Why are some people getting fatter?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i think as usual people are taking this too personally. Its not about blame but someone does need to take responsibility before it gets out of control and that would be the parent.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    p.s and i am not saying its easy cos it is not
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    42firm03 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.

like most assumptions this one is bad.

Kids are not possessions. They have free will and lives apart from their parents so after about age 5 a parent is SOL on controlling intake.

Under 5, I can buy all about the home feeding environment but once school starts mom and dad aren't all there is to say.

Not sure where you live but in the UK a 5 year is still very much under the control of their parents for their intake. You either select a pre-set school meal or send your child to school with a pack lunch. It's not like they can go off site at lunch time and buy sweets in a local shop.

They may, manage to "swap" something they don't like for something they do like with another child but not many kids are going to give up their sweets and the lunch staff will be watching out for what the children are doing.

Here in America there's candy and rewards all the time. Finished your math, have a lollipop. Great soccer game, here's a doughnut. Etc. you can't outrun the amount of food on offer. If you are the type like Lemur's cat and my second kid, with no internal regulator. You are screwed! Kids don't have the emotional intelligence to say no when they should. You can't teach that and to be so judgmental of parents (not you, generic you) is fairly one sided view. IMO.

Who's giving those kids the lollipops and donuts, then?

And, therefore, rewarding children for doing their math and playing soccer. Food should never be used as a reward.

Teachers, coaches, other parents. It's why some schools have banned birthday treats at school. 27 kids in a class is 27 times a year you get cupcakes!

Yes, we've gone crazy with celebrating and rewarding ourselves and our kids with food.

I disagree that it was this way years ago. Treats were truly rare in my childhood, in America, in the South even! I had almost no opportunity to eat without my parents knowing about it. That's not true for my kids now.
    Three-fourths of a cupcake a week, even if all 27 have birthdays during the school year!

It's easier to blame society.

I actually prefer to blame my mother. It's really all her fault, isn't it?

If you were overweight as a child and are still a very young adult then much of the blame probably lies with the adult who raised you. But that is only true for very young adults. At some point you must take responsibility for yourself, even if a parent/guardian did give you a poor start.

Sorry, sarcasm font was turned off.
    Not her fault, not society's fault. Each bears their own is my whole point.

I sure as heck hope Personal responsibility kicks in well before young adulthood. I've got 4.5 decades done and my mother hasn't run my life for 3.5 of them.

Blaming parents is the same as blaming society, IMO. (For kids over 5-10-ish. I got nothing for the parents of an obese 2 yo.)

A 5-10 yo has personal responsibility?? Geez. :(
    I think they were saying it doesn't count for the kids up to ten, that Personal Responsibility begins at eleven years of age. Anyone who has raised a child will tell you that they're not ready to take on the world and be responsible at 11, lol. I'm not agreeing with the comment. But I think that's what they meant.

I think.

They were saying it begins at 6-11. Yeah, I got it. It blows my mind, but I got it.

I'm saying that at that age they put the food in their own mouth. I present it but I cannot make them eat it. I also cannot make them NOT eat. They are tall enough to get in cabinets and the fridge. Pour a bowl of cereal, etc. It's very different than nursing a baby or feeding a toddler, man those days were easy to control the food! I want them to eat the broccoli or chili with beans. They don't. Who's "responsible"?

The adult in charge.

Do you have children? just curious.

Yes, they are grown now, some with children of their own.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.

Kids are not possessions. They have free will and lives apart from their parents so after about age 5 a parent is SOL on controlling intake.

Under 5, I can buy all about the home feeding environment but once school starts mom and dad aren't all there is to say.

Not sure where you live but in the UK a 5 year is still very much under the control of their parents for their intake. You either select a pre-set school meal or send your child to school with a pack lunch. It's not like they can go off site at lunch time and buy sweets in a local shop.

They may, manage to "swap" something they don't like for something they do like with another child but not many kids are going to give up their sweets and the lunch staff will be watching out for what the children are doing.

Here in America there's candy and rewards all the time. Finished your math, have a lollipop. Great soccer game, here's a doughnut. Etc. you can't outrun the amount of food on offer. If you are the type like Lemur's cat and my second kid, with no internal regulator. You are screwed! Kids don't have the emotional intelligence to say no when they should. You can't teach that and to be so judgmental of parents (not you, generic you) is fairly one sided view. IMO.

And, therefore, rewarding children for doing their math and playing soccer. Food should never be used as a reward.

Teachers, coaches, other parents. It's why some schools have banned birthday treats at school. 27 kids in a class is 27 times a year you get cupcakes!

Yes, we've gone crazy with celebrating and rewarding ourselves and our kids with food.

I disagree that it was this way years ago. Treats were truly rare in my childhood, in America, in the South even! I had almost no opportunity to eat without my parents knowing about it. That's not true for my kids now.

I was under the impression they stopped it because of food allergies, not because of using food rewards.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Three-fourths of a cupcake a week, even if all 27 have birthdays during the school year!

