bananas

Options
gazrec
gazrec Posts: 38 Member
are bananas good or bad in a low fat diet? what are your views?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    They are low fat and high carbohydrate, so they fit a low fat diet for sure.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    They are healthy and filling, but the fat is relatively high. I you're worried about fat, probably having an orange is better.

Edit: oh whoops, high in carbs I meant
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    some of the carbs in banana are starches, so somewhat less of the calories are from sugars.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They are an interesting fruit - as they ripen they become higher in sugar and lower in starch (starch becomes sugar) due to a chemical they release. This chemical (can't remember the name) also speeds up the ripening of other fruit nearby, so always keep your nanas in the fridge. They are a great source of energy, released quickly (sugars) and more slowly (starch) so eat one about 40 minutes before a workout. They are high in carbs, but if you are avoiding flours you can mash one together with an egg and fry it like a pancake - add cinnamon and some berries - yummy.

I love them.
  • rungrainnerun
    rungrainnerun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Banana's are evil vile pieces of poison and should never be eaten by anyone. Ever. Eugh!!!!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and believe the only diet they probably wouldn't work for would be low carb diets.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Banana's are evil vile pieces of poison and should never be eaten by anyone. Ever. Eugh!!!!!

Why do you think so?
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Am sure you are joking....if you are serious....you are wrong....bananas are best..especially to eat post or per workout...
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am on a low fat diet and eat banana every day. They are a good source of fibre, potassium, carbohydrates and calories.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    A banana save my life 2 weeks ago...... really it did, I'm not joking
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not just good, they are GREAT! Healthy and delicious :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I gather you don't like them, however, they are valuable sources of Potassium - Potassium aids the heartbeat.

Bananas are also extremely quick at releasing energy and are absolutely excellent before going for a run or any cardio, they digest pretty quickly.

They are far from evil lol.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

How so?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    are bananas good or bad in a low fat diet? what are your views?

Bananas are good in any diet! They're filled with goodness and tasty to boot........one of nature's near perfect foods.
  • rungrainnerun
    rungrainnerun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lol, I have a general phobia of Banana's, don't ask me why I don't know, they gross me out I have to leave the room if someone is eating one next to me they make me gag!!
    I've heard about how 'amazing' they are for energy blah blah but I've ALSO heard that they're poisonous if you eat too many.. No thank you!

Banana's , Fish and Slugs, my mortal enemies.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

How so?

Ok so I took some Cayenne pepper capsules.... these are the 100,000 heat scale ones.... not the weaker ones. I took 2. I did it on an empty stomach, something I normally don't do. Anyway then I went out shopping, I walk there. Anyway 1km in I start feeling bad....really bad. Pass out bad.

I had to sit down ever few meters. I was white as a ghost & was feeling like it was a heart attack. I was crying cause I was stuck where I was. Son came to my rescue about 1km later. He got me 2 bananas...... within 5 mins I was back to normal & walking the rest of the way perfectly fine.

IF it was not for the bananas then I have no idea what would have happened.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Lol, I have a general phobia of Banana's, don't ask me why I don't know,

Then this is going to freak you right out:

OCLzJ.gif
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    banana's are amazing!! They are such a good source of potassium which is good for regulating heart rate (but too much can be bad too). The only bad this is that banana's are one of the fruits that are high in sugar so I would suggest getting smaller ones instead of big ones :)

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

has a list of low-high sugar fruits.

hope that helps!!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome! Eat em' raw, with peanut butter, in a salad, in a sandwich, in a smoothie, put them in the freezer (peeled) and make them into a custard like ice cream in the blender!

Banana Nutrition Facts (100 g):

Calories - 89
    Fat - 0.3 grams
    Protein - 1.1 grams
    Fiber – 3 grams
    Omega 3′s – 27.0 mg
    Antioxidants – 0.23 mmol
    Vitamin A – 3%
    Vitamin C – 33%
    Vitamin E – 1%
    Vitamin K – 1%
    Potassium – 10%
    Calcium 1 %
    Iron 1 %
    Thiamin 2 %
    Riboflavin 4 %
    Niacin 3 %
    Vitamin B6 18 %
    Folic Acid 5 %
    Pantothenic Acid 3 %
    Phosphorus 2 %
    Magnesium 7 %
    Zinc 1 %
    Selenium 1 %
    Manganese 13 %
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    They're kinda mean to a carb-controlled diet where you need to pick and choose. So is pasta, but that at least has the tasty rubbish thing going for it. If I gotta pick between some rotini noodles and a banana it's gonna be the noodles because the noodles are filling for longer.

Not filling is kinda mean to any diet, though...