Anyone here NOT use a food scale?

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my scale.I have zero ability to eyeball stuff and above average ability to rationalize and use bs justifications. Hence, the scale. It just makes my life so much easier. And I find its a lot easier to convert a measurement from grams to servings when a "serving" of something doesn't specify size or says "approx. 1/5 of the box", cause then I can weigh the total against my portion to find out if I really grabbed "approx 1/5 of the box".

I tested it out just now between paragraphs. I drink the EXACT SAME cup of coffee every day and have done so for years. When I eyeball the cream and sugar, it comes up as 13grams heavier than when I purposefully measure it, and yes, I'm enjoying it now anyway. 13 grams doesn't seem like much until you apply that weight to coffeemate and white cane sugar. Then it matters. I love my scale. It keeps me from over eating and from ending up with too sweet coffee:)

You should do whatever makes your coffee.......ahem.... Life easier.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh my food on a scale. It makes me anxious and upset and makes me feel like I'm a slave to food, which is the exact OPPOSITE of the relationship I want to have with it. However, I do measure things with spoons/cups and have a pretty good idea of the volumetrics of things. As a professional chemist, I'm highly aware of the need for consistency, and as a lifelong baker doubly so...

Would a scale improve my diet? Probably, a little, But I don't care as long as I'm losing weight (5 lbs/month steadily for almost 1 year now!). Would it improve my baking? Likely more than it would improve my diet, but I'm not that motivated to give up my (miniscule) counter space for that either.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Downside of the scale: when you've already logged your coffee and it's components and THE DARN TWO YEAR OLD POURS IT ALL OVER THE COFFEE TABLE, and you have to do it all over again.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I don't really find it necessary? I can guesstimate the portion size, based off of the information on the packaging. Plus, I try to guess a little higher on the portion size, that way I'm actually eating less calories than my profile says. (That might seem silly, but I feel like it has helped me not overeat!)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Downside of the scale: when you've already logged your coffee and it's components and THE DARN TWO YEAR OLD POURS IT ALL OVER THE COFFEE TABLE, and you have to do it all over again.

Or if you're like me, you just spill it yourself.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

Or if you're like me, you just spill it yourself.

09043lqcjr1c.jpg

Nope! I stopped using regular mugs because A. I'm clumsy as all get out, and B. The aforementioned 2 year old. I only ever use this now. Plus I'm a sipper. I will drink one solitary cup of coffee over a period of like 6 hours. So that's kind of hard if it keeps getting cold.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have similar mug for work. I have still almost spilled it though. And I've knocked it off the desk once or twice. Definitely a solid investment.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    I have similar mug for work. I have still almost spilled it though. And I've knocked it off the desk once or twice. Definitely a solid investment.

Heck yeah! Almost is better than always!!!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I don't understand how something like a food scale becomes such a divisive and/or anxiety-inducing object. I have lost weight with and without a scale in the past, and weighing is a habit I picked up from weight loss attempts way before MFP - I've had a lot of regains, but I have picked up good habits from each foray into dealing with my weight, and weighing food is one of them, in my opinion. I prefer using my digital scale, and I pretty much universally recommend the use of one.

I want to know, as best as I can, exactly what I am eating. Sometimes 1/2 cup of something, when weighed in grams, only reaches 3/4 of the way to the top of a measuring cup. Sometimes, like another poster mentioned, I even get to eat more. If nothing is eyeballed, then I *know* what I can fit into my day, and I get to have a little extra, or, rarely, I discover that a portion size when weighed is larger than I thought.

If you're already counting calories with doctor's approval in order to lose and already seeing a therapist, then it's only a trigger if you frame it that way - perhaps from unfamiliarity. I know that sounds presumptuous, but here's my reasoning: I am assuming that you use measuring cups on occasion, right?

A scale, like measuring cups, is also just a kitchen tool, and I even use my scale when following a recipe now and when preparing food for other people. It's really easy, for example, to just tare out a jar of peanut butter or mayo and use a spoon to lift out the correct amount of grams or to place a mixing bowl on the scale and dump your baking mix directly into it without having extra cups or spoons to wash.

All that said, as others have mentioned, it's not a requirement to lose. I don't believe I ever used a scale the first time I lost a significant amount of weight. Start without one instead of stressing over it. If you find yourself playing with the same few pounds over and over again or not hitting the proper average weekly loss, you may want to start using one.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't own a food scale. I measure using measuring cups or counting (small things) until I have a good "eyeball" sense, and every so often I'll measure again to recalibrate my brain in case it creeps up or down.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I find using a food scale easier than measuring cups. However, like others have said, I think it is important to get used to portion sizes and using anthropomorphic measurement unless you are willing to bring a food scale along when you eat out (I'm not).

