Pedometer for kids

Options
I don't know if this is exactly a relevant forum question, but there are lots of fitness- and family-minded folks in here so I figured it was worth a shot.

My husband and I have Fitbits, and my 6 year old son has many times seen/heard us talk about how many steps we've gotten that day, etc. Several times recently he's asked if he can have his own Fitbit. Obviously I would never drop the cash for an actual Fitbit for a small child, but I was thinking I'd go ahead and pick him up an inexpensive pedometer if he just wants to have something that makes him like mommy and daddy, you know?

Has anyone ever seen or bought a pedometer that would work well for a 6 year old? Nothing fancy, just something that will hold up to the rough and tumble of a little boy at least until he decides he's not interested anymore :lol:, and can be attached to him pretty securely. I found lots of options on Amazon, including several that seemed like they were designed for children, but nothing that jumped out at me as an obvious choice.

(For the record, I'm not trying to monitor my son's activity. He's right where he should be from a diet, activity, and growth perspective and to actually check his steps myself isn't even on my radar outside of a minor curiosity factor since he never seems to sit down :smile:. This is basically intended to be a toy.)

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I think they still sell the Fitbit Zip, which should be pretty inexpensive.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I think they still sell the Fitbit Zip, which should be pretty inexpensive.

It's still like $60, though. That's a little more than I wanted to spend, I think. It would be a good choice if I spotted a great deal on it, though.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    There are brand new ones on ebay for 30-35
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    Good call, I didn't think about ebay. Thanks!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If he already has a Nintendo DS there is pedometer that you can get him.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Trainer-Walking-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001NXCIUS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1446843501&sr=8-10&keywords=nintendo+ds+pedometer

I'm thinking of getting it for my son.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You could try googling free pedometers. Some companies give them away...I remember one being offered on a cereal box. Australia though but something similar may be where you are. I'd love to know the activity my 3 yo generates. I reckon I could power my house with it lol.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Good call, I didn't think about ebay. Thanks!

Omron pedometers are pretty good. You used to be able to get a basic one for $20 at Wal-Mart (model HJ-112N). This was nice because it had 2 clips (shoe or pocket). It also measured aerobics steps.

They still sell basic ones (try E-Bay).....but newer Omron's are trying to compete with FitBits....and are much pricier.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    They have a Leap Frog activity tracker specially designed for kids on sale at toys r us for around $20. I looked into getting one for my 6 year old one when he stared calling his watch his Fitbit.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    They have a Leap Frog activity tracker specially designed for kids on sale at toys r us for around $20. I looked into getting one for my 6 year old one when he stared calling his watch his Fitbit.

We bought 2 of those for our kids, they really like them ages 6 and 3.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd make them save for whichever one you were going to get them. It's a perfect way to teach them the value of the money behind it, the work that goes into getting it, and reasons why they should take care of it.

Just my two cents.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My first thought was the LeapFrog Activity band, but looking at it it's not a pedometer. It's more of a "get up and do this challenge" kind of thing.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My elementary aged daughter is asking for a fitbit for Christmas. We don't have one , but many of the teachers at her school do.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Ozeri 4x3 Runner is on sale at Walmart. I wanted a step counter, and it also has a stopwatch function and running functions, so I'm going to time my sprints :) It was $15, but I haven't gotten it delivered yet, so I don't know how tough it is. It is supposed to be water resistant.

It doesn't look like a Fitbit, but it has 'steps to goal' and the stopwatch that I could see a kid having fun with. The same things I want to use :grin::grin: Have him time how fast he can run if you get it! Great fun.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Here's the link, but I'll put it separately in case we can't do commercial links like this here.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozeri-4x3runner-Pocket-3D-Pedometer-and-Activity-Tracker-with-Dual-Walking-and-Running-Mode-Technology/41421501
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! Some of those look like very good options.

Also, thanks for the unsolicited parenting advice, but I'm covered on that side of it.