Don't always believe what you read on the internet............

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't think there is promoting of fad diets around here, but I do see a lot of coddling of it. If you looked around right now on the front page of this very forum, you'd wouldn't be too hard pressed to find an example.
    And while I believe it's great to inform people of correct information, I also believe that it doesn't need to be force fed. Regardless if it's correct or not, the person that it's being conveyed to has to be WILLING to accept it. And telling people they are wrong without tact, usually doesn't make them that willing. Tact does make a difference.
    Realistically any program works if people adhere to the process. It's just that we all know that it's still based on calorie deficit, just with more lights and hoopla.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is promoting of fad diets around here, but I do see a lot of coddling of it. If you looked around right now on the front page of this very forum, you'd wouldn't be too hard pressed to find an example.

plexus, green tea, stop eating fruit, sugar addiction, clean 9, juicing...

I can't believe the number of grown men eating like 12-year old girls. 1100-1200 calories/day, while simultaneously claiming that they want to "put on some muscle". Bro, do you even nutrition??? LOL.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    And while I believe it's great to inform people of correct information, I also believe that it doesn't need to be force fed. Regardless if it's correct or not, the person that it's being conveyed to has to be WILLING to accept it. And telling people they are wrong without tact, usually doesn't make them that willing. Tact does make a difference.
    Realistically any program works if people adhere to the process. It's just that we all know that it's still based on calorie deficit, just with more lights and hoopla.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I needed the tough love to shatter the weight loss myths that I KNEW were true when I came here. There is value in a direct confrontation of things that are not based in fact. People can do it with tact and in my experience, it is still vilified. I am glad I was not coddled and now I see more coddling and white knighting than ever. I am glad I got in and made the changes I needed to before the tides changed.

Amen. I'm glad I have experience in forumland and had a pretty good idea who really has the information

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I needed the tough love to shatter the weight loss myths that I KNEW were true when I came here. There is value in a direct confrontation of things that are not based in fact. People can do it with tact and in my experience, it is still vilified. I am glad I was not coddled and now I see more coddling and white knighting than ever. I am glad I got in and made the changes I needed to before the tides changed.
    As an experienced person in the field of weight loss who deals with people face to face on a daily basis, not EVERYONE is so accepting of information however correct it is. As much as I'd like to believe that people can distinguish between what's factual and what's anecdote, that's not the case.
    Tough love doesn't work for everyone. Just like militant training (shouting or getting in your face) or Zen harmony training works for everyone. Some of my clients love boxing, and some don't regardless of the effectiveness. I have clients that do Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, etc. and don't chastise them for it. I may mention to them that it's basically a calorie deficit program and if they're willing to learn more about how to do it without them, I'll gladly teach them. But I don't insist they learn it that way and that their way is useless. Some people may have to take more than one shot at this and as much as we'd like them to learn it right the first time, it's still gotta be up to them to accept it.
    I can say that it's been a great experience so far learning about how to inspire all types of different people and personalities since not just one way works.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bhghzhe7lbp2.gif
    11. No Airing of Grievances With Moderators

a) Protesting a moderator or admin action is not allowed on the Forums or in Groups. If you have a question or concern about a moderator or admin action, please email one of the moderators or Alex, MFP's Community Manager, with your concern and we will investigate the matter promptly.
    b) If you have concerns about another poster, or wish to report a guideline violation, the only appropriate venue is to use the Report Post link or to message a moderator or Olivia, MFP's Community Manager. You may not air such concerns on the message boards themselves. If you have a general concern that does not involve a specific member, you may post your question in the Feedback or Help forums.
    AND
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

The only appropriate avenue for voicing concerns regarding moderator actions or problems you are having with the moderation team and/or specific moderators is to send a PM to either Alex or Nova. Concerns over the moderation policies should not be aired on the forums, as they cause hate and discontent and tears and drama and discussion hi-jacking.

This discussion is about all the woo and the fact that we shouldn't believe everything we read just because it's 'out there'. It is a discussion that points out that people should do their own research and make up their own minds regarding the science and what works for them.

This thread has been substantially cleaned. In some cases, posts that did not violate guidelines were removed due to the fact that they may have at some point along the way quoted a post that was removed for cause... and I freaking HATE the quote feature, because it makes me want to throw my computer when I have to clean up discussions.

Anyway, I digress. Please folks, keep it on topic.
    JustSomeEm
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's just that we all know that it's still based on calorie deficit, just with more lights and hoopla.
    How do we know it's simply just a matter of calories in and calories out? They say that a lot at Mark's Daily Apple, then they bust out with a cuppa with a 75gr of butter in it.
    Calories are a measurement of energy. Whether it's from a carb or a fat, or a protein the value of energy is still the same. 10 calories of fat equals 10 calories of carbs equals 10 calories of protein.
    Everyone burns calories and a calorie deficit is needed to lose body mass. There are no Journals of Medicine or physiology that would argue that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's just that we all know that it's still based on calorie deficit, just with more lights and hoopla.
    How do we know it's simply just a matter of calories in and calories out? They say that a lot at Mark's Daily Apple, then they bust out with a cuppa with a 75gr of butter in it.
    Calories are a measurement of energy. Whether it's from a carb or a fat, or a protein the value of energy is still the same. 10 calories of fat equals 10 calories of carbs equals 10 calories of protein.
    Everyone burns calories and a calorie deficit is needed to lose body mass. There are no Journals of Medicine or physiology that would argue that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, this. Deep down under all that complicated stuff it comes down to the simple fact that every single action takes an energy input as per the laws of physics. We know how much energy food provides and we have fairly good estimates of the amount of energy an average person needs to do the things a person does in a day. Any energy the body needs that is not provided by food has to come from your body's stores, or you'd die.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    CICO is immutable, so I'm not sure why it would matter whether a mod talked about it. Makes it seem like that much more important to newcomers to the forums.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, I know, just after being a lurker for a long time, I got a bit of a tingle over seeing a mod talking about the immutability of the CICO paradigm.

ETA - with that said, it's time to get a burger.

Then you might be surprised to know that we all agree. And generally those who do not agree with with it, honestly don't understand the full energy balance equation. In fact, all the blogs that "debunk" CICO tend to always talk about the various effects of digestion between protein, fats and carbs.. while not realize that TEF effects CO.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone argues that definition of calorie. For some people, eating low carbs and more fats may be successful for them if that way of eating leaves them less hungry.

Why would people argue with success?