Calories burned weight lifting vs. Cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't quote Mercola either.....if he said the sky was blue I'd look out the window to check....

However, there is a growing body of evidence that supports the assertion that strength training helps maintain (and at time improve) cognitive function as we age ...

hiphealth.ca/blog/weight_training_improves_cognitive_function_in_seniors

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3514552/

not to mention the physical benefits.

Short answer.....do both! Weight loss is a function of energy balance but numerous studies have shown that those who exercise regularly are more likely to keep the weight off in the long term.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'd like to see some of the studies. You posted a link to Mercola, who is a quack, and that was just an article. I didn't see the study. Was it there?

If you expand Sources & References, you will get a link to http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/5/1468.abstract

Conclusions: Higher levels of muscular strength are associated with lower cancer mortality risk in men, independent of clinically established measures of overall and central adiposity, and other potential confounders. (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2009;18(5):1468–76)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't quote Mercola either.....if he said the sky was blue I'd look out the window to check....

There's a reason he's often referred to as MercoLOLa. :D
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

However, there is a growing body of evidence that supports the assertion that strength training helps maintain (and at time improve) cognitive function as we age ...

hiphealth.ca/blog/weight_training_improves_cognitive_function_in_seniors

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3514552/

not to mention the physical benefits.

Short answer.....do both! Weight loss is a function of energy balance but numerous studies have shown that those who exercise regularly are more likely to keep the weight off in the long term.

A lot of these studies are showing that previously demonstrated benefits from doing cardio can also be achieved with resistance training. The benefits -- e.g. the cognitive function study--are not exclusive to resistance training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Hey, can someone who is fairly knowledgeable on the subject explain to me the benefits of weight lifting for weight loss? I only burn around 190 calories doing 45 minutes of weight lifting, but I'd burn about 450 doing the same amount of cardio. I understand it had something to do with metabolic burn or something or other... If anyone knows of a good article to help me understand I'd appreciate it! Being encouraged to eat more while burning less had me wary!
    Weight lifting isn't for weight loss. It's to improve muscle conditioning, strength and endurance.
    Weight loss is dependent on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I do a metobolic workout each week. This work consists of heavier weights with the goal of reaching muscle failure. I also do straight cardio, yoga, boot camp and TRX workouts. The strength I gain from metobolic training has significantly increased my performance the other areas. An example of a metobolic workout:

Equipment: 20 lb Dumbbells and 12 kg kettlebell (or appropriate weight for you) and a large exercise ball to lay on.

1. 10 regular kettlebell swings
    2. Using Dumbbells, clean and jerk for 35 seconds, rest for 15 and repeat for a total of 3 sets weights should be heavy enough that the motion from your legs pushes the weights overheard. Don't the arms into a shoulder press.
    3. 10 kettlebell swing stepping in and out
    4. Goblet squat with kettlebell for 35 seconds, rest for 15 and repeat for a total of 3 sets
    5. 10 kettlebell swings switching hands at eye level
    6. Layover ball with Dumbbells for chest press for 35 seconds, rest for 15 and repeat for a total of 3 sets
    7. 10 kettlebell swings with right arm only
    8. Row - in lunge position, place kettlebell outside right foot. Use right arm as weight bench on right leg. Row kettlebell with left arm in a dragging motion toward your hip. Do for 30 seconds then switch sides. Rest for 15 seconds and repeat for a total of three sets (one set includes both left and right sides)
    9. 10 kettlebell swings left arm only
    10. Layover ball with Dumbbells. While left arm is up straight, pec fly with right for 30 seconds and switch to left side for 30. Rest for 15 and repeat for a total of 3 sets
    11. 10 kettlebell swings overhead
    12. Farmers March. Using Dumbbells or kettlebell, hold weights overhead with biceps by ears for 35 seconds, rest for 15 and repeat for a total of 3 sets.
    13. Rest for 2 minutes and repeat steps 1 - 12.
    All workouts are "metabolic". Tagging the word "metabolic" to it doesn't mean it's going to be more advantageous than someone lifting barbells or machine weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Anytime ninerbuff checks in, I know I'm going to be learning something.
    Even as a fan of the Arizona Cardinals, I fight the urge to lob friendly insults, and will instead grab my pad and pencil to take notes (something the Niners forgot to do this year).
    20864eb1cbfe53c10fb50c1b273390bd.jpg