Taking a Gamble - Opinions Please

Options
I'm a 35yr old female, 174lb and 5ft 7 tall. Been on a low cal diet for years (on and off - mainly on), but am now coming to the conclusion that my metabolism may be very low & so any weight loss at all has been a real struggle for many months now.

I recently tried 5:2, but my feats days were still low (1200 cals) - I'm planning to increase my cals this week a) to increase the differential between fast & feast days, and b) to try to 'repair' my metabolism a little (if that is the cause of my complete stand still). I'm now planning to net 1500 cals on feast days (eating about 1800 & exercising about 300 per day). I'm also getting back in to a cardio & free weights routine, which I plan to do 3-4 times per week. I always weigh and log everything I eat and drink very carefully - I eat very little processed foods & try to have a half decent balance to my diet.

I'm worried I might gain weight initially (because of increasing cals) - does anyone have any experience or advice on this. Generally I don't mind an initial gain, if it improves my ability to eat more & still loose weight going forward. But, I'm heading on holidays soon & really don't want to gain/bloat too much just now.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why people do 5:2, but then dont follow it? the feast days are supposed to be maintenance days... net 1500 is NOT maintenance!
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A while ago I was eating at 1,200 (mostly below) and exercising and did not really lose for weeks. Then I talked to my doctor and nutritionist and did some reading and decided to up my calories to 1,500-1,600 net calories a day. I was so worried I would gain weight, but I did not. So I wouldn't be too worried. It is more important, though, to get your metabolism back to normal. If you've been on low cal for a long time and didn't lose, that means your metabolism is severely damaged. Try to see a doctor and nutritionist if possible. If not, try to eat many smaller meals, every 3 hours or so, to kick-start your metabolism again.

However, I am NOT a doctor or nutritionist or trainer or anything like that. I'm struggling myself. But that's just my two cents...
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Don't increase your calories by a big number as you will likely put on quite a bit of fat. Rather, take a slow approach called reverse dieting. This is a term used, primarily by physique athletes, to refer to a phase after their photoshoot or competition where they use 100ish calorie increments in their weekly calorie goals. It's also very useful for extended period of calorie deficits.

For example, if your goal is 1300 calories then increase it to 1400 calories for the week
    Next week 1500 calories
    Keep going until you reach whatever is right for you
    Assess your progress and if you are happy with 1600 then stick to it. I know it sounds weird, "don't eat less than xzy" but this is just the way our bodies work. The important part is being consistent.

This method of reverse dieting will minimise fat gain.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 5:2 diet at all. Just eat a regular amount of food each day and stick with it, results take time. There is no magic formula or magic diet, or secret fat burning foods that have amazing properties. The real secret is being consistent and creating a healthy relationship with food and then maintaining it.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi

In my (albeit very limited) experience you are not eating enough - if you want to built your metabolism back up then you need to fuel your body. 5:2 is designed to be used in conjuntion with normal eating for the rest of the week whereas it sounds like what you are doing is alternativing very low calorie diet days (500 kcal) with diet days (1200 / 1500 kcals).

My recommendation would be to eat at maintenance for your feast days (2000 for most women but I am sure MFP will give you a number on here if you set your profile to maintenance) and then use your fast days as your deficit. As long as what you are fueling your body with healthy and nutritional foods - regardless of feast or fast day - and also enjoying some exercise then you will see the results.

Good luck!!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I understand your comment. I guess right now I'm stuck as to what to do for the best. Maybe I should forget 5:2 altogether. I'm just a bit wary of suddenly greatly increasing my calories when I have been on 1200 cals for months now. I don't know whether I'm best to do 5:2 (but as you say, eat normally on feast days), or forget 5:2 completely & just try to get the right balance on MFP with exercise built in.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why people do 5:2, but then dont follow it? the feast days are supposed to be maintenance days... net 1500 is NOT maintenance!

This.

My feast days are 2050 calories and I eat every dang one.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

This.

IKR? I thought the whole point was getting to eat all the food five days a week. ...It just seems sad to eat so low 2 days and then keep eating low the other 5.

Well, not the *whole* point. But some of the point.
  • slk_5555
    Options
    Thank you for your opinions and comments - much appreciated.

I think I am going to simply things for now & take 5:2 out of the equation - although I have to say my mum has been doing the 5:2 and has experienced amazing health benefits as a result.

I'll start increase my cals slowly as suggested and hopefully getting back in the gym to tone up should help things along too.

I also read that your metabolism tends to work best if you eat regularly, and I realized that I go without food for 6 hours between lunch & evening meal - I wondered if snacking on something like almonds would be a good idea. I'm not looking for a quick fix, but I think anything I can do to improve my metabolism might help. Presumably training with free weights & trying to build a bit more muscle will improve things too.
  • slk_5555
    Options
    Like I said, I think I was stuck between the doing 5:2 or just tracking & getting a good balance of diet & exercise - which effectively means for the last 4 weeks, I've not been doing either right. Hence my initial post - I realise I need to do one or the other.

This.

IKR? I thought the whole point was getting to eat all the food five days a week. ...It just seems sad to eat so low 2 days and then keep eating low the other 5.

Well, not the *whole* point. But some of the point.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My advice is that whatever you try, stick with it for at least a month. Don't get on the scale. You will see an increase in scale weight while increasing calories, and I think way too many people see a couple of pounds of water weight, freak out because they think they are gaining, and go right back to the LCD. Give it time and increase your calories gradually.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I think I am going to simply things for now & take 5:2 out of the equation - although I have to say my mum has been doing the 5:2 and has experienced amazing health benefits as a result.

