Counting calories but not carbs bad..?

Options
capnandie
capnandie Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've recently started my diet and been steadily eating only 1200 calories a day and if I go over, walking or running to burn some off. I'm kind of thrown off by the whole argument of if carb counting or calorie counting is better.. I eat tortillas and white bread sometimes.. But always watch calorie intake. Is this bad..? Should I be worried or switch over? I've actually seen myself drop 3 lbs in the short time I've been on my diet but am still unsure how to feel about this debate. Can anyone help..?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I always only count calories and am almost 50 pounds down by now. Clearly it's working.

Some people find low carb has benefits for them. I don't - I have tried it in the past and found it unworkable for myself. And I've demonstrated that I really don't need to do it in order to lose weight.

My only piece of advice - don't do anything for weight loss you won't also do for weight maintenance. If you can't reduce or eliminate carbs forever, don't do it to lose weight, or you'll struggle with maintenance because you haven't used your time losing to build habits for maintaining.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I only counted calories and lost more than my original goal, and now am just below the mid-point of a healthy BMI, working on fitness goals now instead of weight goals.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i only count calories , if its hight in sugar, carbs or fat then the calorific value will reflect so i find this the best way to go and ive lost 13 kilos so it works !
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is more important with the CICO principle. However, I find it easier to stick to a lower calorie diet (I personally now eat 1500 calories per day) if I slightly up my protein and slightly lower my carbs. 300 calories of grilled chicken breast and salad feels like lots of food, 300 calories of cake feels like nothing. I try to get my carbs from food that is slightly less moreish, like porridge, fruit, boiled potatoes, legumes and pulses.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I only count calories and protein, and let carbs and fat take care of themselves, this way I can consume the same food and drink I've enjoyed all my life.
  • Mrsmiller0422
    Mrsmiller0422 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the real answer is. My boyfriend and I have been watching n counting our calories and we both have lost weight. I guess being accountable for what we eat is helping alot.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need to count both. Period.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I didn't limit carbohydrates at all when I was losing weight -- I only counted calories.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think I naturally eat fewer carbs to cut calories and stave off hunger, but it's whatever works for you within your calorie budget.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    capnandie wrote: »
    I've recently started my diet and been steadily eating only 1200 calories a day and if I go over, walking or running to burn some off. I'm kind of thrown off by the whole argument of if carb counting or calorie counting is better.. I eat tortillas and white bread sometimes.. But always watch calorie intake. Is this bad..? Should I be worried or switch over? I've actually seen myself drop 3 lbs in the short time I've been on my diet but am still unsure how to feel about this debate. Can anyone help..?
    Counting carbs is essentially counting calories. They are the same thing...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    capnandie wrote: »
    Counting carbs is essentially counting calories. They are the same thing...
    Other than those protein and fat things, yeah. Carbs are only a subset of calories for everyone not on the 100% carbs diet.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Fat first, protein second, calories third, carbs dead last!! Carbs to me are just a calorie filler- protein and fat you can't live without..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Counting carbs is a way some people lower their calories without actually counting calories or deal with hunger issues. If you are happy counting calories and don't need a method that avoids it, and if you aren't having hunger issues, no need to bother.

I counted carbs some in that I aimed at a particular percentage of carbs, fat, and protein as one way to balance my diet, but this was really more aimed at making sure I had enough protein (my fat and carbs kind of just fell into a pattern and I wouldn't have been bothered if the numbers were different). I think it can be nice to check back occasionally to see if there's any connection between days you feel hungrier and how you are eating (I find protein at breakfast helps me a lot), but if you aren't struggling with hunger I think many other things are more important than carb percentage, and there's a huge range of healthy diets with more or less carbs.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Fat first, protein second, calories third, carbs dead last!! Carbs to me are just a calorie filler- protein and fat you can't live without..
    To each his own...

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs. I count calories and aim to hit my protein, fat, and fiber goals (still working on hitting fiber consistently). If those goals are met, the carbs just fill in the rest.