No motivation!

Options
Am I the only one who has trouble wanting to actually work out? Don't get me wrong - I walk around 2 miles daily, but when it comes to actual workout routines I am a huge baby. I think I just don't like the discomfort that comes with doing said workout (meaning the 'burn' of it). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this? I plan out workouts, but for some reason cannot bring myself to follow through with them, and I am hating myself for it. :/

Replies

• Moonstone1612
    Moonstone1612 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, been there, done that!! As have many others.
    Keeping motivation going can be hard but if you can get a friend or two involved, having someone to workout with can really help.
    Also set yourself a monthly challenge, again with someone if possible. I did this with some friends, we all came up with something we wanted to do, it had to be cheap and at a fitness level everyone could do.
    This year we've had a dip in the sea, an open water swim, a climbing wall, 25mile walk - so they were workouts without seeming like it. Plus we knew when we were doing a harder one, it made us work at our fitness beforehand.
    you need to start slowly and build up then you won't cause yourself the discomfort you're worried about, it's not a competition so stuff what other people are doing. In your head you're maybe telling yourself you'll ache later but you can also tell yourself you're going to go at your own pace and level so it's not going to hurt!!
    I've toyed with joining a gym which also does evening classes, if you pay for it your more likely to go
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    +1 on @Moonstone1612 . Find stuff to do that you enjoy -- there's no extra points for suffering.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Find yourself some goals and work towards them. I have some training sessions that there is no way on earth I could put myself through if I didn't keep my eye firmly on my goals. So I write my goals up on the white board so I can see them between sets.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You just have to suck it up and do it. Or find something else to do that doesn't intimidate you so much. The motivation has to come from you or you'll never get anywhere.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You need to find something you enjoy, and then dig deep for the inner motivation to get your butt off the couch. Sometimes just even take it in baby steps. So you're sitting at home, feeling lazy. Just take it one step at a time. Pack your gym clothes. Get in car. Drive to gym. Well, I'm here, I might as well work out. Workout done? Wow, that feels good, I need to remember how good this feels for next time! Just do it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If the 'burn' gets annoying, move on to a different move for a while and then come back to the first one. If it's from general cardio, go at a lower pace or take little breaks so that it's not so uncomfortable.

I have one lifting move (adductor isolation) where have to do my last set separated from the first sets by quite a bit. It really burns too badly for some reason! But I haven't noticed the separated set slowing my progress down, so I figure it's all good. I'm not going to actually really suffer to get that whole set in. Maybe for a rep or two, lol.

What are you used to trying that burns so badly? Those crazy, ramped-up cardios or a million reps of something (I hate the intensity of those myself)? Maybe try a nice beginner's workout and you'll enjoy it much more as it gets you in shape well, and move up when things are comfortable :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I claimed for years I was allergic to exercise.
    What worked for me once I had decided I needed to do something was finding something I liked, and could see myself doing well into the future; aquafit.

Then I actually paid money to join the local rec centre; didn't want to waste well earned money so went to the gym and drop in classes. I had used the equivalent of the years pass in 6 months.

Next I signed up for classes; I try all kinds of things, some I repeat, some I don't. But I enjoy the new experience.
    I also learnt to swim.

As well as all this being good for general health, I love to travel, and have discovered keeping fit, so I can get the most out of a trip, is the thing that keeps me going. I couldn't hike up mountains to swim in waterfalls, rappel down cliffs, ride ponies, camels, and elephants, snorkel with exotic fish, or spend hours climbing around ancient ruins, without a good level of fitness.

Find your inspiration, cheers, h.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Having input is so nice. :) I think my big problems are:

1. I don't really know anyone where I live - especially anyone I would feel comfortable enough working out with. I was doing really well with my fiancée, but she has basically given up entirely, so as a result in back to doing it by myself. I have a beginner's workout routine I try to do three times through, but again - I can't get myself to do it. As stupid as it sounds, I get self conscious even in my own home. :-/
    2. I cannot afford to go to a gym. When I had a membership at our old apartment, we had a routine we would do. But we don't have the money for me to join one, which sucks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has trouble wanting to actually work out? Don't get me wrong - I walk around 2 miles daily, but when it comes to actual workout routines I am a huge baby. I think I just don't like the discomfort that comes with doing said workout (meaning the 'burn' of it). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this? I plan out workouts, but for some reason cannot bring myself to follow through with them, and I am hating myself for it. :/

maybe do something you like doing and broaden your view on what constitutes "working out"

i primarily cycle...i enjoy it...it's a good workout. i do not bounce around my living room to DVDs or drone away on cardio equipment which seems to be what a lot of people think is "working out."

as far as motivation goes, it's an overrated emotion. we all do things every single day for which we aren't necessarily motivated to do, but they need doing, so we do them. i'm rarely motivated to do the dishes or vacuum the house, but these things need doing...i'm not always motivated to drag my *kitten* out of bed and go to work...but i do it anyway.

getting in regular exercise is no different than anything else...it needs doing and you just have to be disciplined and do it...take the emotion and the feelz out of it and just be disciplined. finding something that you more or less enjoy doing is a big help...but even then, you're not going to be all 100% motivated all of the time...discipline.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    You don't need your partner to be involved. A lot if people here, including me do it on our own. I lost my weight and have been maintaining for 6 years, and it was only this fall my partner said he would like to do yoga with me. Before that my fitness was a solitary pursuit.

If you are not ready, your not ready. If you are you will find something, bodyweight exercises that are free, videos to follow, or a cheep gym to join.

If walking is what you want to do that is fine. A lot of people just walk.
    As for the discomfort of exercise, you do get used to it, but I must admit that is why working in water initially appealed to me. I may get out of breath, but I don't get sticky and sweaty. Maybe swimming could be your thing. It is a full body work out as you are working against the resistance of the water.
    YMCA's usually have assistance programmes if you are near one.

Cheers, h.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone! Having input is so nice. :) I think my big problems are:

1. I don't really know anyone where I live - especially anyone I would feel comfortable enough working out with. I was doing really well with my fiancée, but she has basically given up entirely, so as a result in back to doing it by myself. I have a beginner's workout routine I try to do three times through, but again - I can't get myself to do it. As stupid as it sounds, I get self conscious even in my own home. :-/
    2. I cannot afford to go to a gym. When I had a membership at our old apartment, we had a routine we would do. But we don't have the money for me to join one, which sucks.

No, that's not stupid. I'm a self-professed gym junkie and I love working out but I also cannot bring myself to do at-home TV or online video routines. Feels funny to me. (not criticizing anyone else who does them)

Don't worry about not having a gym available. I think at this point you'd be better off shifting your focus OFF of a structured workout routine and find activities that you like: dog walking, pet sitting, baby sitting, tennis, golf, bowling, group indoor activities like wall-climbing, etc. Anything active that gets you moving is all you really need. Start with that. This way you can meet other people, too.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Hiyah you really just have to force yourself to do it until becomes part of your routine. That's exactly what I did. First thing in the morning before I get ready I used to do my workouts. Only just recently joined a gym so moved to lunchtimes.

Why I to this day still do it is because it feels nice to be stronger and feel better.

Try fitness blender.com. its an amazing website considering it's free. Do something for 30 mins few days a week and you will be surprised what you will achieve. Good luck