other diets and work out plans over the years and finally I'm doing my own! I'd love to hear if anyone has done anything similar and how it has worked for you.
    I pretty much eat this way now. Shrimp, salmon, tilapia, tuna, bacon, and some chicken all but too easy, and still eat up to 4,000 calories and consume around 180-220 grams of protein per day. Yesterday, I was over by +400 and that's not the only day I have been over in the past week.

Make carb sources and higher fat sources your best friends.
  • roypoulos
    roypoulos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

How long did it take you to move from 130 to 190? I'm trying to gain weight but realized I can't eat like I used too. 4k calories per day wasn't hard for me 3 years ago but now it's hard for me to eat 2400 calories per day. Sometimes I'm forcing myself to eat. Any suggestions on what I can do to increase my appetite?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    kachedada wrote: »

If it works, keep doing it. You wouldn't believe my ridiculously bad diet that I had when I was in college, and those were the best bulks of my life. If you are downing 4k+ per day, you will probably be hitting your minimums without even trying.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    roypoulos wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

How long did it take you to move from 130 to 190? I'm trying to gain weight but realized I can't eat like I used too. 4k calories per day wasn't hard for me 3 years ago but now it's hard for me to eat 2400 calories per day. Sometimes I'm forcing myself to eat. Any suggestions on what I can do to increase my appetite?

About 6mo. Also I'm a powerlifter. Without lifting, its super hard for me to gain. Basically eat anything you can. I force meals daily. It gets easier overtime. When starting, half my cals were from liquids. Now I can eat a 2k meal no problem.
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't use diets so much just a calorie surplus and adjusting my training to burn more or less calories

Best regards
  • kachedada
    Options
    So it's been almost two months now and as of this morning I weigh 159.8 lbs. super happy with the progress and I hope to reach 165 by February