2»

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Nice article from T-Nation that discusses grip. Explains how to do a hook grip.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-dont-use-a-mixed-grip-when-deadlifting

My hands literally are not big enough to do this.

I should say, my fingers are not long enough to do this.

At least not with the bars at my gym.

I have pretty short fingers as I'm 5'9 and my fingers are maybe 1/4" longer than my 5'2 wife's.

Now I sort of want to revisit trying it to see if it was just my noobishness that was causing the issue, but I just remember not being able to pull it off at all.

I can't do it. I have long enough fingers, but hook grip caused more damage than it saved me from. Straps are a decent option and switching the mixed grip from side to side works too. Competitive powerlifters don't even bother with caring about imbalance because it works in their favor.

Hook grip can go suck a ...

My hands are too small and I about tore my thumb nail from its bed trying to do this.

Hook grip not for me either. I can't really bend my thumbs that well. I blame my life as an office drone.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If nobody has heard of "Kroc Rows" made famous by the former Matt Kroc, these are great for training the upper back and grip strength. It's basically high rep DB Rows with a little bit of "English" allowed, they're brutal.
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    If nobody has heard of "Kroc Rows" made famous by the former Matt Kroc, these are great for training the upper back and grip strength. It's basically high rep DB Rows with a little bit of "English" allowed, they're brutal.
    In my case, the heaviest dumbbells I have access to are only 100 lbs. Although they are not Krocs, Meadows rows have become a fast favorite.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Kroc rows are brutal and awesome.

@nakedraygun I wish that being limited by 100lb dbs was my problem. lol

My gym has DBs up to at least 150 but they're on the rack I've never had the need to use.

Yet. :D
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    In my case, the heaviest dumbbells I have access to are only 100 lbs. Although they are not Krocs, Meadows rows have become a fast favorite.

I'll have to YouTube that one, thanks.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    generally I'll use an over hand grip to start my DL session then switch to a mixed grip when that fails. Then within my top work set I will alternate hands every couple reps or so to try and keep it even.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do double overhand until I start getting to the really heavy 1 rep max range and then start using the mixed. But I alternate so I don't build up one side more then the other.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I use DOH until I hit around 380. After that it's mixed or DOH w straps. I don't hook grip.
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I use DOH until I hit around 380. After that it's mixed or DOH w straps. I don't hook grip.

All my strength work is done switched, from the first warm-up to the last heavy single. For me, its important to get locked-in and set-up in my "heavy pulling form" before I hit the heavy stuff.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

All my strength work is done switched, from the first warm-up to the last heavy single. For me, its important to get locked-in and set-up in my "heavy pulling form" before I hit the heavy stuff.

I've got to mostly agree with this. I switch to mixed grip far earlier then I have to, but I do my first couple warm ups double over.

Just noticed on video today that I tend to switch which hands over as I'm resetting between reps.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

I've got to mostly agree with this. I switch to mixed grip far earlier then I have to, but I do my first couple warm ups double over.

Just noticed on video today that I tend to switch which hands over as I'm resetting between reps.

I used to never do mixed. But I am now doing it more often. I just like to see how far I can take my DOH grip.