Weight while going to the gym

2»

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    adubord wrote: »
    muscle weighs more than fat. If you're lifting weights and/or adding weight to your lifting routine you may gain weight due to muscle growth. Take body measurements instead of just weighing yourself on a scale. I've lost weight all over but soon after starting my weight loss I got stuck at the same weight for about two months. My arms and thighs got half an inch bigger due to muscle but I lost inches around my hips and waist.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat... muscle is denser than fat and occupies less space by volume. There's a big difference there.

Additionally, it takes a considerable amount of time to gain muscle so most likely this is not the culprit.

An average woman can gain between 0.12-and 0.25lbs of muscle per week under optimal conditions during the first year of their training and a decline after that. Men are only slightly better off with an optimal 2lbs per month during the first year and a decline every year after.

Odds are OP is experiencing water weight gain or is not logging as accurately as they'd like to believe.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    muscle weighs more than fat. If you're lifting weights and/or adding weight to your lifting routine you may gain weight due to muscle growth. Take body measurements instead of just weighing yourself on a scale. I've lost weight all over but soon after starting my weight loss I got stuck at the same weight for about two months. My arms and thighs got half an inch bigger due to muscle but I lost inches around my hips and waist.

No No No.

No one gains so much muscle that it 'outweighs' fat loss while eating a 1300 calorie diet in 2 months.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Muscle does not weigh more than fat... muscle is denser than fat and occupies less space by volume. There's a big difference there.

Additionally, it takes a considerable amount of time to gain muscle so most likely this is not the culprit.

An average woman can gain between 0.12-and 0.25lbs of muscle per week under optimal conditions during the first year of their training and a decline after that. Men are only slightly better off with an optimal 2lbs per month during the first year and a decline every year after.

Odds are OP is experiencing water weight gain or is not logging as accurately as they'd like to believe.

Also that gain is based on eating at or above maintenance, focusing on adequate protein and following a progressive resistance programme

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited November 2015

I made it through page 1 and only twitched a couple times until I read this gem. Now I remember why I don't come in these forums anymore. Dear Lord.

While I agree with you about the measurements being better than relying on the scale for results you are absolutely incorrect when you say muscle weighs more than fat. Also, for a woman to "gain muscle" is EXTREMELY hard and down right next to impossible while in a calorie deficit, believe me when I tell you. I have been going at this for a couple years now and I haven't noticed any significant gains, my muscles are more defined because I have been eating at a deficit to drop my BF% which is how it works. Please do some research on the topics before giving inaccurate advice to the internet.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Also that gain is based on eating at or above maintenance, focusing on adequate protein and following a progressive resistance programme

That is entirely accurate. I had lumped that under optimal conditions, but perhaps it might have been better to complete that statement as you did.

Thank you.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    randomsue wrote: »
    Increase your workout. You walk and lift? Break up the monotony, lift then do a walking hiit routine. Burns more fat. Really sweat it out. Don't add in the steps you rack up everyday from your Fitbit or whatever you're using. Just use the burn that you're getting from your workouts. You might be overestimating your calories burned by alot.

I've heard good things about HIIT and weight loss - what is "a walking hiit routine."
  • Kirsty_lou88
    Kirsty_lou88 Posts: 14 Member

I made it through page 1 and only twitched a couple times until I read this gem. Now I remember why I don't come in these forums anymore. Dear Lord.

While I agree with you about the measurements being better than relying on the scale for results you are absolutely incorrect when you say muscle weighs more than fat. Also, for a woman to "gain muscle" is EXTREMELY hard and down right next to impossible while in a calorie deficit, believe me when I tell you. I have been going at this for a couple years now and I haven't noticed any significant gains, my muscles are more defined because I have been eating at a deficit to drop my BF% which is how it works. Please do some research on the topics before giving inaccurate advice to the internet.

