1,000 days logged, 220 pounds lost (100% natural.), its time for plastic surgery.

Options

Replies

• amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK! You are probably only going to do this once, so get it done right. Don't bargain hunt. I have seen bad plastic surgery and it looks worse than the original problem they had fixed.
    I had a tummy tuck and a boob lift after my kids. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I used (a few years ago) www.makemeheal.com. they were a great support group. One of the only places I could show pictures and get real answers. They were amazing when I was scared to death on a weekend about a dry healing patch which turned out to be nothing
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss. Does age matter whether to get the surgery?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Great job man you look great. No I do not have any experience with plastic surgery. Again I have to commend you on all the hard work.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I read your original story. While it is impressive in its own right, it was even more amazing when I realized that it was posted 2 years ago. Congrats on not just your loss, but your maintenance! Way to go!
    Sorry, no tips on surgery. But I thought you deserved the praise :)
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Just had to say congratulations! This was so nice to see! :smiley:
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job and very inspirational. Especially for those of us at the beginning of the process of losing a whole person or two.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    That is very nice of you guys.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lots of my formerly obese clients had it done with great success. Always evaluate the surgeon and cost though. Much kudos to your success and good luck with surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Amazing and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing your journey and I wish you the best in finding the right surgeon for this next phase! :)
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Thanks for these compliments.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    That is incredible, you look wonderful.

I had consultations with several plastic surgeons for just a neck and face lift and some sculpting on my arms as that is my trouble spots and was told by each one to wait at least 1 yr after losing weight to see how much will go tighten up on its own. If its bothersome and causing skin irritations or infections they may do it sooner. Its not cheap to have it done but for me it will be well worth it to have my confidence back and feel good about how I look.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not there yet, but any tips on getting this insurance paid? If paying cash/out of pocket, what is an expected cost? I think if I hit goal at around 190 that I'll have a massive amount of excess skin rolls. I was over 300lbs for the better part of 25 years. The skin isn't that resilient...
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ZeroTX wrote: »
    Not there yet, but any tips on getting this insurance paid? If paying cash/out of pocket, what is an expected cost? I think if I hit goal at around 190 that I'll have a massive amount of excess skin rolls. I was over 300lbs for the better part of 25 years. The skin isn't that resilient...

Not sure about the insurance, I think it is only covered if its causing you medical issues. Out of pocket for neck/face lift was anywhere from $6,000- $11,000 and arm sculpting was another $5,000- $8000 that includes an overnight stay at the hospital and all aftercare.
  • PosterGuy1
    Options
    Great tips.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had plastic surgery June 2014. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I would love to have my arms done, but I couldn't afford it ($7,000) -- maybe someday.

I saw 7 different surgeons before I picked one. I would definitely do your research online before you see any doctors. Get familiar with the procedures you think you may need & look at a bunch of before/after pictures so you can ask the right questions while you are in your consultation. I made a list of questions I wanted to ask each one and then I took notes during each consultation. I was glad I did because they all kind of ran together in my mind. Each doctor had a different idea of the best approach to solve my different issues. Some of them agreed with each other & some ideas were totally different. They weren't all free, but most of them were. I was OK with paying though because they did spend a great deal of time with me. My surgery was self pay.

The only other thing I would do is pick someone fairly close to you if you can find someone good. I looked at surgeons up to 2 hours away from my house, but ended up picking one near home. I was very glad I did because I ended up getting a seroma which had to be drained every week by needle. The drive would have been inconvenient & painful.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    ZeroTX wrote: »

Not sure about the insurance, I think it is only covered if its causing you medical issues

I'm not an expert either...but my layman impression would tend to agree.

Most medical insurance doesn't cover cosmetic surgery, which would include this in most cases
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think I'm missing something here- your original post about your weight loss had you losing the 200 lbs the first year, but it looks like you've continued to eat a 1300 calorie diet this past year. Doesn't seem like there would be anything left of you to have surgery on! I don't have any personal knowledge about this, but I would think you would want to have a good amount of experience eating at maintenance before considering surgery.