Deadlift question

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
For reasons I cannot figure out at all, there is something wrong with my deadlift form and it just happened out of the blue. I seem to be unable to keep a straight back the last weeks. I can see the problem, I can feel it, but it seems impossible to correct. Never had this happen before and I am completely confused. I have emptied the bar completely, which changed nothing, because it was not about struggling with the weight, it is as if my back is refusing to remain straight. Which I know sounds ridiculous, but I have no idea how to fix it. Even took a complete break, focused on squats and back extensions, and still nothing is changing. Was even starting to think it is all in my head and asked a guy at the gym to check, and he verified that yes, I seem to be bending after the first rep. Any ideas? Cannot post a video.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Are you able to book in with a personal trainer or a physiotherapist? They may be able to spot the problem, work out why it happens and how to avoid it.
    Unfortunately without a video, it's going to be a bit tricky for most people to help you with your form
  • LKArgh
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I doubt it is a physical problem, it feels more like some weird mental block, like a bad habit that started out of nowhere. I am basically wondering if there are other exercises or variations that could help me. I can see the problem, I would be correcting someone doing what I am doing, yet I seem unable to follow my own advice :(
    No trainer that I actually trust at the gym to help. There were two guys who seemed to know about lifting, one has left, the other is working only morning shifts right now (when I am at work) and the one trainer available for evening sessions, honestly he seems completely clueless about lifting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Hold a broomstick on your back and make sure your back stays aligned with it to "feel" at what point when you bend down that the rounding occurs. You need to try to identify how it starts to try to fix the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hold a broomstick on your back and make sure your back stays aligned with it to "feel" at what point when you bend down that the rounding occurs. You need to try to identify how it starts to try to fix the problem.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This sounds like something I will NOT try in front of an audience, I cannot imagine walking into the gym with a broomstick :) But it sounds like a good idea for practicing at home, thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This sounds like something I will NOT try in front of an audience, I cannot imagine walking into the gym with a broomstick :) But it sounds like a good idea for practicing at home, thanks.
    Actually we have one in my gym to let a member see and feel where they are rounding their back and to see how a flat back feels when executing an exercise. It's actually a good tool that many have used to help fix form issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Probably foot position changed, somehow.....
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    For reasons I cannot figure out at all, there is something wrong with my deadlift form and it just happened out of the blue. I seem to be unable to keep a straight back the last weeks. I can see the problem, I can feel it, but it seems impossible to correct. Never had this happen before and I am completely confused. I have emptied the bar completely, which changed nothing, because it was not about struggling with the weight, it is as if my back is refusing to remain straight. Which I know sounds ridiculous, but I have no idea how to fix it. Even took a complete break, focused on squats and back extensions, and still nothing is changing. Was even starting to think it is all in my head and asked a guy at the gym to check, and he verified that yes, I seem to be bending after the first rep. Any ideas? Cannot post a video.

If it's only after the first rep, you could always just do "quick singles" where you reset in between every rep.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Actually we have one in my gym to let a member see and feel where they are rounding their back and to see how a flat back feels when executing an exercise. It's actually a good tool that many have used to help fix form issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I made our gym get a 1.5" diameter PVC pipe in the back room for warm up and such things as alignment- its a great tool- no one should be embarrassed for every grabbing something like that.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I made our gym get a 1.5" diameter PVC pipe in the back room for warm up and such things as alignment- its a great tool- no one should be embarrassed for every grabbing something like that.

I would not be embarrassed to use anything already at the gym. Wrestling the broom out of the cleaner's hands sounds a bit over the top though ;) Unfortunately I have seen nothing that could be used for this purpose at my gym. But, I will try it at home, it sounds like a very good idea. And at least it will give my kids a good laugh :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    they don't have those small weighted bars for classes to use?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why can't you post a video?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Where is the rounding occurring, lumbar or thoracic spine? What did your total training look like prior to identifying this problem? What kind of mobility work do you do?
  • LKArgh
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Why can't you post a video?

because the camera of my phone has died last week :( I was planning to replace it anyway, but will not happen for a few more weeks
  • LKArgh
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Where is the rounding occurring, lumbar or thoracic spine? What did your total training look like prior to identifying this problem? What kind of mobility work do you do?

The last weeks I had been limiting my lifting to once a week, now I am again at twice per weeks. It was twice per week the months before this. Also swim and do pilates. My lifting routine is basically compound lifts, whole body, with some accessorie exercises when I feel something needs extra work - usually a few sets for biceps or triceps. I start with a simple warm up routine of ligth jog followed by a few core exercises (abs and back). The routine has been mostly unchanged the last months, with small variations. Because of the swimming and pilates, I do not feel I need any extra modibilty work to be honest, cannot see the purpose. Could be wrong though.

Rounsing is lower back, so I think lumbar?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited November 2015
    Options

The last weeks I had been limiting my lifting to once a week, now I am again at twice per weeks. It was twice per week the months before this. Also swim and do pilates. My lifting routine is basically compound lifts, whole body, with some accessorie exercises when I feel something needs extra work - usually a few sets for biceps or triceps. I start with a simple warm up routine of ligth jog followed by a few core exercises (abs and back). The routine has been mostly unchanged the last months, with small variations. Because of the swimming and pilates, I do not feel I need any extra modibilty work to be honest, cannot see the purpose. Could be wrong though.

Yup, lumbar. Are your lower back muscles or hips "tight" at all? What kind of exercises do you use for your upper back? How is your breathing? Do you take a deep breath and expand your abs or contract? Sorry this is turning into 20 questions; it's just hard to understand without seeing what's going on and knowing some things.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If it's not happening on rep 1 but it happens on successive reps, it's possible that you are out of position after the first pull.

One thing I see happen often in the deadlift is for people to squat the weight down rather than pushing the hips back to initiate the descent. When this happens, the knees get in the way of the bar and the bar has to go around the knees. The end result is that the bar ends up moving forward of mid foot, and if you're attempting to pull the bar off the floor when it's forward of mid foot it's possible that this could contribute to low back rounding.

Total shot in the dark there. This is something that obviously is much easier to diagnose via video.

Depending on how much you're pulling it's also possible that the bar is too low to the floor, but this wouldn't explain differences between rep 1 and 2.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    If it's not happening on rep 1 but it happens on successive reps, it's possible that you are out of position after the first pull.

One thing I see happen often in the deadlift is for people to squat the weight down rather than pushing the hips back to initiate the descent. When this happens, the knees get in the way of the bar and the bar has to go around the knees. The end result is that the bar ends up moving forward of mid foot, and if you're attempting to pull the bar off the floor when it's forward of mid foot it's possible that this could contribute to low back rounding.

That's actually a very good possibility right there. Think about your reps and how they go after the first. Are you trying to touch-and-go or are you resetting to get yourself back into a correct position and then pulling?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Some cues I think when DLing are chest up, scapulae together, shins vertical, leg-press floor... I give a little tug at the bar and cue.
  • JoRocka
    Options

almost everyone needs more mobility work... everyone.
  • frontjab
    frontjab Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Total shot in the dark there. This is something that obviously is much easier to diagnose via video.

Depending on how much you're pulling it's also possible that the bar is too low to the floor, but this wouldn't explain differences between rep 1 and 2.

With regard to the first paragraph, if your gym has a hex bar, you might give it a try as it creates more space and the bar doesn't have to go around the knees. Though I guess that wouldn't necessarily solve the issue of squatting instead of pushing the hips back, it does (in my opinion) make it easier to keep the weight centered on your body.

With regard to the third paragraph, many hex bars also have raised handles so you start a couple inches further off the ground, which would help with the bar being too low. This is recommended sometimes especially for taller people.