How often should I weigh myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kkniery89
    Kkniery89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use salter scales, Both for weighing food and my weight, Never had an issue with them and they come with a guarantee!, I weigh daily, first thing in the morning and at night because I want to learn my natural flucatuations inside out by the time I hit maintenance.

I will have to google that!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on you. I personally freak out at daily fluctuations... But at the same time I love numbers and graphs so I'm trying to get over my freak out so I can get a cool looking graph of my weight loss and I'm trying to start to weight everyday.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do once a week. Everyday is too stressful for me and I tend to get stressed out over daily fluctuations. I don't need that kind of grief.
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    I do once a week. Everyday is too stressful for me and I tend to get stressed out over daily fluctuations. I don't need that kind of grief.

I'm with you sister

• hilarysusan49
    hilarysusan49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a body fat scale. It gives me not just my weight in pounds, but the percent of my weight that is body fat. So for instance this week I actually gained 3 lbs, but my body fat percent went down .5%, so I know I did lose fat, but gained muscle.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do daily in the morning, before breakfast, but after using the loo (to make it as low as possible :-). I average it over the week, so don't worry about daily fluctuations.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Its up to you. If your not used to fluctuations, once a week is fine.
    Imoho, Daily. Fluctuations don't bother me anymore.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I actually superglued scales to my shoes so that I can always have the most accurate information on my progress.
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in weekly and switched to daily. I found I was getting more stressed by this perception that I was not losing weight from week to week due to the various peaks and valleys, or conversely thinking I was losing a lot more weight than I actually was. Seeing the dips and rises from day to day makes me a lot more keenly aware of the rises and falls and causes for such. Even now I can look at some weeks where - one week ago I weighed in at less body weight - and recognize that everything is still trending downwards even if I had a high calorie/sodium/whatever day that might be causing me to retain water or otherwise weigh in higher than I normally would.

There is also an accountability factor. When I was weighing in weekly I did it on Mondays so that I would try and be extra good over the weekends, but found that I was not sticking to my eating strategy as well earlier on in the week, like just after a weigh-in. Now I still splurge a bit once in awhile, but it happens when it happens and I understand if the scale doesn't go my way for the day or two following.

Everyone is different though. That is my preference. Definitely do what you feel will work best for you!!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in weekly and switched to daily. I found I was getting more stressed by this perception that I was not losing weight from week to week due to the various peaks and valleys, or conversely thinking I was losing a lot more weight than I actually was. Seeing the dips and rises from day to day makes me a lot more keenly aware of the rises and falls and causes for such. Even now I can look at some weeks where - one week ago I weighed in at less body weight - and recognize that everything is still trending downwards even if I had a high calorie/sodium/whatever day that might be causing me to retain water or otherwise weigh in higher than I normally would.

There is also an accountability factor. When I was weighing in weekly I did it on Mondays so that I would try and be extra good over the weekends, but found that I was not sticking to my eating strategy as well earlier on in the week, like just after a weigh-in. Now I still splurge a bit once in awhile, but it happens when it happens and I understand if the scale doesn't go my way for the day or two following.

Everyone is different though. That is my preference. Definitely do what you feel will work best for you!!

Totally agree with this and the accountability factor. I weigh daily, I have a fitbit so I'm able to use trendweight.com and see the downward trend regardless of the highs and lows. To me weighing daily is like a constant reminder of the task at hand.
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

Totally agree with this and the accountability factor. I weigh daily, I have a fitbit so I'm able to use trendweight.com and see the downward trend regardless of the highs and lows. To me weighing daily is like a constant reminder of the task at hand.

I've been doing this ever day weigh in, since I posted this!
    It's not soo bad! & I've finally gotten over my weight loss shlump and losing weight again! Thanks you guys!
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    I actually superglued scales to my shoes so that I can always have the most accurate information on my progress.

Lmao that's funny as hell
  • alongwayoff
    alongwayoff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, after bathroom, before breakfast. I've noticed some interesting trends doing this (or example if I have a couple of beers, I'll be two pounds lighter the next morning. Sadly this does not last). Similarly, an insanity workout will raise my weight a little the day after but a long run won't. Carb overload makes me heavier for the next couple of days. I find it really interesting watching what other stuff does to my body. However, I don't let myself get obsessive about it. Skip a day? Not the end of the world. Doing it every day lets me pinpoint what does what to my body, so that if I get on there and the scale is higher or lower I can usually pinpoint what's caused that. I do know that this sort of thing can be dangerous mental health wise though, so I'm quite careful tracking how I feel towards it. Use it as a motivator, but don't let it rule your life.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I weigh too often and slightly obsess about it...right now I'm on a 1 month no weighing challenge =P

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    I understand that everyone's temperament is different, so "when to weigh" is not the same for everyone. Personally, I'm in the "weigh daily" camp (first thing in the morning, post-bathroom, naked).

In fact, I've weighed myself daily for around a decade, even when not trying to lose weight, and logged the result. At this point, I feel like I have an excellent intuitive understanding of what causes daily fluctuations in me. This knowledge has only been enhanced by combining daily weighing with accurate food & exercise logging.

But . . . though it took a while to understand my fluctuations (up to *5 pounds* in one day, BTW, with 2-3 not at all unusual), I have never been greatly disturbed by them - more like curious. (I'm a generally low-emotion person, as background.) It is/was almost entirely water weight, BTW: I'm not a binge eater. There are various causes (carbs, salt, healing from workout or surgery, more).

Personally, I think it would disturb me more to weigh only weekly, and accidentally have that day be one on which I've gone up 2-3 pounds in water weight, and think it was *real fat gain*, even after a week of eating in deficit.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly and take measurements weekly. I learn more from measurements.
  • SuzLink
    SuzLink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be once a week, on a Monday morning, when I woke up, before breakfast. However, I then progressed to twice a week, Monday & Friday mornings. Now, I have to admit Im an everyday checker. I don't panic or anything if I miss a day or if Im away from home & cannot do it, but I do check everyday. Some may see this progression as a negative thing, yes sometimes I think I might have a slight obsession, but I think its just a desperation to not go backwards & put my loses back on, which I have done at least 5 times previously. I don't panic if it is up, as long as it goes down within about 3 days I know it was just water weight/a heavy meal/lack of exercise, but if it stays for a week I know I need to improve my game & not slip back into old habits.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who mentioned the EatSmart scale. Most accurate one I've ever owned. Personally, I prefer to weigh myself once a week while losing weight. I may switch to daily when I reach goal and am maintaining.
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Kkniery89 wrote: »
    As a rule, I make myself wait 2 days before I weigh myself, as to not get deterred and for motivation.
    It's only when the scale doesn't reflect what I thought, that is can be counter-productive.
    Also, I keep thinking my scale may be off... Any recommendation on a moderately priced scale?

Once a month works for me always makes me feel really good as for scales fairly cheap as long as u use once a month hope this helps just have faith in yourself :smiley: u will lose
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    SuzLink wrote: »
    I used to be once a week, on a Monday morning, when I woke up, before breakfast. However, I then progressed to twice a week, Monday & Friday mornings. Now, I have to admit Im an everyday checker. I don't panic or anything if I miss a day or if Im away from home & cannot do it, but I do check everyday. Some may see this progression as a negative thing, yes sometimes I think I might have a slight obsession, but I think its just a desperation to not go backwards & put my loses back on, which I have done at least 5 times previously. I don't panic if it is up, as long as it goes down within about 3 days I know it was just water weight/a heavy meal/lack of exercise, but if it stays for a week I know I need to improve my game & not slip back into old habits.

I love this! Excellent point