Pasta makes me very HUNGRY

Options

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    DKLI wrote: »
    My husband and I have been eating the bean pastas made by Explore Asian. Black bean is my favorite! It keeps you full, has no sodium and full of protein. Less calories than regular pasta. It looks like straw so when it's cooked it plumps up.

This sounds interesting. I live in the Northeast, where would I find this?

Bean noodles can usually be found in any Asian grocery. You can also buy them online.

I also like rice noodles, such as what is used in Pho, and Pad Thai.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I ate pasta the last couple nights. I ate 4 oz (dry), which is double what a "serving" is, but I also ate it with a 1/2 pound of shrimp (it was an Asian dish that uses fettuccini noodles). Kept me full, and the meal was 588 cals. The pasta I used was of the white refined flour variety.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If I were to eat just plain pasta with sauce, I'd be starving afterwards too. Add some cheese or chicken or shrimp or something to eat to get some fat and protein in there and it should make you feel fuller.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How are you eating the pasta? I usually add lots of protein and vegetables to mine and it keeps me full. If I ate just pasta and sauce . . . yeah, I would probably be hungry.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the cravings after I have white bread or pasta. And they'll go on all day, whether I eat more of it or not! Doesn't matter. Until I sleep, I'll be craving more.

I just replaced them with whole wheat options. That did the trick for me.

Sometimes I make my own pasta and that is VERY good (unless it's new and not good, lol) and sometimes I eat the Mueller's whole wheat pasta. The Mueller's is the only store-bought one I could stand.

Breads, I make myself. The only store-bought whole wheat ones I could stand were the Arnold sandwich circle deals and the home-made is much better there, too.

White pasta just had to go. The cravings were too distracting and annoying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way if my sauce didn't have much protein in it. But now I eat high fiber pasta which is very satiating even if the sauce is low protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same with Oatmeal for me. Don't understand it all, especially as it's a recommended breakfast pretty much everywhere you read! I get way hungrier an hour or 2 later. It also makes me feel bloated if I increase the serving size.

That's why when people ask me for advice I tell them to try many things as everyone is different.

Oatmeal makes me sick now. Bloated and like I have a weight in my stomach, will get nauseous if I exercise afterwards... I'm going to have to try a smaller serving from now on, but it doesn't really fill me up either. It's weird.

I've tried bean noodles and they ended up in the trash, lol.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I ate pasta the last couple nights. I ate 4 oz (dry), which is double what a "serving" is, but I also ate it with a 1/2 pound of shrimp (it was an Asian dish that uses fettuccini noodles). Kept me full, and the meal was 588 cals. The pasta I used was of the white refined flour variety.

Huh? 4 oz of regular pasta is ~400 calories and 8 oz of shrimp is ~ 225 calories. That's 625 calories with absolutely no sauce or butter or anything, just boiled shrimp with plain boiled noodles.

400 cals for pasta, 160 cals for shrimp ("shrimp, raw" verified food with 7 confirmations, after researching same info online), sauce is 1 tbsp soy sauce, .5 tbsp chili garlic sauce, squeeze of lime juice, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 4 g brown sugar (I measured a large pinch haha). Shrimp was cooked in an OrGreenic pan that requires no oil/butter. :)

ETA: just double checked my recipe in the recipe builder, and it had the wrong weight of shrimp (6.8, weird) Even updating it to 8 oz, I was still at 617 cals for the dish. Not bad in my book :)
  • BingerNoMore
    BingerNoMore Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Being half Italian I know this all too well! I recommend wholewheat pasta :smile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I don't have that issue with pasta *shrug*

Then again, I use pasta as a side and not as my main. I always serve is with some sort of protein and a lot of vegetables.
  • carydaniel
    carydaniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, bulk starches like pasta are a very bad idea.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    carydaniel wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, bulk starches like pasta are a very bad idea.

Not if you're logging them and meeting your goals. I ate pasta regularly while losing weight -- it's all about the context of your overall diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DKLI wrote: »
    My husband and I have been eating the bean pastas made by Explore Asian. Black bean is my favorite! It keeps you full, has no sodium and full of protein. Less calories than regular pasta. It looks like straw so when it's cooked it plumps up.

I like the edamame pastas.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Edamame pasta?!

I haven't seen or made that, but it sounds WONDERFUL. O.M.G. Must look into that!

Another great tip found on MFP. :)
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I find the same to be true. I really focus now on making sure I get enough protein. I was way too hungry on carbs.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I often do feel hungry after a pasta dinner, even if I do add protein and fat to the meal. Most likely it is because I'm eating less than I used to eat, or maybe it lacks a certain amount of fiber?

I also get hungry fairly quickly if I eat russet potatoes but not when I eat sweet potato.

I do think it is possible for people to react differently to the same food, even if that different is largely psychological in nature.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. No pasta for me. I'll eat it at a restaurant if it's homemade but there's no way I'm going to eat a measly serving from a box. Leaves me hungry. I'll double the meat and veg thanks.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could try low carb high protein pasta. In Australia you can buy it at Woolworths and Coles. It definitely fills you up.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    SooozieA wrote: »
    No it's not in your head, pasta gives you a quick increase in blood sugar levels which results in more insulin production and then your blood sugar drops, making you hungry again.

Yup!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Well, we're all different and the way our minds and bodies process information and food differs from person to person. Sounds like you have a good handle an what works well for you. I hope over people that react the way you do to pasta (getting excessively hungry) can you your example as one possible way of dealing with this issue.