Not sure what to call it, I'm going with 'transitional body' blues.

Options
Ashtoretet
Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
I'm at the point where I've lost so much weight, and muscle along with it, that everything is just a bit saggy right now. I know the answer is to just keep going until I get to my goal weight, let time work its magic on my skin, and to do more strength training to retain the muscle I have left, but it's just depressing! All this work and this is all it's yielded? Sure I can wear a size 8 now, but my butt looked better when I was fatter! I know this is how it must be if I want to lose weight quickly (2 pounds a week) it's just..bleh.

Anyone else going through this?

Replies

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not going through the same thing, but my husband's aunt is always going on about how rebounding helps tighten loose skin. Not sure if that's something you would be able to try out or not, but she has a bunch of people's testimonials stating things along that line, and other benefits.
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost weight very slowly (over a three year period) and worked out during my weight loss and I did not encounter any problems with saggy skin. I am not really sure what will help...Others may know but maybe beef up your workouts include some HIT and tougher strength training...Good Luck to you.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Get to the gym and start lifting weights. You absolutely do not need to wait until your goal weight is reached. It will help you retain what muscle you have left, and even in a deficit, you can build some strength (newbie gains). Not only that, but women who lift weights generally have a better body self-image than those who don't. Do it, it will be worth it!
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When I first lost weight I always said "I should have just stayed fat! I look gross with all this skin!" it wasn't until I gained the weight back and viewing pictures of myself at my lowest weight I was in shock! I had no clue how much weight I lose and how great I looked with a bit of saggy skin. It takes a much longer time for your mental view of you to change.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I'm not going through the same thing, but my husband's aunt is always going on about how rebounding helps tighten loose skin. Not sure if that's something you would be able to try out or not, but she has a bunch of people's testimonials stating things along that line, and other benefits.

Rebounding?! As in the mini-trampoline? If so, I can't quite see how jumping up and down helps loose skin, but I could be wrong.

OP, maybe losing weight too quickly is causing too much loose skin. Perhaps if you slow down your loss it may help a bit in the long run.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. It takes your brain time to catch up to how you look. You won't like how you look no matter what for a while.
    2. The end results are never how we picture them, so you'll experience a bit of let down.
    3. If you haven't taken the time to learn to love yourself no matter how you look you'll struggle with disappointment for a while.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Rebounding?! As in the mini-trampoline? If so, I can't quite see how jumping up and down helps loose skin, but I could be wrong.

OP, maybe losing weight too quickly is causing too much loose skin. Perhaps if you slow down your loss it may help a bit in the long run.

Yes as in a mini-trampoline. I'm not sure how it would work either, but she swears by it.
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get depressed while losing weight. No one talks about it, as we all think weight loss should cure all our problems. Some people mourn the loss of eating for emotion reasons. Remember, you are better off healthy with a little extra skin!
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always remind myself that as long as I am healthy and look good with clothes ON that's what matters. I don;t need to look good naked. My husband loved me fat and loves me thin with saggy skin. Be proud of what you have done to take care of yourself and be patient- you'll get there.
  • Ashtoretet
    Options
    Get to the gym and start lifting weights. You absolutely do not need to wait until your goal weight is reached. It will help you retain what muscle you have left, and even in a deficit, you can build some strength (newbie gains). Not only that, but women who lift weights generally have a better body self-image than those who don't. Do it, it will be worth it!

I've been strength training since day one of my fitness journey, I've had my newbie gains and lost them already. I'm eating at a 1000 calorie deficit, I'm just not going to be able to hold onto a lot of muscle unless I stop losing weight and I've got another 38 pounds to go.
    christyg74 wrote: »
    A lot of people get depressed while losing weight. No one talks about it, as we all think weight loss should cure all our problems. Some people mourn the loss of eating for emotion reasons. Remember, you are better off healthy with a little extra skin!

Thanks for this. There are so many way-too-upbeat threads around here that I always feel like the odd one out because I don't have boundless energy, I still have the conditions I started with, and I know I don't look the way I want yet. Glad to hear from someone being real.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You should probably change your setting to lose half a pound per week. I know that sounds slow, but it will prevent damage and your mood will probably improve.
  • Ashtoretet
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You should probably change your setting to lose half a pound per week. I know that sounds slow, but it will prevent damage and your mood will probably improve.

