Why is too much sodium bad for you?

Why is sodium good and/or bad for you.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    a google search turned up this

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/sodium-health-risks-and-disease/

Who’s at high risk of developing health problems related to salt consumption?
    •People over age 50
    •People who have high or slightly elevated blood pressure
    •People who have diabetes
    •African Americans

What happens to my body if I eat too much sodium?

In most people, the kidneys have trouble keeping up with the excess sodium in the bloodstream. As sodium accumulates, the body holds onto water to dilute the sodium. This increases both the amount of fluid surrounding cells and the volume of blood in the bloodstream. Increased blood volume means more work for the heart and more pressure on blood vessels. Over time, the extra work and pressure can stiffen blood vessels, leading to high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke,. It can also lead to heart failure. There is also some evidence that too much salt can damage the heart, aorta, and kidneys without increasing blood pressure, and that it may be bad for bones, too.

High blood pressure is a leading cause of cardiovascular disease. It accounts for two-thirds of all strokes and half of heart disease. (1) In China, high blood pressure is the leading cause of preventable death, responsible for more than one million deaths a year. (2)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Increase your potassium - it will take care of the Sodium. :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    It puts you at a greater risk for developing heart disease, especially if high blood pressure runs in your family. You can offset excessive sodium intake by eating more potassium, but most people are deficient in potassium to begin with.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to avoid sodium. Especially if active. Most studies regarding sodium took place decades ago and have shown to be wrong. Just make sure to get an adequate amount of potassium and stay hydrated. Other than that, there's no harm assuming you don't have a medical condition that it will affect. This is going to sound crazy but I take in anywhere from 4-7 grams of sodium a day.....I love my salt lol.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Check this out. It will answer many questions: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

Next time you have a physical, ask the doctor what is best for you.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Sodium makes your blood thicker.