I beat Diabetes!!

Options
Seriously! I had some lab work done last week and my blood shows proof that the efforts for which I put forth in changing to a low-carb diet and moving more has totally paid off. My A1C was 5.1 and I have effectively reversed my diabetes!! Today was a happy day :)

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am very happy for you. What an absolutely brilliant achievement!
    You deserve to be congratulated!
    Well done.
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Goodness me that is amazing you must be so happy my mum has diabetes I will tell her all about it.Congratulations!!!!!
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get off my meds for awhile and give the liver and stuff a break. Rough going sometimes. Congrats
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's just fantastic and makes it all worth while!! Congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:
  • geethsuma
    geethsuma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thats a brilliant result!!! Congrats.
    That really gives me hope.
  • Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome, great work. I didnt think diabetes could be cured (type 1 AND type 2) if you had a load of carbs would your blood sugars go high again?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Fantastic results! Congratulations! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Well done
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL news!
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a Type 1 diabetic, you've saved yourself a hell of a lot of future problems ! , Well Done
  • bepositive79
    bepositive79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well DOne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Great news and great result for your efforts.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What a reward for all your effort and hard work!! :drinker:
  • underarms
    underarms Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    congrats! your hard work as paid off! fantastic results!
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Brilliant news!!!! Well done!
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    All I can think to say is CONGRATULATIONS! If I were you I'd be constantly grinning ear to ear and doing a little happy dance :flowerforyou:
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding news! I love to hear people beating the diseases that are caused by diet...with diet instead of taking medications. It's a way to permanently change things in your body so that you don't have to worry about it ever again! Very very proud of you!
  • graceisfree
    graceisfree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome, great work. I didnt think diabetes could be cured (type 1 AND type 2) if you had a load of carbs would your blood sugars go high again?

It can't, but it can certainly be in 'remission' of sorts or controlled.
    The subject is of *much* debate with diabetics of all kinds, T1. T1.5, T2 etc.

Type 1 can't be cured, it's an autoimmune response where the body just stops or becomes ineffective in the making of insulin. If there was a cure for THAT, you would'nt believe the party :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: a 'get down kiss the ground' sort of thing.

T2'ers on the other hand, through a couple of different mechanisms either don't make enough insulin because their beta cells are worn out, or they make enough, just resistant. Lose weight, decrease amount of food,including carby foods, and demand on pancreas & insulin demand goes down.

Beta cells make insulin, high blood sugars are toxic to beta cells, so it's a vicious cycle of highs if you don't get diet, exercise and weight under control. I've noticed that I particularly don't lose control over the course of days, rather the course of weeks, (if I get slack) gradually, the numbers creep up.

This being said, It's WONDERFUL news you've got there :flowerforyou: However, should you fall off & are not mindful of the amount and quality of carbs you consume, and weight goes up etc, you might find yourself. Cured indicates it will not come back, but unfortunately, my research suggest this isn't the case.

Good job on those fantastic numbers, keep up the good work :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding news! I love to hear people beating the diseases that are caused by diet...with diet instead of taking medications. It's a way to permanently change things in your body so that you don't have to worry about it ever again! Very very proud of you!

Studies indicate diabetes is not caused by diet, rather the other way around with a high component of genetic feature.

It's hereditary. If you've ever had gestational diabetes, if you have a family member with diabetes, if you carry most of your weight around your middle, if you find yourself falling asleep after meals, you have an increased chance of developing T2D.

Just because one is overweight and diabetic does not mean that diabetes caused the excess weight.
    In fact, the excess weight is likely a result of the diabetes. T2 Diabetes is often a symptom of other metabolic dysfunction, like PCOS, Syndrome X, Thyroid dysfunction etc.

There are lots of thin diabetics. :ohwell:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!