Moved to UK: losing fitness and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! I always have a big tea mug on my desk and already filled it up 4 times today. I drink green tea mainly. I don't drink because I'm thirsty, it just happens automatically. When I first came here I didn't drink enough. That together with sitting on a cold stone got me a urine tract infection :( But the water is very tasty here, and I love my tea.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I really would recommend getting a bottle and getting some plain water into you as well as the green tea. I definitely find that water makes a real difference to afternoons.

Oh, and your reflux doesn't have to be diagnosed here to count under the DDA if it is long term and debilitating, just needs to be diagnosed as such by a competent professional.
  • yirara
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hmm.. I walked a bit around the grounds of the office. This would be a great place for a run around noontime (really rural!), if I had a place to change, shower and store my sweaty sports clothes. At least I have an own office (well, will have if they hired someone to build me a desk as the handyman got laid off), which is a big improvement over previous work. Thus changing should not be too much of an issue in the future. Sweaty clothes in my office? Hmm... showering is the real issue here. I wonder if I'll get asthma problems if I run at somewhat higher daytime temperatures.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    maybe the shops near you could special order flat bread and other items for you. Stores here in the states will do that.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you're just eating the wrong kind of food. If you don't have a microwave, buy a thermos, heat your food as hot as possible in the morning, seal it, and it should still be hot at lunch time (Especially if it's just a vegetarian curry).

Or try eating more protein and less carbs, bread makes me hungry so I have to eat less during the morning and day, try eggs, canned tuna, beans, lentils, chicken or turkey breast, with rice or something instead of just sandwiches. A lot of them you can eat cold too.

And just try walking, it's better than doing nothing, the weather is only going to get worse. Walk around the office at lunch, or walk before dinner.
  • yirara
    Options
    Well, the curry was from the old work canteen. I'd never try to cook that myself *smirk* as it takes hours to make.

Hmm.. not sure, it's mainly the protein-rich food that gives me problems. And I always had lots of bread. I love bread, while looking at an egg or a chicken breast I think: uh.. is that all? But certain I need to try out a few things.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As a Brit who has lived overseas and had to do the adjusting thing, I think your impression of the UK is pretty off. We have one of the most diverse food cultures in the world here and many supermarkets have whole aisles dedicated to ethnic foods. I feel you need to spend some time looking round the supermarkets properly, not just the regular big brand loaves of bread. You have it stuck in your head you need a specific type of flat bread to satiate you and nothing else will do when in fact there are a world of options, you just have to be a bit more open. I don't see how a flat bread made from white flour is any more satiating than regular old bread? Goats cheese is also readily available.

And online supermarket shopping can widen your choices further, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda all do home delivery.

I honestly think this is more of a psychological issue disguising itself as increased appetite than one of actual hunger.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Oh and a veg curry does not take hours.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    As a Brit who has lived overseas and had to do the adjusting thing, I think your impression of the UK is pretty off. We have one of the most diverse food cultures in the world here and many supermarkets have whole aisles dedicated to ethnic foods. I feel you need to spend some time looking round the supermarkets properly, not just the regular big brand loaves of bread. You have it stuck in your head you need a specific type of flat bread to satiate you and nothing else will do when in fact there are a world of options, you just have to be a bit more open. I don't see how a flat bread made from white flour is any more satiating than regular old bread? Goats cheese is also readily available.

And online supermarket shopping can widen your choices further, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda all do home delivery.

I honestly think this is more of a psychological issue disguising itself as increased appetite than one of actual hunger.

+1. I get that you're in a rural area but online shouldn't be a problem.

Also - could you work out in the morning? I notice from your "before" and "after" timetables that you still wake up early but now don't start work till much later in the morning.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I know that my mood is impacted by my activity level, and if I am bored at work then I tend to be hungry all the time. Get up and move around during the day if you can. Set yourself goals at work so that when you are at your desk you are busy and engaged. Maybe try switching up foods too instead of bread try rice or other grains you might find more filling.
  • yirara
    Options
    yes, I'm looking for solution. And no, I cannot work out in the morning, tried it before. I only manage to eat something after 1-2 big mugs of tea. Before breakfast I don't have the energy to work out, and on a full stomach I cannot do sports either. Thus basically I'd need to get up at around 4:30, which really is too early even for me. :)

And I know a veggy curry doesn't take hours to make. But if you don't eat ready-made products then cooking just takes a wee bit longer. Bread and what I put on it is about the only exception (and here I prefer products with few ingredients, freshly made and not an endless list of E-numbers), otherwise I cook everything myself.

