Not sure what to do anymore

Options
I've been fighting the battle of weight loss for 35 years. Up and down the scale. I want to finally get off this ride but I'm so confused on how to do it. I've tried almost everything (sorry no cabbage soup diet here). I've been on Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, weight loss through my doctor, Atkins, calorie counting and the list goes on. I'm 50 and desperate.

How did you finally found a way of eating that worked for you?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Counted calories and used a food scale to get accurate.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I thought about the foods I liked and the ones I could do without, and did without most of the latter.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You don't need "a diet." You just need to eat less calories than your body burns, period. Put your information into MFP, along with how much weight you want to lose, and stay at the calorie goals MFP gives you.

That's it. Well, that and the absolute desire and motivation to finally take control and do it.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You have to find a balance in nutrition and taste that works for you and you alone.Start by logging what you eat on a regular basis with no restrictions for a couple of weeks then go back and see where you can cut things down to a level that fits your goals and mfp's recommendations for cals. Fats and protein typically keep you fuller longer but, everyone is different.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend losing weight slowly. Counting calories is the best way I know of to do this because you can make your deficit small and precise. What you eat is up to you, although it goes without saying you want to focus on nutrient dense foods primarily. Personally, as I age, I can't seem to be able to handle the extremes I once could. I have no interest in starving myself or exercising to exhaustion the way I once would. I aim for .5lb/week and bump up to maintenance whenever I need to (sick, celebration, big project I need all my energy for, whatever). Good luck!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend losing weight slowly. Counting calories is the best way I know of to do this because you can make your deficit small and precise. What you eat is up to you, although it goes without saying you want to focus on nutrient dense foods primarily. Personally, as I age, I can't seem to be able to handle the extremes I once could. I have no interest in starving myself or exercising to exhaustion the way I once would. I aim for .5lb/week and bump up to maintenance whenever I need to (sick, celebration, big project I need all my energy for, whatever). Good luck!

THIS! :-)