Advice on Alternate Day Fasting please? (:

Hello,

My stats are 5'5" - current weight 8 stone 12lbs (124lbs) with a goal of 110-112lbs by the end of August.
I am trying out Alternate Day Fasting and wondered if someone could have a look at the following plan to see if you think I am doing it right (:

Monday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
Tuesday - Normal eating but within 1800 calories approx. No foods off limits to avoid psychological complications of feeling deprived/binging etc.
Wednesday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
Thursday -Normal eating but within 1800 calories approx. No foods off limits to avoid psychological complications of feeling deprived/binging etc.
Friday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
Saturday - Entirely free day including takeaway or other junk so may exceed 1800 calories.
Sunday - Below 1000 calories.
*REPEAT!*

Do you think this sounds OK? It works out to about 1200 a day which is what MFP set me at for my weight loss goal.
I also do about 30-45 minutes a day of walking with my dog and work full time where I am on my feet a lot being quite active. I am having great trouble losing these last 12-14lbs and have been trying different ways for months but the scales just stay between the same 4lbs back and forth! I am hoping that ADF will relieve some of the negative psychological feelings that accompany calorie restriction. I also take green coffee bean extract but am not sure it's doing anything!

Greatly appreciate any advice (:

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    A lot of people are going to tell you for one you are not even eating enough. Your goal is unrealistic, but if you want to do some sort of fasting, look up 5:2 intermittent fasting which means you eat 500kcals on 2 days, and the other 5 you eat at your maintenance level.
  • conslo247
    conslo247 Posts: 4
    Thanks for answering! (:
    I'm just wondering why you said my goal was too unrealistic? I used to weigh 7st 2lbs a few years ago.
    But 8st is within healthy range for my height and I look and feel much better there. Time wise it doesn't have to be end of August particularly but I do seem to have been trying to lose this bit of weight forever. I started the year around 9st 9lbs but have been stuck just under 9st for months.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    You are already a good weight for your height if you hit your goal of 110 pounds you will be classed as underweight. Stop worrying so much about the numbers. Concertrate on your fitness and fuel yoursel (eat more) more to do this. Set yourself fitness goals rather than weight ones.
  • kellehbeans
    Thanks for answering! (:
    I'm just wondering why you said my goal was too unrealistic? I used to weigh 7st 2lbs a few years ago.
    But 8st is within healthy range for my height and I look and feel much better there. Time wise it doesn't have to be end of August particularly but I do seem to have been trying to lose this bit of weight forever. I started the year around 9st 9lbs but have been stuck just under 9st for months.

You're already a good weight, so getting to an even lower weight in such a short space of time could be harmful to your health. It's not a race, it's a marathon. If you really want to reach that goal, then you eat properly, enough food and move more. Eating too little really will make you unwell. I should know.

You'll get all brittle hair, bones and nails and the low calories are not sustainable. If you choose to eat more to lose weight slowly, it'll be more likely to stay off. Eat nutritious foods and plenty of it! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Also, it'll be much harder to lose that weight, even with lower calories because of your weight already! That, and if you lost too quickly, you'll be ditching lean body mass too and your body fat percentage will just go through the roof!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Depending on the calculator you use 8 stone gives you a bmi of between 18.4 or 18.6 either at the low end or classed as underweight. So in reality unless you have the slightest of frames in all liklihood that is too low.
  • kellehbeans
    Andd sorry for the double post, but I've just seen you're a male. You need to be eating WAAAAAAAAAY more than you have stated!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Perhaps I just don't know enough about this type of lifestyle but what exactly is the point of this alternate day fasting? Doesn't it seem more logical to eat healthy and nutritious food every day of the week with days for splurging every once in a while? If you keep working out with that little nutrition you are going to burn out fast...

Just my two cents..
  • kellehbeans
    Perhaps I just don't know enough about this type of lifestyle but what exactly is the point of this alternate day fasting? Doesn't it seem more logical to eat healthy and nutritious food every day of the week with days for splurging every once in a while? If you keep working out with that little nutrition you are going to burn out fast...

Just my two cents..