If you were overweight as a child and are still a very young adult then much of the blame probably lies with the adult who raised you. But that is only true for very young adults. At some point you must take responsibility for yourself, even if a parent/guardian did give you a poor start.

I sure as heck hope Personal responsibility kicks in well before young adulthood. I've got 4.5 decades done and my mother hasn't run my life for 3.5 of them.

Blaming parents is the same as blaming society, IMO. (For kids over 5-10-ish. I got nothing for the parents of an obese 2 yo.)

I think they were saying it doesn't count for the kids up to ten, that Personal Responsibility begins at eleven years of age. Anyone who has raised a child will tell you that they're not ready to take on the world and be responsible at 11, lol. I'm not agreeing with the comment. But I think that's what they meant.

I think.

They were saying it begins at 6-11. Yeah, I got it. It blows my mind, but I got it.

I'm saying that at that age they put the food in their own mouth. I present it but I cannot make them eat it. I also cannot make them NOT eat. They are tall enough to get in cabinets and the fridge. Pour a bowl of cereal, etc. It's very different than nursing a baby or feeding a toddler, man those days were easy to control the food! I want them to eat the broccoli or chili with beans. They don't. Who's "responsible"?

The adult in charge.

i bet people werent expecting you to say yes
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Is it coffee?
    It is parents?
    Is it society?
    Is in a virus?
    Amylin?

I'm always always surprised at these threads and why people seek single causes for something that is so apparently multifactorial.

But if I were to look at major factors and consider that the countries that have shown in the past 30 years significant obesity early vs the countries where the growth of obesity has been slow to rise then some of the major factors would appear to be - easy access to high calorie, cheap food - this includes meal sizes, food packaging, etc... and lifestyle - mobility and exercise in daily life are just that much lower.

Coffee? If this was the case the largest countries would be Netherlands, Sweden, Italy, Germany, France, etc... USA doesn't even come in on the top ten consumers of coffee.

The causes vary, just as people do.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    it just comes from you, just like your personality. Coffee was one of the few things I kept down while pregnant and my kids are rails......
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I was under the impression they stopped it because of food allergies, not because of using food rewards.

I've been told it's a combination of the two.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I read a study that age of mom can impact obesity in children. Children born to mothers who are "advanced maternal age" are more likely to be obese and have health issues. I'm trying to find the damn thing but google must be broken this morning or something. Woman are having babies much older. I had mine at 32 and 34 and at 37 I'm still not sure if I'm done. Although my kids are normal weight.

I will also say that the 1980's were like a free for all for processed foods. When I think of what my everyday lunch was from like elementary school through high school I know why I'm here.

We also have many sedentary ways of amusing ourselves now with TV, cel phones, video games, etc. When I was little nintendo didn't come out until I was 9. Before that we spent all our time outside. After nintendo we spent all our time sending 2 Italian plumbers down sewer tubes and shooting ducks.

I had my kid at 38...they were concerned I had gestational diabetes but I didn't....she was born 9lbs, 9oz, 21 inches long...now she is 5'8, 132 lbs at 17 (and an amazing physique as she has played a competitve club sport for 8 years).....so hard to say if she was ever going to be obese if she did not have a sport to play...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

We do a cake party once a month at my daughter's school.
    Not a single obese child in this class.

Oh, and one of my daughters never eats this stuff because she hates most sweet things. I think she's actually an alien.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

That's interesting!

I will say that school now is much different than when I went. When I was in elementary I only remember learning the food pyramid and it was very brief. My oldest daughter is in 1st grade. In kindergarten she went through a whole food and nutrition section that was like 3 weeks long.

Also, as for school lunches, if I haven't packed one and she gets a lunch there, they're required to pick at least one fruit or vegetable, a protein & a grain (unless there's an allergy).

We get a printed calendar of what will be offered that day. And in fact, this months printout has alot of stuff on it (other than food menu). For example, it has two interesting things written at the top.

1) "Nutrition ToGo: Occassional fast food meals don't have to be unhealthy. Choose the smallest burger instead of the biggest. Go for mustard rather than ketchup or mayo. Skip the gooey sauces and get lettuce, tomato, onion and a pickle instead. Look for grilled options instead of breaded and/or fried. And if you must have fries, savor a small order."

2) "Season's Gr(EAT)ings: Overeating spikes for alot of us during the holiday season. At big events try to eat slowly and enjoy your food and be aware of the steady unconscious snacking that also spikes during this time!"

There's also a "Eat Better. Play Harder. Live Healthier. Learn Easier. Wellness is a way of life!" stamped across the bottom.

My kid has access to this menu at anytime and she can read now, so she hopefully takes away something useful from these calendar. But when I was a kid, these kinds of things were nonexistent. I don't even remember there being vegetables on my tray lunch to be honest.

So I think education does play a decent role in this but I also don't think it's any one thing to be blamed. It's a culmination of several things.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Oh, and one of my daughters never eats this stuff because she hates most sweet things. I think she's actually an alien.

Call the government. I confirm, alien.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Definitely an alien.