I have a medical reason to lose 8 more pounds quickly. I've been considering lowering my goal to 1 pound afterward. Thanks for your input.

Edited for clarity.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I've lost so much weight, and muscle along with it, that everything is just a bit saggy right now. I know the answer is to just keep going until I get to my goal weight, let time work its magic on my skin, and to do more strength training to retain the muscle I have left, but it's just depressing! All this work and this is all it's yielded? Sure I can wear a size 8 now, but my butt looked better when I was fatter! I know this is how it must be if I want to lose weight quickly (2 pounds a week) it's just..bleh.

Sort of.

I've lost 24 kg in 8 months, and with clothes on, I look all right, but I'm a bit wrinkly and saggy underneath.

The first 15 kg went at 1 kg/week ... the remaining 9 kg have gone at about 0.5 kg/week because I deliberately slowed things down. One of the reasons I deliberately slowed things down was because I wanted to start exercising a lot more, including strength training. I've still got about 3 kg to go, and part of me would like to speed things up and finish it in 3 weeks, but really, I'm OK with it taking 6 weeks if it means I can comfortably do more exercise.

So you might consider slowing things a bit. I know you've got at least another 8 lbs to go, but if you aim for, say, 1.5 lb/week instead of 2 lb/week, it's only going to take you a little bit longer.

Another thing I've heard is that it takes about 2 years for the skin to tighten. In some cases, it just doesn't ever tighten, but apparently in other cases it does, but it takes a while. That's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping that in 2 year's time, everything will have tightened up.

Meanwhile, I'm gradually increasing the exercise to try to help things along.

I have also heard about products ... lotions and things ... but I'm sceptical.

• Ashtoretet
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ashtoretet wrote: »

Sort of.

I've lost 24 kg in 8 months, and with clothes on, I look all right, but I'm a bit wrinkly and saggy underneath.

The first 15 kg went at 1 kg/week ... the remaining 9 kg have gone at about 0.5 kg/week because I deliberately slowed things down. One of the reasons I deliberately slowed things down was because I wanted to start exercising a lot more, including strength training. I've still got about 3 kg to go, and part of me would like to speed things up and finish it in 3 weeks, but really, I'm OK with it taking 6 weeks if it means I can comfortably do more exercise.

So you might consider slowing things a bit. I know you've got at least another 8 lbs to go, but if you aim for, say, 1.5 lb/week instead of 2 lb/week, it's only going to take you a little bit longer.

Another thing I've heard is that it takes about 2 years for the skin to tighten. In some cases, it just doesn't ever tighten, but apparently in other cases it does, but it takes a while. That's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping that in 2 year's time, everything will have tightened up.

Meanwhile, I'm gradually increasing the exercise to try to help things along.

I have also heard about products ... lotions and things ... but I'm sceptical.

I'm pretty skeptical as well. I figure with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up as cheat days I would like to still aim for 2 pounds a week, otherwise I might actually gain weight. I guess really I'm just scared I'll stop losing weight if I go down from my original goal..even though I realize my original goal was unsustainable since it'd put me at 900 calories a day near the end.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is why I'm struggling right now. I have lost 56 pounds, want to lose another 39, and I'm determined to do that, but . . . this is extremely depressing. I have been very upset at what is happening to my body, but kept telling myself that most of it can be covered up, and sort of resigned myself to it. I have lost weight slowly, 4 to 6 pounds a month since starting MFP, and much more slowly for the six or eight months before that, so losing slowly hasn't helped with loose skin.

What I never expected was what has happened to my face. It will be a lot different for you, and a lot of people on MFP, because you are young, so this shouldn't be a problem. But I just turned 60, and, starting at about the 35 pound loss mark, I started noticing my face was, as lots of people say, melting. The worst part is that I have developed horrible "marionette lines" from my lips to my chin, my jowls have become very pronounced, and my neck skin is loose and looks awful - I now know why they call it a turkey neck. I swear none of these things existed when I was over 200 pounds.

