Losing weight without spouses help?

Options
I'm doing this by myself so sometimes it can get hard. It's hard not to eat some of the things sitting around. Anyone else going through this? Any tips? I've done alright, but every once in a while I lose my will power. Thanks!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @toddhogsed my wife in part and especially the 18 year of son and daughter live on processed carbs so our house is full of them. Sometimes I have to move them to get to my food.

Due to health needs I gave up sugars and grains at the same time to try and skip getting cancer, etc from the Enbrel the doctors wanted to me to start for pain manage. Thankfully in 30 days of no sugars and grains my pain was managed by diet. When I would see carbs I would view a mental picture of myself in a coffin due to cancer that I created by my old way of eating. The subconscious will believe and act on anything you tell it. In my case it sure did not want to die. :)

That was over a year ago but after the first month my cravings for non protein/fat food items just faded away. I still can remember them but not uncontrollable desire to put them in my mouth. Even celery and unsweetened coconut flakes taste like they were dipped in sugar and even more after eating a few apricot seeds each day.

You will find a way. I did try to taper off for two months and failed. That was why I went off them cold turkey because it was just 30 days left before I was to start on Enbrel. Yes it was a close call in my case. My desire to live being greater than to die was important in my case at my age. 40 years of yo yo dieting had about did me in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it can be really hard when there is tempting food all around. Could you ask them to keep the food you want to avoid in a separate cabinet? Sure, you'll know it's there but you won't see it every time you reach for something you do want.

Or, if you are really struggling, you could ask them to hide it. Some people think that's weird or shows weakness but I've asked my husband to hide things if I'm having trouble resisting them. I don't care if someone else thinks I should have more willpower. I know me better than they do.
  • toddhogsed
    toddhogsed Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @toddhogsed my wife in part and especially the 18 year of son and daughter live on processed carbs so our house is full of them. Sometimes I have to move them to get to my food.

Due to health needs I gave up sugars and grains at the same time to try and skip getting cancer, etc from the Enbrel the doctors wanted to me to start for pain manage. Thankfully in 30 days of no sugars and grains my pain was managed by diet. When I would see carbs I would view a mental picture of myself in a coffin due to cancer that I created by my old way of eating. The subconscious will believe and act on anything you tell it. In my case it sure did not want to die. :)

That was over a year ago but after the first month my cravings for non protein/fat food items just faded away. I still can remember them but not uncontrollable desire to put them in my mouth. Even celery and unsweetened coconut flakes taste like they were dipped in sugar and even more after eating a few apricot seeds each day.

You will find a way. I did try to taper off for two months and failed. That was why I went off them cold turkey because it was just 30 days left before I was to start on Enbrel. Yes it was a close call in my case. My desire to live being greater than to die was important in my case at my age. 40 years of yo yo dieting had about did me in.

Wow! Great advice! So glad you're doing better and feeling better. Thank you very much for that!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It will get easier....you have to exercise the same willpower you do at a restaurant, the grocery store, a friend's house. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to have it. Also....having it occasionally won't hurt you, fit it into your day. Also....don't go roaming into the kitchen because you're bored, do something else. Go in there looking for food at meal times when you're hungry. I make snacks for myself for the week because I'm busy and if it's not grab and go I'm not interested, sometimes it's the convenience of the junk food that is appealing.
  • toddhogsed
    Options
    Yeah, it can be really hard when there is tempting food all around. Could you ask them to keep the food you want to avoid in a separate cabinet? Sure, you'll know it's there but you won't see it every time you reach for something you do want.

Or, if you are really struggling, you could ask them to hide it. Some people think that's weird or shows weakness but I've asked my husband to hide things if I'm having trouble resisting them. I don't care if someone else thinks I should have more willpower. I know me better than they do.

Great idea! It is very hard. It use to be the other way around. She use to eat healthy and I didn't care. Maybe it's payback. Haha! I'll try that out. Thanks for the advice!
  • toddhogsed
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    It will get easier....you have to exercise the same willpower you do at a restaurant, the grocery store, a friend's house. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to have it. Also....having it occasionally won't hurt you, fit it into your day. Also....don't go roaming into the kitchen because you're bored, do something else. Go in there looking for food at meal times when you're hungry. I make snacks for myself for the week because I'm busy and if it's not grab and go I'm not interested, sometimes it's the convenience of the junk food that is appealing.

Very true... Thank you!