Winter Sucks!

Options
2»

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Winter is awful, I wish I could just hibernate from November until April.

A few of us Midwesterners are planning a blanket fort with coffee and booze. We're taking applicants.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm with you. Winter is awful, I wish I could just hibernate from November until April.

A few of us Midwesterners are planning a blanket fort with coffee and booze. We're taking applicants.

Booze in the coffee, I assume. I'm in. I'll bring my space heater.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Booze in the coffee, I assume. I'm in. I'll bring my space heater.

You're in. :grin:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I love summer and the outside activities...but I find that in Winter it's gym time! joining a gym this time of year shakes up your activity, keeps you moving and can provide some social interaction, even if it is just in Pilates or spin class!

And, it's only 6 weeks until 12/21 when the days start getting longer again!

I do this too. My 4-month membership just kicked in November 1st. I'm in the gym 'til the end of February, and hopefully by March it'll start getting warmer and I can resume some outdoor activities like running or cycling by April or so.

I also ski. I find it helps to enjoy winter if you find a winter sport you enjoy. Personally, being a skier means I can look forward to winter and cheer every time it snows and get outside and enjoy the beautiful winter weather in the great outdoors. If downhill skiing isn't for you, consider skating, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hockey, curling, or even snowmobiling.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me 2. :(
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Light, definitely.
    Be outside as much as you can during the day (take part of your lunch
    break to walk).
    Exercise is good too. Yes, you have to push yourself.

Here's a SAD box that's about $50
    http://www.amazon.com/Zadro-Sunlight-Artificial-Days-Year/dp/B0011UYM0C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446652774&sr=8-2&keywords=led+sad+light

I had a doctor who gave SAD patients a regular grow light bulb.
    Find a bulb that says "full-spectrum" or "grow light", preferably in
    LED to save energy. And if you can find ones that mention blue
    light, that's best.

Here's a 23 watt that's $25.
    That's _really_ bright, like 125 watts. (The description says 350.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Spectrum-Light-Lumen-120LED/dp/B00KAJPWYA/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446652982&sr=1-11&keywords=led+full+spectrum+light

Here's a 20w (100w equiv.) for $9
    http://www.menards.com/main/p-1444431655349.htm?cm_vc=PDPZ1

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote:
    Milwaukee, WI (MKE) here.
    I don't do coffee, but can bring my own blankets & hot chocolate.
    And I like it with amaretto or Frangelico. :grin:
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote:
    Milwaukee, WI (MKE) here.
    I don't do coffee, but can bring my own blankets & hot chocolate.
    And I like it with amaretto or Frangelico. :grin:

I'm in Madison...Sconnie love. You're in.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm thinking of seriously investing in a light box or wake up light.

soon we'll only be having 5-6 hours of "sunlight" (grayness) and i'm feeling it BIG TIME!

I am not going to bed until 4-5AM and sleeping until 1-2 (when brightness is at it's peak). It's awful and ruining SO MUCH.

When i was camping this summer in the southern part of europe (with normal rise and set times) I had NO PROBLEMS waking up at 7-8 in the morning and falling asleep by 10-11 and i felt for the first time in my life "wow, is this what it's like to sleep and wake up normally?".

So if anyone has had success with a light box or wake up light PLEASE SHARE!

I am taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D. :)

I can't speak to whether or not the light would help regulate your sleep pattern, because I've never had that issue, but my personal experience is that my light box is a miracle in terms of reducing the severity of my depression symptoms. I highly recommend them for SAD symptoms. Maybe you could buy one through a company with a good warranty offering, so you could try it out and return it if it doesn't help?