I can hide the sagging arms, stomach, breasts, thighs and butt, although in the summer, wearing 3/4 sleeves all the time is awful because I get so hot, but I cannot hide this. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it, and, for me, this has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for continuing this weight loss. I am on a fixed income and single, so there is no way I can ever have any type of plastic surgery to fix it. As I said, I will continue to lose weight, because I need to be healthier, but, in the end, I am going to look really awful, a lot older than I did six months ago, and that is causing me to be pretty depressed.

Also, I have been having knee problems for a few years, and thought carrying 56 pounds less around with me every day would help them, but, for some reason, they are actually getting worse. So, all the proud feelings I have had for the last year or so of "getting healthy" are being replaced with real anger at myself for doing this much damage to my body with food.

Thank you for starting a thread about this. Most threads here are very positive, and when I've considered starting a thread to discuss these negative feelings, I don't do it because I don't want to be a downer. But there is a negative side to great weight loss, so, again, thanks for giving me a venue to talk about it. I can't talk about it in real life with anybody.
  • Ashtoretet
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Yes, this is why I'm struggling right now. I have lost 56 pounds, want to lose another 39, and I'm determined to do that, but . . . this is extremely depressing. I have been very upset at what is happening to my body, but kept telling myself that most of it can be covered up, and sort of resigned myself to it. I have lost weight slowly, 4 to 6 pounds a month since starting MFP, and much more slowly for the six or eight months before that, so losing slowly hasn't helped with loose skin.

What I never expected was what has happened to my face. It will be a lot different for you, and a lot of people on MFP, because you are young, so this shouldn't be a problem. But I just turned 60, and, starting at about the 35 pound loss mark, I started noticing my face was, as lots of people say, melting. The worst part is that I have developed horrible "marionette lines" from my lips to my chin, my jowls have become very pronounced, and my neck skin is loose and looks awful - I now know why they call it a turkey neck. I swear none of these things existed when I was over 200 pounds.

I can hide the sagging arms, stomach, breasts, thighs and butt, although in the summer, wearing 3/4 sleeves all the time is awful because I get so hot, but I cannot hide this. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it, and, for me, this has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for continuing this weight loss. I am on a fixed income and single, so there is no way I can ever have any type of plastic surgery to fix it. As I said, I will continue to lose weight, because I need to be healthier, but, in the end, I am going to look really awful, a lot older than I did six months ago, and that is causing me to be pretty depressed.

Also, I have been having knee problems for a few years, and thought carrying 56 pounds less around with me every day would help them, but, for some reason, they are actually getting worse. So, all the proud feelings I have had for the last year or so of "getting healthy" are being replaced with real anger at myself for doing this much damage to my body with food.

Thank you for starting a thread about this. Most threads here are very positive, and when I've considered starting a thread to discuss these negative feelings, I don't do it because I don't want to be a downer. But there is a negative side to great weight loss, so, again, thanks for giving me a venue to talk about it. I can't talk about it in real life with anybody.

That's really rough, I'm lucky that I'm doing this while I'm still pretty young (late 20s). Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad this thread is a bit cathartic for other people too.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It worries me that your knees are getting worse. Could you being losing muscle mass and so the joints are becoming less supported? I agree with other posters that strength training is a good step, you will feel better about your body when you see what it can do, not just how it looks. Don't give up! You deserve a long a healthy life.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options

It worries me that your knees are getting worse. Could you being losing muscle mass and so the joints are becoming less supported? I agree with other posters that strength training is a good step, you will feel better about your body when you see what it can do, not just how it looks. Don't give up! You deserve a long a healthy life.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Age and prior weight are probably a big factor. She stated she's been having knee problems for a few years, them getting worse could easily be arthritis or not enough fat intake. Resistance/strength training can help stabilize knees, but if it's internal joint issues that won't help.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    1. It takes your brain time to catch up to how you look. You won't like how you look no matter what for a while.
    2. The end results are never how we picture them, so you'll experience a bit of let down.
    3. If you haven't taken the time to learn to love yourself no matter how you look you'll struggle with disappointment for a while.

QFT

Also, it does change over time...even though I lost 135 lb slowly there were phases along the way when I wondered if I truly would need brachioplasty for arm flaps (for example) and over time they did get better AND I see them as being better...I don't believe it's 100% one or the other, it is a mix of actual improvement with time, and learning to re-see your body and evaluate it objectively - which can be difficult at times.