A real eye opener for me.

Options
I had a major surgery 11 days ago. Finally got on the scale today and I have gained 9 lbs. It took me a month to lose those 9 #!!!
My sedentary tdee is 1844. So to gain those 9# I must be averaging 4500 calories per day. The sad part is I bet I don't lose those 9 # in 11 days. Some weight may be water but my stomach and thighs have definitely expanded. I'm going to start eating 1300 calories again and see what the next 11 days brings. So sad. : (

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Don't worry, if you just had surgery your body is likely retaining a good bit of water, it is part of the trauma and healing process. You will loose most of it while you recover unless you have been really overdoing it with your diet.

ETA: Don't start eating 1300 unless you have your doctor's approval, you need to heal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, if you just had surgery your body is likely retaining a good bit of water, it is part of the trauma and healing process. You will loose most of it while you recover unless you have been really overdoing it with your diet.

ETA: Don't start eating 1300 unless you have your doctor's approval, you need to heal.

This...post surgery there is going to be fluid retention for sure. Breath.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    So you honestly think you're eating 4500 calories a day? Is someone bringing in all your food from Sonic & the Cheesecake Factory. Really, it's probably just water weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    So you honestly think you're eating 4500 calories a day? Is someone bringing in all your food from Sonic & the Cheesecake Factory. Really, it's probably just water weight.

This. Seriously.

Talk to your doctor before cutting down to 1300 calories per day. Healing from major surgery is taxing on the body. It's not the greatest time to cut down on energy intake.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    They actually fill your open spaces with liquid for some surgeries.

And, a whole month to lose 9#? ....Oh my sweet summer child... Is a month sooooo very long?
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i had a spinal fusion. My body burned so many calories during the healing process that I lost 15 pounds which was the beginning of my 75 pound weight loss. Don't cut back now, your body needs to heal after a major surgery. Don't worry, it will come off again. I hope you have a quick, pain free recovery.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. It was such a shock to see that number on the scale! The doctor has me on 5 medicines that make me sick if not taken with quite a bit of food. And I stopped weighing and logging. I will at least start doing that again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

This. Lots of water. Water water water.

PS: 9# in a month is AWESOME. Especially for a woman over 50!
  • hamelle2
    Options
    were you eating fast food for every meal those 11 days? and chips and dip for snacks?

Let's just say I find ice cream and twinkies to be very comforting and easy on my stomach. :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OR you have water retention from the surgery???
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It is ok to feel fragile and vulnerable after surgery but do not harm your recovery by trying to lose these pounds right away. If you need to feel in control start logging again but stay away from the scale for a while. Also, run everything by your doctor first.
  • hamelle2
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

It is so nice to have great advice when you're freaking out! Thank you! I could blame the pain meds for my crazy thoughts too. Lol
  • hamelle2
    Options

This. Lots of water. Water water water.

PS: 9# in a month is AWESOME. Especially for a woman over 50!

Thank you. I tend to lose quickly when focusing and doing the right things but I also gain it quickly too. I lost 20 lbs so there would be less stress on my new hip. Honestly, I have been overdoing it. My kids bring me wonderful, horrible high calorie foods. Time to knock that off! Thank you
  • hamelle2
    Options
    2 years ago i had a spinal fusion. My body burned so many calories during the healing process that I lost 15 pounds which was the beginning of my 75 pound weight loss. Don't cut back now, your body needs to heal after a major surgery. Don't worry, it will come off again. I hope you have a quick, pain free recovery.

I would be thrilled to be able to follow your lead. I hope your surgery was successful. Your weight loss is amazing. Thank you!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Please just focus on recovery. The weight will come off. We're all here to support you when you're healed and ready. Wishing you good health!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    They actually fill your open spaces with liquid for some surgeries.

And, a whole month to lose 9#? ....Oh my sweet summer child... Is a month sooooo very long?

Yep to the bolded. I was going to point that out. You're most likely looking at a LOT of water weight. Dont fret and be sure to drink lots of water. Go easy on yourself while you heal.

@WBB55 I lolled at "my sweet summer child" I've got two summer babies. Gonna start using that one. :)
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I came home 11 lbs. heavier after a surgery. It took me at least two weeks to drop it.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had major jaw surgery over a year ago and a week post op I had gained 6lbs, a week later I had dropped 20. And then I got to eat again and gained it all right back. Its a strange time for your body, heal before worrying about your weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yup.

Just before I started with MFP, I had 2 surgeries a week apart. All of a sudden I packed on about 6 kg! I could hardly believe it ...