Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I have 100+ to lose

Good Morning Mfp's

I am looking to lose 100lbs + on a budget.

Due to this being quite an overwhelming amount I am looking at my target at 7lb chunks.

I am looking for some advice in regards to what to eat on a budget when I work shifts and have limited facilities. I love my salads but they don't keep me full for long. Carbs and I are not exactly best friends either as I am a bit of a once I pop I can't stop.

Looking at this on a breakfast lunch and dinner basis with 1490 in the way of calories.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to add me as well xx

fatgirlslims87 x

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Buy rice by the bag, dry beans are cheaper than canned, buy many vegetables and lean proteins. Chicken breast and maybe Turkey breast are cheap, or red meat. Some types of fish are fairly cost effective (frozen tilapia can be purchased in bags) shrimp is great lean protein for the calorie cost, but it may be less cost efficient than chicken breast. Good luck!

I haven't had to analyze cost efficiency in a while, sorry if there's still some work for you to do. Good luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Here's my list of the cheapest foods on my grocery list:

Rice
    Potatoes
    Oats
    Beans (dry)
    Barley
    Peanut butter
    Ground turkey (frozen)
    TVP
    Milk

And here's the ones that maybe aren't dirt cheap, but give you the best nutritional bang for your buck (and of course different regions have different prices sometimes)

Sardines, Tuna, Egg, Greek yogurt, Swiss cheese, Dark leafy greens, Broccoli, Peas, Onion, Tomato paste, Raisins, Olive oil, Mixed nuts, Lentils

Add on top of these whatever meat, fruit and vegetables are TRULY on sale (just because there's a sale sign doesn't mean the price is truly a bargain -- learn to track prices over time for products). Sometimes frozen veggies and fruit (like frozen berries without added sugar) are a better deal than fresh produce. If you have a food services store in town, they might sell big industrial sized bags of frozen things for a good deal (but again, just because it's a big bag of something, doesn't make it automatically a deal when you price it out).
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    I use a lot of dried herbs and spices, garlic, light soy and tomato paste. It costs a few £'s [$'s] to stock up but they last for ages and makes bland meals so much more interesting, which I think is important for the long haul.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited November 2015
    hi mate!! hows it going!!! long time no speak or see - i hope your ok and welcome back!
    so i kind of take bits out of slimming world to help me with meals and stuff.
    i stock all herbs and spice, potatoes and fruit as staples - then i go once a month to wholesale meats in exhall and buy in bulk all my meat - this keeps me going then through the month - cottage cheese for quiches, very low in calories and ram it with leeks bacon and veg..

i actually also have a little wonder on musclefood.

p.s - i found that doing it in 7lbs chunks works for me - seeing the bigger picture is just too daunting - definitely work at the little steps ive added you as a friend we can spur each other on!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I'm on a budget for sure. I buy meats when they are on sale. I don't worry about whether there is skin on or not. I can take it off myself to make it more diet-friendly! I buy frozen low-cal lunches for work when they are on sale, too. Vegetables galore.......in season. If I shop and buy only the seasonal fruits and vegetables, it's a good price If I need vegetables outside of season, I buy frozen. They are generally lower in price. I don't buy many potatoes, rice, etc., because of the diet. Mostly I stick to lean protein and vegetables, yogurts, and so on.

But definitely, budget isn't a factor in being successful.