What A Week Of Groceries Looks Like Around The World

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of food for a week.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    i love the Italians way of eating :)
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    That's fantastic! I just read on another website: ExRx.net (lots of great info) that the average American diet is the equivalent of 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup shortening, 1.5 cup white flour, and 1.5 cups cottage cheese. I'm assuming that's daily, and I assume it means North America. Frightening.
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    Well, glad our wonderful community of people on MFP knows better or is at least attempting to make better choices! :)
    This is why we rock.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I take offence to it being implied that us Brits eat dog but it's probably true that the French eat cats.

PS WTF is that huge stuffed toy elephant doing in that Polish living room???
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Notice the USA has a lot of prepared food items, the other ones have more fruit & veg. How can that one family exist on so little food in that one pic???? but the family is very thin - the ones that have hardly anything.

It's called living in a poor region of Africa :(
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The Chad one is pretty heartbreaking.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow..
    I know my family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids) don't even come close to the US photo.

Wonder how much of it goes to waste?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    In the France example...is the Cat part of the weeks groceries?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Depending on the week or day, my groceries look like any one of them. I live in a Filipino/Chinese/Italian/Irish household, where food is #1 priority. When my brother comes to visit, my groceries end up looking like all of them at once (he's a chef and his wife studied sushi making).
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    One thing I find Striking is the Stark color differences in the pictures. Look how brightly colored the US photo is to all the others.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This was interesting! Thanks for the post.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Loved this article when I read it first! great perspective!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not defending the average American diet because I know that it is horrific, but a lot of the impact of these photos is in how things are displayed. For example, every family other than the US family has their meat on platters, while the US family's is in packages, giving it a "less healthy" appearance. They also have the potato chips propped up tall so that's the first thing you notice. And as somebody else pointed out, the bright colored packaging gives the appearance that there is more "junk" food in the picture. There are prepackaged foods in most of these photos. And just about every family other than those in Africa have some form of soda. Also, there are frozen pizzas in at least four other pictures, yet the American family is proudly displaying their delivery pizzas front and center. Is delivery worse than frozen? I don't know.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that the German pic had their weekly stock of beer in the front row... lol

Great thread. Definitely a focus on processed crap in developed countries. Great thread.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I like Germany! WOO! Mmmm....beer.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I'm not defending the average American diet because I know that it is horrific, but a lot of the impact of these photos is in how things are displayed. For example, every family other than the US family has their meat on platters, while the US family's is in packages, giving it a "less healthy" appearance. They also have the potato chips propped up tall so that's the first thing you notice. And as somebody else pointed out, the bright colored packaging gives the appearance that there is more "junk" food in the picture. There are prepackaged foods in most of these photos. And just about every family other than those in Africa have some form of soda.

Interestingly Japan has a lot of pre packaged foods but they are all drab colors very neutral. Interesting from a marketing and cultural perspective.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! What a big eye opener.