Different body types and carrying your weight well?

Options
13»

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am tall and no one ever believes how much I weigh. My weight isn't as important to me as my overall fitness is. I weigh myself to keep track of my weight fluctuations but I use measurements to monitor my success or failure. After all, no one knows what you weigh unless you tell them. In my profile picture, I weigh 195 pounds. I also reset my starting weight when I reach a certain fitness goal so it isn't a reflection of the actual amount of weight I have lost over time. My suggestion is that you take some accurate measurements - you can track them in the same place you track your weight - and begin watching that. Eat right, log accurately and take your measurements...see what happens.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7-5'8 and currently 214 wearing a size 14. When I was 285 I wore a size 20. Sadly my boobs are not the reason as I started at a 44DD and am now down to a 38d.
  • SuzLink
    SuzLink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying! I am 5'7 & I was 210lbs (a UK 14/16 depending on the style) but people never believe me when I say that, so they must think I carried it well as well. I think its because my body was in proportion, albeit a large proportion. There was no one area which carried more weight than another, it was all fairly evenly spread out. In saying that, I carry it so much better now I am 59lbs less, but these same people sometimes suggest that I am now too slim (UK 12 mostly), although my BMI is still 23.6, so the higher end of 'normal'. But I think I look better, & I'm stronger & fitter than ever before which is the most important thing :) I can understand the struggle with joints as I have a dis-placed knee-cap which moves when exercising, especially with squats & lunges, & gets painful during long periods of walking/running (it feels like something is snapping within the knee-cap, but apparently it is okay....) but after physio, I have been shown how to strap it back where it should be & apparently over time the muscles should hold it where it should be...... So maybe you have an old injury you weren't previously aware of.....?
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and at 270lbs I am in a size 18 pants, but my top is a tight L or loose XL. When I was around 200 I was a size 12. Body composition plays a big part in how clothes fit. Also, the sizes in the US are ridiculously varied anyway. I would not use clothing size as a gauge.

I agree with the posters that have said it is all about diet.
  • mercy7889
    mercy7889 Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi. I am 5'0" currently 107lbs. I have a broad back, broad shoulders, relatively toned arms, small breasts (B), some tummy flab, tight butt & thin legs. My hardest part to lose weight is my abdominal region-it's the last place to go while I am trying to lose weight. I currently fast walk on my tread mill. I also put the treadmill on different settings & inclines. I run fast on the straight always. I use the elliptical. I stretch a lot. I am a proud cardio enthusiast. I used to lift hardcore weights in the past, but I stopped because despite contrary belief "women don't bulk," I sure did. Everything felt tight. I build lots of muscle, but I didn't feel elegant or graceful. With this body type I truly believe slim is the way to go. If we are going to lift weights, do light reps & focus more on your bottom half. I'm going for a sleek trim look considering I am a shrimp. I'm finally learning to love, respect & accept my body. The Power of the V❤️
    janiep81 wrote: »
    rguzame wrote: »
    So I am wondering if there are other people out there like me that have trouble losing weight and carry their weight "well". People are always shocked when I tell my weight. I am 5'7, 28 years old and 218 lbs but I wear a size 12 pants. Is anyone else out there close to this and have you had success with weight loss? Years ago I ran for 4 months for an hour a day and tracked everything but ended up gaining weight! So I started doing yoga and lost a lot of weight not even watching what I was eating. I ended up being 160lbs and a size 6. Now years and 2 children later I find myself struggling again. I want to walk/run and lift weights but I can't lose weight like this! And yoga is getting harder to do it hurts my joints. Anyone with similar problems?

I'm not far off from that. I am a little under 5'8" and wore mostly 14s at 215... could probably squeeze into some 12s still... (needed 16s sometimes but didn't buy them lol). I'm currently comfortably in a 10 (couple of 8s... same story) at 177-ish.

How is your body proportioned? I am an inverted triangle (but not an apple). I have wider shoulders, a slightly defined waist, broad chest but small boobs, hips smaller than shoulders but still fleshy thighs and upper arms. I tend to build muscle relatively easily and even overweight and unhealthy had a better body fat percentage measurement than other women my weight.

I also have a long torso and shortish legs, which seems relevant because logic tells me a torso weighs more than legs... so that would account for "carrying weight well," maybe?

I run, walk, lift weights, and do yoga. Sometimes I do exercise videos or HIIT at home but I like to keep it simple. Running is the thing I really enjoy.

...and I couldn't agree more about diet. This is the first time it's really clicked with me that it's all about diet, but it really has. Now I have the freedom to choose what kind of exercise (and whether or not to exercise) because I am consistently eating around 1600 calories. I eat more if I work out, but I don't HAVE TO work out to eat more, if that makes sense.

Good luck!

• MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am able to wear a 12/14.. We are approx the same stats but im a shorty lol. I carry it all in my chest also. Blessing and a curse!!! I want to get in shape to define more of the hourglass figure I hope haha