Weighing fruit

Options
So I know people say you're supposed to weigh your food for most accurate counts but I never really did. But then I hit a plateau and noticed that some apples I bought recently were pretty large so got curious. I don't have a scale but I took the weight from the receipt and divided it by the number of apples. They're all around the same size. Well apparently my apples are around 200 grams and 160 calories. Which is 60 + over what I've been estimating. And I wondered if I should take the weight without the cores? It just seems like a lot. And my bananas which weren't particularly large are apparently around 170. But that's with the peel.

I guess I always thought fruit was lower calorie than it is... for those of you who weigh what do you apples, banana, etc normally end up being in calories?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh the core or the peel? You don't eat them. Only weigh the parts you eat. You don't include the bone on meat, do you?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, you only weigh the part you eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weigh what you eat. You wouldn't count the calories for a yogurt container, for example, the same goes with fruit.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I will usually eat the apple and then weigh what is left of the core, and subtract that from the original amount. If I take one for lunch, I put it in a ziplock bag and write the weight on the bag, and then take the core home and weigh it later.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    lol I wrote a more extreme version of this post... I bought a sharon fruit... weighed it... worked out to be 170 calories!!! I was in total shock... It has kind of put me off eating fruit seeing as I can get more value for my calories elsewhere... But yes, when I use vegetables, i weigh the veg, and then the "rubbish" and subtract...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh the core or the peel? You don't eat them. Only weigh the parts you eat. You don't include the bone on meat, do you?

I eat the peel. I think lots of people do.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I doubt you eat the banana peel, which is what they meant since core would refer to the apple.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When they count the calories, it is for the edible part only, so you can weigh it with the pit, if you want. They do.

Obviously, they don't weigh each item and deduct the stone. It's not an exact kind of thing.

Since I rarely finish an apple, I weigh it before and after I'm done eating and record the difference. Things like cherries, I just weigh them when I begin and record that.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »

I doubt you eat the banana peel, which is what they meant since core would refer to the apple.

Banana peel is actually prepared and eaten in many countries. It's very tasty when prepared.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »

Sorry, I missed the mention of the bananas. Apples have peels too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When they count the calories, it is for the edible part only, so you can weigh it with the pit, if you want. They do.

Obviously, they don't weigh each item and deduct the stone. It's not an exact kind of thing.

Since I rarely finish an apple, I weigh it before and after I'm done eating and record the difference. Things like cherries, I just weigh them when I begin and record that.

Who are "they"? The USDA nutrient database, on which many MFP entries are based, give the calories for edible portions, and the weights are based on the same edible portion.

Basic Report: 09070, Cherries, sweet, raw
    Return to Search Results Full Report (All Nutrients) Statistics Report Download (CSV) Print (PDF)

Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2183?manu=&fgcd=

I weigh the cherries, eat them, then weigh the leftover pits and stems and subtract.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Who are "they"? The USDA nutrient database, on which many MFP entries are based, give the calories for edible portions, and the weights are based on the same edible portion.

Return to Search Results Full Report (All Nutrients) Statistics Report Download (CSV) Print (PDF)

I weigh the cherries, eat them, then weigh the leftover pits and stems and subtract.
    This is my point. The calories are for the edible portion only, so you needn't deduct the pits.

It doesn't really matter much, as the pits are not going to be more than a few grams, even for a big bowl of cherries, but you don't have to go through all that.

• lynn_glenmont
    Options

This is my point. The calories are for the edible portion only, so you needn't deduct the pits.

It doesn't really matter much, as the pits are not going to be more than a few grams, even for a big bowl of cherries, but you don't have to go through all that.
    The calories are for the edible portion, according to the weight of the edible portion. If I include the weight of the pits, then I'm getting "charged" calories for edible portions I didn't consume, and I'm getting "credit" for fiber, potassium, etc. for edible portions I didn't consume.

It's been a month or so since I had cherries, so I don't remember exactly, but it seemed like a meaningful percentage of the overall weight when I weighed the pits. According to the USDA website, which has volume entries with and without pits, it looks like about 10% of the weight is in the pits. There's enough leeway already in things I can't help; I don't think I want to add 10% error on things I can easily avoid.
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2015
    Options

The calories are for the edible portion, according to the weight of the edible portion. If I include the weight of the pits, then I'm getting "charged" calories for edible portions I didn't consume, and I'm getting "credit" for fiber, potassium, etc. for edible portions I didn't consume.

It's been a month or so since I had cherries, so I don't remember exactly, but it seemed like a meaningful percentage of the overall weight when I weighed the pits. According to the USDA website, which has volume entries with and without pits, it looks like about 10% of the weight is in the pits. There's enough leeway already in things I can't help; I don't think I want to add 10% error on things I can easily avoid.

I don't care if you want to weigh your pits. Have fun! I'm just saying that the pits are included and the calories are for the edible portion only.

They aren't 10% of the weight. A whole big bowl is just 2-3g. Until I found out that I didn't have to back them out, I weighed the pits, too. They aren't even close to 10%.

I don't know where you're seeing different values for pitted cherries. Is that raw? I never saw it when I looked.

I was told that the pits are included when they list weights, but the calories are for the edible portions only. So there is no need to do all that business of saving pits and weighing pits and backing them out.

It's really is only a handful of calories, either way, and doesn't really matter, but I was just like you, trying to be all precise with my numbers. I get it. :) Personally, I was glad to be done with that, but I get why you want to do it.

Weigh your pits. Back them out. Enjoy! I totally get why you want to do that and 100% support your choice. :)

(I don't know why that quoted twice. I only hit the button once.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't care if you want to weigh your pits. Have fun! I'm just saying that the pits are included and the calories are for the edible portion only.

They aren't 10% of the weight. A whole big bowl is just 2-3g. Until I found out that I didn't have to back them out, I weighed the pits, too. They aren't even close to 10%.

I don't know where you're seeing different values for pitted cherries. Is that raw? I never saw it when I looked.

I was told that the pits are included when they list weights, but the calories are for the edible portions only.

This is not true, as the information Lynn quoted indicates. The calorie information is weights and calories of edible portions only. Not a big difference for cherries, a bit more of one for bananas and apples, IME. I generally don't bother weighing cherry pits, but I know the average weight of a peach or plum pit and do take off a bit for the banana peel and more for the apple core (which I avoid) and melon peel and the like. I also don't include the shell in what I log for eggs or for winter squash. Overestimating isn't inherently a virtue.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I was told that the pits are included when they list weights, but the calories are for the edible portions only.

This is not true, as the information Lynn quoted indicates. The calorie information is weights and calories of edible portions only. Not a big difference for cherries, a bit more of one for bananas and apples, IME. I generally don't bother weighing cherry pits, but I know the average weight of a peach or plum pit and do take off a bit for the banana peel and more for the apple core (which I avoid) and melon peel and the like. I also don't include the shell in what I log for eggs or for winter squash. Overestimating isn't inherently a virtue.
    If I was misinformed and the pits aren't included in the weights, I apologize. It's not an issue of being the edible portion, though. I was told that the calories were for the edible portion only, as I said. Just that part of the pits being included in the weights would've been wrong.

I'm not going back to weighing pits, though. The handful of calories cannot make any difference. I don't need the extra four calories.

I was just posting in another thread about counting all the calories in the oil I use even though some gets left in the pan. I'll let the pits get backed out there. :)