Sorry, I'm jumping out of this thread for now. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    Don't quit the thread, buy yourself one of these!!
    tefal.co.uk/Cooking-appliances/Rice-%26-Multi-cookers/8-in-1-Multi-Cooker/p/7211000750

My favourite gadget for surviving a dark, dank UK winter. Load it up with veg, curry paste, spices, tomato, etc in the morning, come home to a lovely cooked, wholesome, satisfying veggie curry in the evening - with leftovers for lunch :)
  • yirara
    Options
    Not quitting, just taking a break.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    You can also get Thermos tubs for taking hot food to work. And I forgot to mention M&S food hall do some lovely bits and pieces. Not everything you buy prepackaged here is full of additives, in fact a lot doesn't have any preservatives added as the UK general public is becoming more savvy, check the ingredients.

Also, don't get angry because people who live in the UK and eat a diverse diet are making helpful suggestions to try and make your move easier. It compounds my thoughts that this isn't really about the availability of foods you like and more about an overall unjustified negativity you feel about the UK in general. We're nice people and a very high number of us are total foodies!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Saw this same thread under Food and Nutrition and posted a reply there.
  • yirara
    Options
    You can also get Thermos tubs for taking hot food to work. And I forgot to mention M&S food hall do some lovely bits and pieces. Not everything you buy prepackaged here is full of additives, in fact a lot doesn't have any preservatives added as the UK general public is becoming more savvy, check the ingredients.

Also, don't get angry because people who live in the UK and eat a diverse diet are making helpful suggestions to try and make your move easier. It compounds my thoughts that this isn't really about the availability of foods you like and more about an overall unjustified negativity you feel about the UK in general. We're nice people and a very high number of us are total foodies!

Don't get me wrong (argh, I wanted to take a night's break from this thread as something was pulling me down big time today), I always wanted to live in the UK: lots of history, marvelous landscapes, cute villages* and still great flight connections to the rest of Europe in most cases. So no, I don't know what's wrong. Probably that things didn't work out as I hoped and that I had to give up my 4500 sqft villa for a 550sqft flat and thus don't have a home gym anymore (I'm seriously restless and miss my bodyweight routines), the weather, the lack of sunlight and warmth, my bike breaking down for the third time since being here this morning and the washing machine flooding the kitchen, running resulted in asthma attacks, me waking up too early and being constantly hungry at day time, etc...

I'll try taking bread with ham to work tomorrow. It's got less calories than my beloved Dutch cheese and maybe it's more filling. Lets see.

*I live in a town centre full of lovely Victorian buildings. Quite pretty! And luckily I live in one of the few 1920s building that's not listed and has double glazing, but still nice period features. :wink:
  • yirara
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Saw this same thread under Food and Nutrition and posted a reply there.

Oh no! Where? For some reason it doesn't appear under 'my discussions' and thus I thought I did not submit it after all.

edit: found it. Oopsie. Thanks for replying.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a lot more protein, and to start doing your own cooking.

It should be much easier to stay fit in the UK--fewer tempting food options and many more opportunities for outdoor activities.

You need to change your mindset.
  • tiny_clanger
    Options
    It's Wednesday today. Set a goal to walk/run parkrun this Saturday. There's bound to be one near you (pm me your town if you want) and its a fab way to meet people who can point out the best places to exercise.

Britain is a lovely friendly place, but it can be quite reserved, and people will keep their distance, just because we assume people will make contact with us if they want friends.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    fewer tempting food options

Yer 'avin a laugh, incha? Surrounded by tempting food options everywhere you go here ... sadly a lot more American junk on the shelves and streets - sick of the sight of them ruining and 'same-ifying' our lovely once-unique and individual towns and cities - there's a flippin' Starbucks on every corner and they're making a fortune while using every loophole available to pay the least tax (but that's our stupid government's fault for not closing the loopholes; well I didn't vote for 'em anyway). And don't get me started on McD and KFC. The supermarkets are now full of Hersheys, Twinkies and Oreos when there's masses of chocolate, cakes and biscuits to choose from already. And our once-beloved Cadbury's brand is a mere shadow of its former self, has been Wonka'd ... chocolate full of sweets now (sorry, candies). Brits are getting fatter and unhealthier by the minute and this new influx of fatty sugary food isn't helping.