Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I can second the Fitbit recommendation
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. I used the Scooby calculator and used "Desk Job with Little Exercise" to get my TDEE (2250). I try to keep my calories at or below that number and then put ALL of my exercise calories (usually 600+) toward weight-loss. This has worked well for me. It's probably a little more aggressive than it needs to be, but I have occasional slip ups with eating so this gives me a little wiggle room. :wink:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    paxbfl wrote: »
    Interesting discussion. I used the Scooby calculator and used "Desk Job with Little Exercise" to get my TDEE (2250). I try to keep my calories at or below that number and then put ALL of my exercise calories (usually 600+) toward weight-loss. This has worked well for me. It's probably a little more aggressive than it needs to be, but I have occasional slip ups with eating so this gives me a little wiggle room. :wink:

That's more likely your NEAT, not your TDEE.

TDEE is all your daily energy expenditure. It includes your normal daily activity and your exercise. It doesn't make a distinction between the two.

If you're burning more than 600 calories per day in exercise, you should really factor those into your TDEE, and subtract a reasonable deficit from that. Just make sure that the 600 calories is accurate -- it's possible it's an over-estimation of your burn.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Erm no i think thats way to low... what are your stats and do you exercise? my TDEE is about 2300, i have a 25% deficit and eat around 1700 calories a day i train 4 times a week doing body combat...

A TDEE of 1600 isn't unrealistic.

I'm 5'2 at around 123 lbs. My TDEE is around 1700 ish - that's with 4 weight training sessions a week. I am mostly sedentary throughout the day. 1600-1700 for a small petite woman is actually quite common. I WISH I DID have a higher TDEE ;)

She is 5'7" and 202 lbs though...
    That formula looks like BMR not TDEE. It gives me a number just over 1200 and my TDEE is nearly 2100. I am 5'0' and 115 lbs.

Ah fair enough!

OP - I'd strongly suggest getting a Fitbit. Mine has been really, really accurate! It's also encouraged me to exercise more ;)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the FitBit.
    It may not be 100% accurate, but it has to be closer than a generic one size fits all, "guess what we mean by these activity level words" formula.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Remember TDEE already includes exercise. You do not log and eat back exercise calories when using that method. You take a percentage off (usually 15-20%) and aim for that every day.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--your BMR(which is part of TDEE) is probably closer to the number you posted above. The TDEE number higher than 2,000 sounds reasonable. I'd recommend using the scooby link provided and adjust from there for weight loss.

For an example--we are the same body weight so my numbers:

BMR--1900

MFP sedentary and maintenance(no weight gain or loss) 2,550

TDEE if active 3,300 or higher

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Erm no i think thats way to low... what are your stats and do you exercise? my TDEE is about 2300, i have a 25% deficit and eat around 1700 calories a day i train 4 times a week doing body combat...

I'm 5'2 at around 123 lbs. My TDEE is around 1700 ish - that's with 4 weight training sessions a week. I am mostly sedentary throughout the day. 1600-1700 for a small petite woman is actually quite common. I WISH I DID have a higher TDEE ;)

NOt sure why yours is so low to be honest...my sister is 5lbs lighter and her TDEE is about 2300...she doesn't lift...

She is active tho with resistance training and cardio.

TDEE is actually a choice and you could have a higher one.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

NOt sure why yours is so low to be honest...my sister is 5lbs lighter and her TDEE is about 2300...she doesn't lift...

She is active tho with resistance training and cardio.

TDEE is actually a choice and you could have a higher one.

I'm sedentary from 8AM-4PM Mon-Fri. I go to the gym 4 times a week and weight train and I do try to get around 6000 steps a day. At weekends, my TDEE can be anything from 1900-2400 as I'm much more active. During the week however, 1700 is about right for me. It's a choice, yes - but I'm as active as I can handle at the moment and I'm easing up on the cardio for a while..
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" /105 and my TDEE hovers around the 1700 range when I'm relatively active. If I'm sedentary, it goes down to about 1400-1500 or so. (My BMR is in the 1100 range.)

It also depends on your age. And on your body composition; lower body fat percentage usually means higher TDEE because muscle burns more calories than fat when at rest.