Macros

Options
I'm having trouble figuring out what percent of my diet should be protein/carbs/fat. I've read that about 35-40% protein, but i feel like over a hundred grams of protein is a lot for me..

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    What did MFP set you at when you put in all your stats? (Hint: on mobile, go to "goals, nutrition", on desktop go to your food tab)
  • emyleer115
    emyleer115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It set it at 50% carbs (which seems like too much if I'm trying to lose weight), 20% protein (which doesn't seem like enough), and 30% fat. I've done research elsewhere and I've seen student things, a lot say you need mostly protein and carbs should make up the smallest part of your diet. But 113g+ of protein for a 4 ft 11 in. person seems excessive..
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options
    emyleer115 wrote: »
    It set it at 50% carbs (which seems like too much if I'm trying to lose weight), 20% protein (which doesn't seem like enough), and 30% fat. I've done research elsewhere and I've seen student things, a lot say you need mostly protein and carbs should make up the smallest part of your diet. But 113g+ of protein for a 4 ft 11 in. person seems excessive..

I won't go to saying what is too much or too little, cause A. I'm no doctor and B. It's really different for everyone. But pay close attention to this: the ONLY thing that matters as far as losing weight is maintaining a caloric deficit. Eating less calories than you burn. There is nothing special about limiting carbs as far as weight loss. That doesn't mean you can't do that if you so desire, or for health or whatever, but it does mean it's unnecessary for the loss of excess body fat.

Some people on here pay attention to macros, some, like me, do my best to just eat well and ignore them. But there is only one number that matters to lose weight, and that's calories. So, at least for now, until you find another reason to watch macros, just focus on logging everything accurately and staying within your goal and you WILL get results. Then, once you've settled into a good routine with that, if you want to explore other options for your macros for health reasons or to gain weight in the form of mucle once you've lost the fat, check out the maintaining/gaining forums. You will lose weight maintaining a caloric deficit regardless of what you eat unless you have one of the extremely rare metabolic disorders like IR.

Don't worry about the protein being too much right now. You aren't obligated to meet that number, for one, and I think you'll find once you are eating less to keep that deficit, you're gonna like foods with more protein anyway because they make you feel full longer. :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    I forgot the most important part: it's a lot easier to just focus on the calorie counting in the beginning because your macro goals are going to change as your body weight changes. Especially later in your weight loss journey when you're going to be attempting to gain back muscle and tone the ones you already have.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Don't go by ratios, go by body weight. .8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, .4-.6g of fat per lb, and fill the rest of your calories with carbs. If you prefer higher fat, then you can keep carbs lower and fats higher, but this is a general rule of thumb.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    As @clgaram720 said concentrate on counting your calories and maintaining your deficit first and foremost.

When you have a few weeks logged, look back and analyse your macros. What your averages are, what is most satisfying for you, and what is sustainable, while your losing, and once you move into maintenance.

If you start lifting heavy, yes up your protein. But otherwise, eat at the macros you have been given by MFP until you know what changes will suit you.

Cheers, h.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    OP, macros are completely goal dependant. What are you hoping to achieve? If you strictly want to lose weight and care about nothing more, than pure calories are all that matter. Eat whatever you want so long as you meet your calorie goal. If you have physique goals, strength goals, sports or endurance matter to you, etc, then macros become much more important. So what are your goals?