Portion Distortion

Options
mattyc772014
mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I personally read up on portion distortion this morning and thought it would be a good topic to discuss. I will be eating a cheeseburger tonight and found it interesting that 20 years ago your average cheeseburger was 333 calories and today it is more like 600 calories. Such a big difference. In the past, I would be able to knock off a meal at any restaurant, but now a days I eat maybe half. I think if you keep in mind when eating out that you are being served 2-3 servings that you would be more aware to keep within your calories for the day. Very simple approach, but one that works for me. 20 years of increase portion sizes can really do a number on what you perceive as a meal.

I found these 2 quizzes to be helpful:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/portion/documents/PD1.pdf

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/portion/documents/PD2.pdf

Replies

• mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Based on restaurants that provide nutritional information that I've eaten in over the last couple of years, I'd say that most burgers are in the region of 800-900 calories.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    a Double Double from In-N-Out is 670 well worth it calories. Most burgers at Red Robin are over 1000 calories, are much bigger and dont taste as good. People just want larger quantities rather than better quality/flavor...
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    a Double Double from In-N-Out is 670 well worth it calories. Most burgers at Red Robin are over 1000 calories, are much bigger and dont taste as good. People just want larger quantities rather than better quality/flavor...

In N Out is so overrated. I'll take Red Robin instead. To each his own.

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    An interesting topic, I've come to the conclusion that it's increased portion size that is the major factor behind rising obesity. I know Atkins/Paleo advocates are convinced 'low fat' foods are to blame - but in my observation, how many fat people actually eat low-fat alternatives?

When I was a child in the 80s it was normal for everyone in the family to have a dessert in a restaurant, but nowadays most people are too stuffed after the massive main course. And don't get me started on the size of muffins and cake slices you get in cafes these days.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    An interesting topic and points OP. It seems more and more that portions are over the top when you dine out. I can eat big for my size (usually in the range of 1200-1500 calories for my usual dinner) and there are places where I have to gorge myself if I want to finish it rather than take it home.

And I do agree with the comment that quality has dropped with a lot of things eating out as well. A big burger itself isn't terrible unless it's a big fatty burger.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: if you get a take-home box, you get two meals for your money instead of one. No one ever said that you had to stuff yourself silly for one meal. You can spread it out over two. Or you could split it with a friend and pay 1/2 the price you would have if you ate the whole meal yourself.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Happy to see every ones comments. Agree with the 80's portion comments. I do remember the same for me as a child. I did enjoy my burger the other night and actually added more to the 1 serving MFP had for it. Went with 1 and 1/4. Not worried though. It was totally worth it. If ever in NYC, you have to try. One of the best quality burgers.

Dessert was asked by the server after our meal and we just looked at each like no way. lol And our friends had just finished the NYC marathon. lol

http://5napkinburger.com/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It depends on the restaurant. Generally speaking, the less expensive places (barring fast food) serve the largest portions per $ - they're catering to the desire for quantity and 'acceptable' quality. More expensive places usually serve smaller portions - catering to the desire for high quality (up to a point - tasting menus can be obnoxiously expensive and the number of courses ridiculous even with 2-bite plates). The money is spent on the expertise of the staff and the quality of the ingredients.

I almost always share a meal or take portions home if I go to a less expensive place.