I'll start increase my cals slowly as suggested and hopefully getting back in the gym to tone up should help things along too.

I also read that your metabolism tends to work best if you eat regularly, and I realized that I go without food for 6 hours between lunch & evening meal - I wondered if snacking on something like almonds would be a good idea. I'm not looking for a quick fix, but I think anything I can do to improve my metabolism might help. Presumably training with free weights & trying to build a bit more muscle will improve things too.
    do you KNOW that you have a problem with your metabolism or do you THINK you do? there is a difference. If you are truly doing everything right, and still not losing (in weight and/or inches) then why not start with your doctor? ask them to do some blood tests, maybe there is some underlying problem (e.g., hormonal imbalance, thyroid, etc). At the same time, maybe you need to go over what you are doing - maybe add some more exercise/up the intensity/add weights. Take a look at *what* you are eating and play around with the food groups (more protein/less carbs, less protein/more fat, etc).

and yes, if you are going for ~six hours with no food, that probably doesn't make your metabolistic system very happy:noway:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm also 35 and 5'6. I used to think I needed to live off 1200 calories a day and then I ate normally in pregnancy and piled on weight! Of course, that could be just how my body reacts to pregnancy.

Anyway, after my 2nd child I weighed 220 and I went back to the 1200 calories a day thing, and lots of exercise. After a year I joined MFP and gradually increased my calories and now average about 1500 a day. I weighed 157 a few weeks ago, but think I've lost weight as my clothes fit better. I can wear a UK12 (US 8).

Somehow I have managed to increase my metabolism. I guess it's a result of all the exercise- I do cardio and strength training.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    and yes, if you are going for ~six hours with no food, that probably doesn't make your metabolistic system very happy:noway:

lolwut?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you listen to my entire family (who are 3000 miles away) the 5:2 diet is something awesome!

So I broke it down, my father LOVES to drive, apart from shopping, the most exercise they got was from the house to the car, but now, as fate has it, he can no longer drive, so they walk, or take the bus, town is a mile away, so on town days, thats 2 miles + in a day...
    One brother, went from behind a wheel, or a desk, to cross country biking (pedal variety)

Add other brothers and better halves, all the same kinda thing.

Is it the 5:2 that they swear by? or is it all the exercise they are now doing thats making them drop weight?
    I know where I'd put my money.

I joined MFP, I eat as I'm supposed to, work out, and it's dropping, slowly, but faster than them on the 5:2, we don't discuss it because they just "dont want to hear it"
  • slk_5555
    Options

do you KNOW that you have a problem with your metabolism or do you THINK you do? there is a difference. If you are truly doing everything right, and still not losing (in weight and/or inches) then why not start with your doctor? ask them to do some blood tests, maybe there is some underlying problem (e.g., hormonal imbalance, thyroid, etc). At the same time, maybe you need to go over what you are doing - maybe add some more exercise/up the intensity/add weights. Take a look at *what* you are eating and play around with the food groups (more protein/less carbs, less protein/more fat, etc).

I have considered that a trip to he doctor might be a good idea - just not got around to it yet. I have always weighed & tracked very carefully, I hope by increasing my exercise it may improve things - Generally no matter what I have tried in the past I have always found weight loss very slow and inconsistent. Sometimes its hard to stick with it when you constantly have 2-3 weeks of no weight loss - despite sticking to a plan.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well crap. I'm in trouble. I don't eat from 11pm to 11am most days (Sometimes 10-11pm to noon, my goodness).
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Well crap. I'm in trouble. I don't eat from 11pm to 11am most days (Sometimes 10-11pm to noon, my goodness).

Every night when I sleep my body goes into starvation mode. Should I set an alarm so I can have a meal after 4 hours? What meal should I eat? Which day would I log this as? The night before or the next day? What should the macros be for this meal? Oh no I am sooooooo confused!!!!! :frown:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    If you listen to my entire family (who are 3000 miles away) the 5:2 diet is something awesome!

So I broke it down, my father LOVES to drive, apart from shopping, the most exercise they got was from the house to the car, but now, as fate has it, he can no longer drive, so they walk, or take the bus, town is a mile away, so on town days, thats 2 miles + in a day...
    One brother, went from behind a wheel, or a desk, to cross country biking (pedal variety)

Add other brothers and better halves, all the same kinda thing.

Is it the 5:2 that they swear by? or is it all the exercise they are now doing thats making them drop weight?
    I know where I'd put my money.

I joined MFP, I eat as I'm supposed to, work out, and it's dropping, slowly, but faster than them on the 5:2, we don't discuss it because they just "dont want to hear it"

You have no idea what they're eating or how honest they are with the calories they're eating to make any real assumptions.
  • slk_5555
    Options

Every night when I sleep my body goes into starvation mode. Should I set an alarm so I can have a meal after 4 hours? What meal should I eat? Which day would I log this as? The night before or the next day? What should the macros be for this meal? Oh no I am sooooooo confused!!!!! :frown:

Sarcasm overload!!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

so say if someone recalculated the week with a distributed deficit, that person would see no benefit?

2500 TDEE - 3500 deficit for 1lb loss

2000x7=14000

14000-1000= 13000 (minus fast days)

13000 / 7 = 1850 per day

so:
    5 = 1850
    2 = 500

your saying that wont work? cause.... it looks like it would.