Too much protein? Too little? I could really use some help/guidance, please.

2»

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Fiber and a few more carbs could help.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    jim180155 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here you go...read Mingers analysis http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

Thanks, but I've read that before. Not that I put as much faith in blogs as you do, but I started looking for views contradicting Campbell's because his theories just didn't quite make complete sense. That's when I found your linked blog. I think the blog has some flaws as well. In the end I decided to disregard Campbell's advice and veganism in general because it felt unnatural.

LOL..nice one

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    I think your macro percentages look perfect. Just looking at this, I can see why you are hungry as hell. In my opinion you drink too many calories. Almost 15% of your calories are in the form of a liquid. Way too much. Don't drink any of your calories. Try water, water with lemon, black coffee, and green tea. Also, your fruit is too high. Replace most of your fruit with quality complex carbs like sweet potatoes. Oats if you are OK with moderate grains. Even regular old potatoes work. Fruits are like appetizers, they just make you want to eat more. If you keep your macro balance the same, calories the same, and make these changes, I guarantee you will feel more satisfied.
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
    rontafoya wrote: »
    I think your macro percentages look perfect. Just looking at this, I can see why you are hungry as hell. In my opinion you drink too many calories. Almost 15% of your calories are in the form of a liquid. Way too much. Don't drink any of your calories. Try water, water with lemon, black coffee, and green tea. Also, your fruit is too high. Replace most of your fruit with quality complex carbs like sweet potatoes. Oats if you are OK with moderate grains. Even regular old potatoes work. Fruits are like appetizers, they just make you want to eat more. If you keep your macro balance the same, calories the same, and make these changes, I guarantee you will feel more satisfied.

Thank you I will look into complex carbs and grains. Without getting long winded, the smoothies are only occasionally.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member

Don't drink any of your calories is good advice for most people, but that's because most people are drinking empty calories that don't add anything in the way of nutrition or satiety. That's not the case with Nomadic_frau. Her smoothie is not what I'd drink, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I drink almost 2/3 of my daily calories, with a 500+ calorie smoothie for breakfast and a different 500+ calorie smoothie for lunch. Between the two I'm getting a lot of fruit, greens, fiber, fat and protein. (Carbs too, but I worry about protein first, fat second, and then carbs are an afterthought.) Without the smoothies I find it difficult to hit my macros and stay within my calorie budget. I'm also eating things that would be difficult to eat, especially on a daily basis, on their own. And both smoothies are pretty filling. Because I'm eating them almost every day I rarely have a craving for one of my smoothies, but they're good for nutrition, convenience and keeping hunger at bay.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    I'm not going to spend time reading every comment but I learned recently that unused protein turns into calories
  • jim180155
    I'm not going to spend time reading every comment but I learned recently that unused protein turns into calories
    Unused food turns into calories.
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member

Don't drink any of your calories is good advice for most people, but that's because most people are drinking empty calories that don't add anything in the way of nutrition or satiety. That's not the case with Nomadic_frau. Her smoothie is not what I'd drink, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I drink almost 2/3 of my daily calories, with a 500+ calorie smoothie for breakfast and a different 500+ calorie smoothie for lunch. Between the two I'm getting a lot of fruit, greens, fiber, fat and protein. (Carbs too, but I worry about protein first, fat second, and then carbs are an afterthought.) Without the smoothies I find it difficult to hit my macros and stay within my calorie budget. I'm also eating things that would be difficult to eat, especially on a daily basis, on their own. And both smoothies are pretty filling. Because I'm eating them almost every day I rarely have a craving for one of my smoothies, but they're good for nutrition, convenience and keeping hunger at bay.

Basically you nailed it. I was advised to drink smoothies on days I was not hitting what I needed. The only thing I have been confused on was the protein and that was my fault for not discussing it further. Now I know better. Will I eat that much meat? Probably not, because honestly it's not settling well so I'm going to have to figure out another way to get protein - which will probably be in a smoothie.
  • jim180155
    Wait, that sounded different in my head. Unused protein, like unused carbs and unused dietary fat, turns into fat on your body.
  • pie_eyes
    Wait, that sounded different in my head. Unused protein, like unused carbs and unused dietary fat, turns into fat on your body.

Yeah it was something new I learned. I think of protein as like energy. I'm still learning, I'm a bit of a dumb box.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member

What does this even mean? Protein is a macro-nutrient and all macros are made of calories. Unused or not, it's still calories going into your body.
  • pie_eyes

What does this even mean? Protein is a macro-nutrient and all macros are made of calories. Unused or not, it's still calories going into your body.

I don't know macro nutrient is
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I think people differ on this, but personally I find that drinking calories is less filling for me than eating them, even if they are high nutrient (like a smoothie). It's why I gave up smoothies, even though I like them.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_macronutrients
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Unlearn that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

A calorie is a unit of measurement, like a cm or a lb.. nothing can 'turn into a calorie' that like saying an apple turned into a mile.. it's just nonsensical

all food is categorised as one or other macronutrient (most food has a combination of macronutrients)
    Protein (4 calories per gram)
    Carbohydrate (4 calories per gram)
    Fat (9 calories per gram)

All food can be measured in calories
    Apples - chips - steak - protein shake - celery etc

Food cannot turn into calories, food can be measured in calories

that's why it's an incorrect statement

@Blankly4200
  • jim180155
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think people differ on this, but personally I find that drinking calories is less filling for me than eating them, even if they are high nutrient (like a smoothie). It's why I gave up smoothies, even though I like them.
    There's some truth in what you're saying. If was going to eat a slice of bread or a steak or a bag of potato chips or a cup of broccoli, I'd rather eat them un-blended, and I think I'd find them more filling un-blended.

But that's not what I'm eating in a smoothie. Between my two daily smoothies I'm eating milk, coconut milk, yogurt, kefir, protein powder, casein, chia seeds, oat bran, wheat bran, ginger root, tumeric, kale, carrots, banana, pineapple, grapes, and blueberries. Blended, they come out as a thick sludge with the help of a spatula. I could eat all that as a weird salad and a couple drinks, but I like it as a smoothie.