I don't see the point either. But whatever works for someone, I don't know. *shrugs*
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Hello,

My stats are 5'5" - current weight 8 stone 12lbs (124lbs) with a goal of 110-112lbs by the end of August.
    I am trying out Alternate Day Fasting and wondered if someone could have a look at the following plan to see if you think I am doing it right (:

Monday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
    Tuesday - Normal eating but within 1800 calories approx. No foods off limits to avoid psychological complications of feeling deprived/binging etc.
    Wednesday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
    Thursday -Normal eating but within 1800 calories approx. No foods off limits to avoid psychological complications of feeling deprived/binging etc.
    Friday - 500 calories (in the form of porridge, or steamed fish and vegetables, or similar)
    Saturday - Entirely free day including takeaway or other junk so may exceed 1800 calories.
    Sunday - Below 1000 calories.
    *REPEAT!*

Do you think this sounds OK? It works out to about 1200 a day which is what MFP set me at for my weight loss goal.
    I also do about 30-45 minutes a day of walking with my dog and work full time where I am on my feet a lot being quite active. I am having great trouble losing these last 12-14lbs and have been trying different ways for months but the scales just stay between the same 4lbs back and forth! I am hoping that ADF will relieve some of the negative psychological feelings that accompany calorie restriction. I also take green coffee bean extract but am not sure it's doing anything!

Greatly appreciate any advice (:

I did alternate day intermittent fasting for weight loss. I got my numbers from the book, The Alternate Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson. If you google JUDDD you'll find his site, which also has a calculator for your up day (normal calorie days) and down days (low calorie/fasting days) numbers. Feel free to message me any questions-I lost all my weight doing this plan and absolutely loved it!

ETA: since your a guy and already a pretty low weight, then alternate day IF would not be a good fit for you.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member

Just my two cents..

A big part of it is you only 'diet' every other day, which for many makes it doable long term, instead of restricting calories every day and starting to feel burned out by the lower number of calories every single day of a traditional plan. There's no need for 'cheat' days or feeling guilty when you want to have a higher calorie food/meal, because every other day you can eat as you like. For me that was huge and I believe the main reason why I was so successful with alternate day IF. There's also health benefits associated with intermittent fasting :) Also, I did the plan for 6ish months and had blood work done towards the end of it-my numbers were the best that they've ever been, including no longer being pre-diabetic.
  • jdraugho
    jdraugho Posts: 5
    Do you do any type of strength training?

I recommend doing free weight full body compound movement strength training three times per week. By adding muscle and eating healthy proteins (0.7-1.0 Grams per pound of body weight) to support muscle development. You will up your metabolism to burn of that stubborn fat. Also, continue your walking regimen.

Be patient, eating less will not get rid of the fat. Food is fuel for your body, find your BMR and never eat less than that.

http://www.princetonlivingwell.com/calculators/bmr.aspx
  • conslo247
    conslo247 Posts: 4
    Thank you for the responses and advice, esp the JUDDD calculator. It said I need 2000 on my up days and about 400 on my down days. Argh I was having trouble sticking to 400 yesterday and went up to almost 500. I have feasted on everything I wanted today including a sandwich for lunch, pizza for dinner, onion rings, and even a can of coke and I am currently at 1230 net calories with exercise taken off. Seems weird as I feel totally satisfied today -have eaten everything I have wanted but the calories are still pretty low today. Interested to see how this will work in terms of weight loss. I appreciate the advice about already being a low weight but I am small framed and looked and felt better when I was around 8 stone, it makes a huge difference to my face when I am a lower weight (for the better).
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Bump
  • tridd3r
    tridd3r Posts: 2 Member
    I'm doing alternate day fasting myself, have been for 3 weeks now, and I love it. I'm actually full fasting 3 days a week, eating 4. I'll finish dinner on Sunday, fast through till Tuesday morning have a normal days worth of food, approx 2000 cals, (i'm not super strict) then finish dinner on Tuesday night fast through till Thursday morning, eat normal, fast till Saturday morning and get some bacon and eggs!! The weekends i don't worry about cal counting, just try and keep the food real, have hearty meals and have a few beers.
    I will have a weight session 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, Cardio in the from of Basketball on Monday and Squash on Wednesday and Friday, and depending on weather I'll get out for a bike ride on the weekend.
    Fasting days I feel amazing with no food. I play squash the best I've ever played, have a really clear mind and feel really agile. I've had numerous people tell me that I'm not getting enough "nutrients" and all the rest of that bull****, but I like to listen to my body, and my body tells me I'm doing an amazing job. My strength training has improved since fasting, (I've been weight training for 6 months, hit a plateau hence the change to fasting) my fat loss has increased to nearly a kg per week, (roughly 2 pounds) prior to my plateau I was on about 500grams (1 pound) per week. Do what YOUR body likes. For me a complete fast really fits into my schedule a lot better then trying to have small meals, and I find it much easier to fast for 3 days a week then to restrict my calories for 7.

I hope you can gain something from my experiences so far :)