Such confusion about carbs!

Options

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The key is weighing your food, logging accurately, and staying within your calorie goal.

Carbs won't make you fat unless you are eating over your calorie goals.

I personally have to watch my carbs but only because I'm diabetic. I have found that by losing almost 50 lbs I can get a larger percentage of my calories from carbs than I could 50 lbs ago because my weight loss and level of activity are helping my diabetes.

So really, it's about sustaining what you choose to do. I can't do a very low carb diet (well I could, but I would be miserable). I like pizza. I enjoy ice cream. I LOVE potatoes, rice, and pasta. I'm not willing to cut them out, but I am willing to eat less of those foods. So I still have them, but I plan them in my day. Today I know I'm planning on eating a giant sweet potato at dinner and I'm estimating it will be around 45 g of carbohydrate. Because of that I'm cutting down on the carbs at lunch and breakfast. Low carb doesn't have to be super low. You can do something more moderate. I eat around 115 grams of carbohydrate a day (sometimes more, depending on my activity level). On days where I run I eat extra carbs or else I find that I'm just ravenous. Eating an extra 10-20 g of carbs on those days helps my energy level.
  • CHICKIEFOX
    CHICKIEFOX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for weighing in on the carb dilemma. I am seeing that calorie deficit is the way to go for me. When I asked my doctor what is the best way to lose weight, he said "watch the carbs." But after plugging in my info and how much I wanted to lose (14#) I found I could have 1200 calories a day, up to150 gm. in carbs. I usually don't eat junky carbs so this should work. It's not just about losing the weight, it's about keeping it off or maintaining a healthy, happy weight. Also, if I have to log my food, I really pay attention to what I eat. It is great that this plan figures out all the calories, carbs, fat, etc., and keeps a running total.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Asking your doc may have seemed like a good idea - unfortunately most docs are not trained in nutrition/fitness.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie deficit is the way to go! Use a food scale to log accurately.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

• CHICKIEFOX
    Options
    No, docs don't seem to know too much about achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. They focus on giving drugs for what ails you. Calorie deficit for me is best, because I can eat a variety of foods. Low carb won't work for me because I can't stay on it. Kudos to those who can, and congrats to all who have found their personal magic formula!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP, are you certain you can only have 1200 calories with just 14 lbs. to lose? Is your calorie goal set at losing .5 lb per week?
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Asking your doc may have seemed like a good idea - unfortunately most docs are not trained in nutrition/fitness.

So true. My family has had exactly two primary doctors in 20 years. They both were very knowledgable doctors that helped us when we got sick but we would NEVER ask either one of them anything about weight loss, nutrition or fitness, as they were both overweight.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    OP, are you certain you can only have 1200 calories with just 14 lbs. to lose? Is your calorie goal set at losing .5 lb per week?

Was just going to ask this. OP if you only have 14 lbs to lose, 0.5 lbs/week is a reasonable deficit and should provide you a good balance of carbs, fat and protein. If you plan your day out to focus on nutrient dense foods that will fill you up, and you find you have room for "treats" as well, you may find this to be something simple to adhere to for the long term - rather than a short term "diet" that you thought was overcomplicated.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    However you can best eat at a caloric deficit is what will probably work best for you. Being in a deficit is all that matters, absent a medical condition. How you get there is up to you. I eat around 500 grams of carbs a day and that works for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The fullness factor and lack of cravings is what's slowly pulling me over to the low carb side.
    I've only got a few kgs left to lose, and they're refusing to budge! I figure I have nothing to lose by going low carb, other than weight hopefully.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, so I watch my carbs. I eat a moderate amount of carbs, most are in whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. When it comes to carbs I choose those with a significant amount of fiber. That fiber along with adequate protein help me to stay full. With the Keto or really low carb diets, higher fat intake does a number on my digestive system as I do not have a gallbladder.
  • CHICKIEFOX
    Options
    I know 14# doesn't seem like much, but believe me, it is super difficult to lose those final pounds. I would like to lose 2# per week. I know that is ambitious, but when I plugged it in, it calculated that I could have 1200 calories per day/150 gm. carbs. Must be OK if it calculated. I use up around 250 calories on the treadmill, so actually I get around 1450 calories which I believe is sufficient. I need results fast or I don't stay committed. Thanks all for the info.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Was just going to ask this. OP if you only have 14 lbs to lose, 0.5 lbs/week is a reasonable deficit and should provide you a good balance of carbs, fat and protein. If you plan your day out to focus on nutrient dense foods that will fill you up, and you find you have room for "treats" as well, you may find this to be something simple to adhere to for the long term - rather than a short term "diet" that you thought was overcomplicated.

Yeah, I mean I'm on 1200 calories, so often times you'll actually hear me complaining about people freaking out about the 1200 calories thing........but I also started in the middle of the Obese BMI. With only 14 lbs to lose, 1200 is pretty low, and really it's altogether unnecessary unless you have over 35 lbs to lose, and in many people's cases, over 50 (I had over 60 to lose when I started). It's sustainable for me because I have massive reserves of body fat to continue to fuel my organs at a lower calorie intake range, and as soon as that changes just a little more (exactly 3 lbs from now) that will need to be reassessed for my health and safety. At only 14 lbs to lose, you really don't have those stores to keep you feeling great and functioning well... please consider what other posters have said and alter your weekly loss goal. Even at 1 lb per week, you'll be at goal in about 3 months, why press the issue with a -2 setting when you're already so close?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    CHICKIEFOX wrote: »
    I know 14# doesn't seem like much, but believe me, it is super difficult to lose those final pounds. I would like to lose 2# per week. I know that is ambitious, but when I plugged it in, it calculated that I could have 1200 calories per day/150 gm. carbs. Must be OK if it calculated. I use up around 250 calories on the treadmill, so actually I get around 1450 calories which I believe is sufficient. I need results fast or I don't stay committed. Thanks all for the info.

Just be aware that just because you plugged in 2lbs a week doesn't mean that's how much you'll lose. MFP won't go below 1200 calories, so have a look at your settings where it says how much weight you'll be expected to lose at 1200, it "may not" not be 2lbs

• BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is healthy but for loosing weight you need to take less calories. Count your calories intake and burn everyday on gym.
    Do exercise along with healthy diet.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb and lost weight easily.

Eat low carb when you want to eat low carb or need to eat low carb ( medical reasons for example)

Otherwise ...dont restricts foods. Eat it all just eat less than you burn ( create a deficit)
    It really is simple

Have some patience and be consistent and weigh all your food on a food scale log it! Every single bite!

Good luck you can do it too just like many here

95069916.png
  • WalkinChik
    WalkinChik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's all a process, I would go to the library or buy some books on low carb lifestyle. When I was 29 I was diagnosed with diabetes and I also weighed 385lbs. I turned to a low carb lifestyle because I wanted to be off medication. Now 20 yrs later while I am not thin because I let life get in the way, I am diabetes free.. low carb and exercise is the best medicine for good health. The whole grains though would be the first to go if you are serious about reversing the prediabetic state. Veggies and low sugar fruits, strawberries and blueberries.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    WalkinChik wrote: »
    I am diabetes free.. low carb and exercise is the best medicine for good health.

Going low carb was the best medicine FOR YOU. That doesn't apply to everyone.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i think people say low carb because bread, chips, and pastas and such can be high calorie and have low fiber and protien. so then you may get hungry faster. and this can make it more difficult to stay around your calorie goal for the day