Plateaued hard.

When I started in April I was 168 lbs and 5'6. I'm 131 now and I just am having the hardest time keeping going when I know it's going to be soooo slow from here to 120. Any advice / what do you do during a plateau?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    ihaterocks wrote: »
    When I started in April I was 168 lbs and 5'6. I'm 131 now and I just am having the hardest time keeping going when I know it's going to be soooo slow from here to 120. Any advice / what do you do during a plateau?
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement if one is consistent with diet and exercise. If you do ANYTHING different even for a day, it's NOT a plateau.
    Best thing to do is work on keeping your metabolic rate higher and that's usually increasing intensity by either increasing resistance, shortening rest times, increasing sets, going longer durations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Purposely slow because you wisely made the deficit smaller (like 250 for last 10 lbs) is much better than what many people get with a stressed out body forcing it slow because they foolishly tried to keep a high deficit.

Besides - workouts will transform your body more than weight loss would indicate when using a smaller deficit this close to the end - especially when you apply the advice above.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member

How do you know it's going to be soooo slow?

It doesn't have to be that slow.

I'm your height, and now just a bit lighter than you, and about 3 months ago I went from losing about 2 lb/week down to losing about 1 lb/week. Yes, I've had a couple weeks here and there in those last 3 months where I stayed the same, but that's OK, when I look at the big picture, overall, I am still losing about 1 lb/week.

I just stick with it.
    I tighten up my logging a bit if I'm into the second week with no loss.
    I keep exercising. In fact, in the month of October, I significantly increased the amount of exercise I was doing. I'm actually focusing more on that aspect now. Getting faster and stronger on the bicycle for events, building some muscle, etc.
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 56 Member
    When it comes to diet and exercise try to keep a variety of meals and routines to not allow your body to get too used to a set routine.
    Good job so far though!