hiatus hernia and bile reflux

Options
Hi Everyone

I went for an endoscopy yesterday following bouts of attacks and sicknes - i would throw up bile and i thought the pain was that bad i was having a heart attack lol..

anyways does anyone else have this? im waiting on the consultants appointment for my next steps lol. but i feel better that i have my answers. them attacks were sending me around the bend as each time i went a&e the bloods were normal lol

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a hiatus hernia. As long as you only have a sliding hernia (instead of a permanent one which requires surgery) the only thing you can do is prevention. Eat more frequent, smaller, meals; don't wear anything really tight around your waist, like tight jeans, when you do eat a bigger meal; avoid larger quantities of slowly digesting food (learned this one the hard way when I had a big bowl of steamed broccoli); eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly; and learn the signals of an impending attack so you can stop eating immediately.

Yes, the attacks do have many of the same symptoms of a heart attack, including the pain in the left shoulder radiating down the left arm. For me, it usually means laying in bed in the fetal position taking shallow breaths until either the stomach slides back down to where it belongs or I vomit whatever food is stuck in the hernia. losing weight has really helped and I don't have them nearly as often as I used to. Good luck.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have a hiatal hernia. Food will come up whole. It happens when I overeat, so I eat smaller meals now. Also don't move around a lot after eating. I eat after I workout because the jostling makes things worse.