True true!! It is difficult to know what to do best.
    Women believe if they lift they will get bulky, maybe so if they have 6000 calories a day. Research is key to understanding
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Increase your workout. You walk and lift? Break up the monotony, lift then do a walking hiit routine. Burns more fat. Really sweat it out. Don't add in the steps you rack up everyday from your Fitbit or whatever you're using. Just use the burn that you're getting from your workouts. You might be overestimating your calories burned by alot.

I've heard good things about HIIT and weight loss - what is "a walking hiit routine."

It's where you alternate the intensity of your walk at intermittent times. Instead of walking at the same pace throughout your walk, you can increase your pace every 2 minutes for a minute then back to your normal pace. Do this throughout the walk. Another thing you can do is to add jumping jacks or squats every 2 minutes..these are just some suggestions. There's routines that you can look up for this. When I'm on the treadmill I never walk at 1 pace, it's not as fun. I've seen people walk backwards for short periods of time.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    FredKing1 wrote: »

It's where you alternate the intensity of your walk at intermittent times. Instead of walking at the same pace throughout your walk, you can increase your pace every 2 minutes for a minute then back to your normal pace. Do this throughout the walk. Another thing you can do is to add jumping jacks or squats every 2 minutes..these are just some suggestions. There's routines that you can look up for this. When I'm on the treadmill I never walk at 1 pace, it's not as fun. I've seen people walk backwards for short periods of time.

You can also achieve this by raising and lowering the treadmill. A 5% incline at 2.5 mph burns close to the same calories as walking at 4 mph at 0%incline
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2015
    It may sound nitpicky, but there's a difference between "Interval Training" (such as the walking routine above) and actual HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). HIIT is very intense (hence the "HI" part of the acronym) - you don't just step it up a bit in the intervals, you go as hard/fast as you possibly can. As opposed to the walking intervals above (which are interval training), an example of HIIT would be to do a 100 yard sprint at top speed, walk back to the start point, immediately do another 100 yard all-out sprint, etc. With regular interval training, you'll be out of breath and feel a little taxed - with HIIT, you'll be gasping for air, trying not to puke and be completely exhausted at the end of it!

Interval training can be a part of any/every workout if you want - but it's a good idea to limit true HIIT workouts to once or twice a week because they're so taxing on the body and central nervous system. Especially if you're doing other training (strength training or specific training for a sport), too much of them could hinder your recovery for your other workouts. Best to mix them in with a few other lower-intensity cardio workouts.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It may sound nitpicky, but there's a difference between "Interval Training" (such as the walking routine above) and actual HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). HIIT is very intense (hence the "HI" part of the acronym) - you don't just step it up a bit in the intervals, you go as hard/fast as you possibly can. As opposed to the walking intervals above (which are interval training), an example of HIIT would be to do a 100 yard sprint at top speed, walk back to the start point, immediately do another 100 yard all-out sprint, etc. With regular interval training, you'll be out of breath and feel a little taxed - with HIIT, you'll be gasping for air, trying not to puke and be completely exhausted at the end of it!

Interval training can be a part of any/every workout if you want - but it's a good idea to limit true HIIT workouts to once or twice a week because they're so taxing on the body and central nervous system. Especially if you're doing other training (strength training or specific training for a sport), too much of them could hinder your recovery for your other workouts. Best to mix them in with a few other lower-intensity cardio workouts.

Fair and true
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I totally agree with all of this! :)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited November 2015
    NAH, it is VERY hard for body builders to gain weight, so it is VERY VERY for a regular person to build muscles. Check bodybuilding sites. I agree to take measurements and go by how your clothes feel.
  • Kirsty_lou88
    Kirsty_lou88 Posts: 14 Member
    Get to an insanity class and push hard, you will feel amazing for it xxx
  • tasharosesmith
    tasharosesmith Posts: 19 Member
    I weigh myself fortnightly and have gained 1.5kg this weigh in :(
    I upped my weights and drinking more water but have lost size from my chest, hips, legs and arms so gonna focus on measuring before weighing from now on