With all things, the proof is in the pudding. If you are losing without a scale then you are being accurate enough. If you aren't, then a scale is an easy thing to add in. If you have ED tendencies you might always have trouble with something so exact, although you could perhaps work with your therapist to address the thinking and feelings that play into this.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I don't use it for EVERYTHING. Some things I just eyeball, especially if it's low in calories. Like, my husband and usually split a bag of frozen vegetables as part of our dinner- I just cook them all together and split them up on our plates as best as I can. However, I find the scale essential for calorie dense foods.

Overall, I think they're a great tool, but not necessary for success. If you can keep it real with your measurements, I don't see why you wouldn't continue to be successful. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with ED tendencies and I completely understand. It's taken me a while to comfortably just track my food in general. Numbers are triggers for me and sends me down a path I don't want to be back on. So, I don't weigh myself (only monthly or every other) or my food. I eyeball and sometimes will measure with cups. I overestimate when I log if it's something that has a high calorie content. Good luck on your journey!
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how something like a food scale becomes such a divisive and/or anxiety-inducing object. I have lost weight with and without a scale in the past, and weighing is a habit I picked up from weight loss attempts way before MFP - I've had a lot of regains, but I have picked up good habits from each foray into dealing with my weight, and weighing food is one of them, in my opinion. I prefer using my digital scale, and I pretty much universally recommend the use of one.

I want to know, as best as I can, exactly what I am eating. Sometimes 1/2 cup of something, when weighed in grams, only reaches 3/4 of the way to the top of a measuring cup. Sometimes, like another poster mentioned, I even get to eat more. If nothing is eyeballed, then I *know* what I can fit into my day, and I get to have a little extra, or, rarely, I discover that a portion size when weighed is larger than I thought.

If you're already counting calories with doctor's approval in order to lose and already seeing a therapist, then it's only a trigger if you frame it that way - perhaps from unfamiliarity. I know that sounds presumptuous, but here's my reasoning: I am assuming that you use measuring cups on occasion, right?

A scale, like measuring cups, is also just a kitchen tool, and I even use my scale when following a recipe now and when preparing food for other people. It's really easy, for example, to just tare out a jar of peanut butter or mayo and use a spoon to lift out the correct amount of grams or to place a mixing bowl on the scale and dump your baking mix directly into it without having extra cups or spoons to wash.

All that said, as others have mentioned, it's not a requirement to lose. I don't believe I ever used a scale the first time I lost a significant amount of weight. Start without one instead of stressing over it. If you find yourself playing with the same few pounds over and over again or not hitting the proper average weekly loss, you may want to start using one.

It's hard to understand the anxiety if you haven't struggled with disordered eating.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me how many people are totally happy with measuring cups and find scales a hassle. It's the opposite for me because I just put my plate on the scale and zero for each thing. No jamming it in a cup and creating extra dishes. Different strokes and all that.

So, yes, I do use a scale but not religiously and generally just for calorie dense items and meat these days. When I first started I found I'm a pretty good eyeballer, possible because I bake so am used to looking at things as a measure.

As for why it's recommended on here so much, it's because usually the thread is someone asking why they aren't losing weight and that 99% of the time is due to inaccurate logging. Using a scale is the easiest way to fix that.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    It's hard to understand the anxiety if you haven't struggled with disordered eating.

I was hospitalized for bulimic behavior, among other things, when I was 18. I would think logging and counting calories and weighing yourself on a regular scale on a regular basis would be more of an issue than measuring the food that you are already counting and logging. It's not just those who have had ED behavior - there are plenty of people who post about food scales with no mention of ED issues who have a very negative perception of them.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    [
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Nope, I figured out early on that guessing doesn't work for me.

Me either. Once I started using a food scale I was able to lose 190# and it was a HUGE asset in learning portion control.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My friend overcame an ED, and she took a nutrition class where she was asked to weigh her food. She requested and received permission to avoid that assignment, since it would trigger her ED.

I totally get it. I am obsessive by nature. I avoid overdoing anything, even in the name of health. Learning to log successfully doesn't require measuring every morsel.

The proof is offered in this thread. Many successful people here have used the logging tool and do not weigh. Live and Let Live!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 35lbs without a food scale. I was very anti food scale and very vocal about it. Really, to the point where I was being an a-hole saying things like "Are you seriously gonna weigh food the rest of your life." Then I got lazy and had a sports injury that wouldn't go away. Over the course of a year between indifference and injury I gained back 10lbs and just couldn't seem to lose it for anything.

Two weeks ago I broke down and got the food scale. I've actually discovered that I underestimated nearly everything I eyeballed, that would lead to unexplained hunger, which would lead to binging at night, which lead to guilt and failure. Now that I know my intake it's easier to control my eating. So to all those "food weighing portion nazis" (yes I did actually call someone that in a post) I apologize. I bow down to your knowledge.