My kid likes frosting but not the cupcakes. I think she's an alien too.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One reason: many foods are just more calorie dense per serving. Also I started a thread a while a back at why people may possibly like carbs so much and why many may overindulge in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254582/a-possible-reason-why-people-love-carbs-so-much#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That doesn't explain why my 7yo kids skip dessert while I always wanted more at the same age though.
    Why do some seven year olds like math or dinosaurs or the color orange or brussels sprouts and some don't?

My younger daughter is a bread and carb fiend. My older rarely even eats desserts. I'm not really sure why it would matter why, in a practical sense.

I agree with the above. Some kids are just different. We feed both our kids the same food and one is slightly chunky and the other is quite thin. The thinner one will throw away a donut, ice cream cone etc when he is full or if he doesn't like how it tastes. The other one has never met a food he didn't like and is somewhat of a boredom eater. However, he is just as likely to overeat sweets as fruits/veggies so we can control his habits buy buying healthier food.

I think people are just different.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is my opinion, however I'm only 22 years old so I haven't been around as long as some others. This is also coming from someone that was close to 300+lbs at one time. I believe I've hit at a few of the questions.
    • I believe the food industry changed to make more convenient calorie loaded foods. Just walk down the middle aisles of Wal-Mart or almost any grocery store and you'll see what I mean. I think many people stopped cooking from the fresh vegetables, fruits, even sometimes meats. Over time people relied on the quick foods because of a busy possibly stressful life and it just all becomes habit and it's passed down. Often the processed foods are going to be higher calorie compared to a meal of vegetables and meat close to the same size or volume from what I find. I was a picky eater as a kid and still struggle with it today. Don't get me wrong, I still eat everything in moderation these days. Just an observance. I also believe some people, or a lot in this case, lack knowledge in reading food labels and nutrition. I didn't know anything about calories in high school.
    • Growing up I've had a binge eating disorder (B.E.D) caused from what I believe was stress, it started even before I was in fifth grade. Won't go into detail here. I still struggle with constantly feeling like I've been starving, which is what sometimes leads me to binging, but I find eating one or two large meals a day helps tremendously vs many smaller meals. Stress and emotions lead me to binging as well. So a bad diet (I got whatever I wanted, I was a picky eater) and B.E.D over time is what caused me to be over weight. I believe some people are programmed in a sense to eat more of a volume of food verses others, at least seeing from my family. I'm not saying it's true so don't hold me to it.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I think.

The adult in charge.

i bet people werent expecting you to say yes

I'm not surprised either way. I personally could relate to the sentiment (must be the parents fault) before I had children. Now that I have them I am much more sympathetic to the challenges of being a parent. I've seen parents try their best and for some reason it's harder for their situation.

I am all for parental responsibility but I've seen enough situations to know there are various factors that make this more challenging
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

It is a struggle - she's a bit of a carb (breads, noodles) and meat monster. Could not get her to eat vegetables or any greens for the greatest time. At eleven, we now can get her to eat avocado and peas (rarely) - no chocolate, no to most sweets. Very low tolerance to most pepper or spices. But she'll eat any cheese including Maroilles (stinkiest of stinky), snails and stuff like that ... a French alien. Baguette but no to pain aux chocolat.

Taste is a such a factor for food gorging.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

It is a struggle - she's a bit of a carb (breads, noodles) and meat monster. Could not get her to eat vegetables or any greens for the greatest time. At eleven, we now can get her to eat avocado and peas (rarely) - no chocolate, no to most sweets. Very low tolerance to most pepper or spices. But she'll eat any cheese including Maroilles (stinkiest of stinky), snails and stuff like that ... a French alien. Baguette but no to pain aux chocolat.

That was actually a lot like me when I was a kid. I didn't enjoy sweets until I was older and I still don't really eat them often.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That was actually a lot like me when I was a kid. I didn't enjoy sweets until I was older and I still don't really eat them often.

My grandmother called me "nasher" - someone with a sweet tooth because as a small kid I'd climb the cupboard in her house to stick my thumb into the coffee sugar bowl when I was 5. So -- personal preferences are pretty acute part of managing satiety and micro-needs. It's hard to assure a kid's nutrition when 90% of what you prepare is inedible to them.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I like to look to economics.

After WWII the US government engaged in a very deliberate strategy using incentives and subsidies to encourage as much production of grains and high-yield, high-calorie agricultural products as possible, which is a practice that continues to this day with our yearly farm bills and all of the various substitution and price support systems that go with it.

That has resulted in making corn and wheat products (sugar, flour, etc.) artificially cheap and plentiful. Agribusinesses also have the US Dept. of Agriculture partnering with them to encourage companies to package and sell these products to the public as effectively as possible.

No wonder why we see food everywhere, and in highly palatable, calorie-dense forms. Economic policy got us there. And since we're creatures of environment, mostly, we respond by eating more. Throw in the technological innovations that have resulted in so many "labor saving" devices out there, and you have the makings of what Kelly Brownell calls the "obesogenic environment."