Livin La Vida Low Carb

Options
Hey all!

So I'm recently doomed to eat low carb. I, along with the team of doctors I work with, have done a lot of research on the effects of carbohydrates on the body, and how they relate to insulin levels and fat storage.

So now I'm on a low carb mission. A vendetta, if you will. I am on day 2 and I really hate life right now. I'm detoxing...hard. And I need some motivation. Because I really really really really really really really reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllyy want cookies.

Is anyone else low-carbing? If so, I'd like to scope out your diaries for some ideas. This is tough, and it usually takes about 2 weeks to get over the initial fatigue, irritability, and cravings. At this point, I just want to go back to bed and wake up in 2 weeks...

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, so low carb is the lifestyle I live.

I have no problems with it. I have something carby occassionally and then it makes me sick and I realize why I shouldn't eat it.

I feel better than I have in my entire life, so it isn't a problem for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It will only take a couple of days to get them out of your system...3-5 days. I am low carb (but still eat them in fruits, veggies and complex carbs mainly). Drink lots of water, eat your protein, try some green tea as well. I mix mine in a smootie as I don't do the tea thing.

As for food I love my turkey taco salad. Just cook ground turkey in taco seasoning and have that on a salad made with the veggies of your choice with some non fat or low fat cheese, non fat SC and salsa.

My other favorite snack of course are the veggies for teh crunch...ie carrots, brocolli, cauliflower etc. I kept those cut up in my fridge all the time when I started.

But again I am not against carbs just refined ones.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For me, stopping refined carbs (cake, candy) is a lot like quitting tobacco was. It helped confirm in my mind just how bad and addictive they can be. Stick with it, it will be worth it. I feel better without them and when I give in and eat them they are never as good as it seemed and not worth it. Eventually your tastes will change and those cookies you crave will be too sweet and a cup if strawberries will taste much better.

The best thing you can do to help is re-aquant yourself with fat. Full fat mayos, dressings, meats taste great and will keep you satisfied. Also don't forget to drink some broth or add some extra salt to help with the detox.

Friend me and you can view my diary.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It will only take a couple of days to get them out of your system...3-5 days. I am low carb (but still eat them in fruits, veggies and complex carbs mainly). Drink lots of water, eat your protein, try some green tea as well. I mix mine in a smootie as I don't do the tea thing.

As for food I love my turkey taco salad. Just cook ground turkey in taco seasoning and have that on a salad made with the veggies of your choice with some non fat or low fat cheese, non fat SC and salsa.

My other favorite snack of course are the veggies for teh crunch...ie carrots, brocolli, cauliflower etc. I kept those cut up in my fridge all the time when I started.

But again I am not against carbs just refined ones.

I second the turkey salad, but I'd substitute the non-fat or low-fat for full fat. They taste better, will keep you fuller, and help with the cravings.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Keep your salt levels up, you'll be flushing a lot down the toilet so to head off the "low carb flu" maintain a good salt intake.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It'll get easier after you go through hell. Bacon at the end of the rainbow?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I'm recently doomed to eat low carb. I, along with the team of doctors I work with, have done a lot of research on the effects of carbohydrates on the body, and how they relate to insulin levels and fat storage.

Care to enlighten us on your research?
  • mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have been living a ketogenic life style (typically 35% protein/60% fat/5% carbs, although I am more like 70% fat, 25 % protein) since Sept 14, 2012 and I don't see it as a doom at all! How can I feel doomed when I get to eat things like chicken stuffed with jalapeno cream cheese wrapped in bacon?!?

If you are interested in information around a ketogenic lifestyle, I suggest http://www.reddit.com/r/keto on the left : Keto in a nutshell.

There are also a number of ketoers on here who are happy to support!
  • KatLifter
    Options

OP: There are a lot of people on this site who are dead-against low carb eating. I'd recommend listening to your doctor over their skepticism. Even when presented with research, some of these people continue to try and turn people against low carb eating.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Keep your salt levels up, you'll be flushing a lot down the toilet so to head off the "low carb flu" maintain a good salt intake.

I drink distilled water with 1/4 tsp himalayan salt per gallon to help with this.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am on day 10 and actually love it. Low carb is giving me more energy less stomach issues and I just fee l better all around and the wieght is melting off. I have craving hard on day 6 and 7 but not to bad now. I am actually doing carb a nite solution so I am having carbs tonight and then allowing myself carbs one night a week. It makes it easier to look forward to that one night than to say I am never eating carbs again.

How many carbs are you allowing your self? I am keeping under 30 grams a day. Salsa, Hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, mustard and mayo are the only condiments I use and that has allowed me create some variety to my meals. If you want something sweet red rasberries are 2.3 carbs for 10 raspberries so if you want something sweet they taste really sweet after having no carbs for a week.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

OP: There are a lot of people on this site who are dead-against low carb eating. I'd recommend listening to your doctor over their skepticism. Even when presented with research, some of these people continue to try and turn people against low carb eating.

Why get so defensive when someone askes for research. I am interested in learning new things and would like to know too.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have been living a ketogenic life style (typically 35% protein/60% fat/5% carbs, although I am more like 70% fat, 25 % protein) since Sept 14, 2012 and I don't see it as a doom at all! How can I feel doomed when I get to eat things like chicken stuffed with jalapeno cream cheese wrapped in bacon?!?

If you are interested in information around a ketogenic lifestyle, I suggest http://www.reddit.com/r/keto on the left : Keto in a nutshell.

There are also a number of ketoers on here who are happy to support!

That chicken recipe sounds awesome I would love to get some more recipes

my favorite even before low carb eating. Chicken breast with taco seasoning, topped with one tbls of salsa a hefty amount of Colby and cheddar cheese sprinkled over top bake in the oven. 4-5 carbs
  • KatLifter
    Options

Why get so defensive when someone askes for research. I am interested in learning new things and would like to know too.

Not defensive about research at all, just letting the OP know the usual reaction to low-carb posts here. I've had lengthy discussions with the same poster about this topic.
    Look through some other topics and you'll see lots of research supporting both sides.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not defensive about research at all, just letting the OP know the usual reaction to low-carb posts here. I've had lengthy discussions with the same poster about this topic.
    Look through some other topics and you'll see lots of research supporting both sides.

The reason I asked about her research was it sounded vaguely Taubesian, and well Taubes is good for the Lols but not much else
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Because Acg67 isn't interested in research - he's interested in setting up a situation in which he can be pedantic and play semantics.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Living low carb 17 years!! FR if you wish ...open diary! :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Poor poor insuline........so missunderstood
  • luvlc
    luvlc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low Carb/Paleo/Primal 7 years now and 200 lbs lost and maintained, I feel great and am no longer addicted to food. There are so many benefits to this way of eating that the temporary annoyances go away pretty quickly. It's all about accepting that you will eat this way forever and it not being a diet. Hang in there!
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The thing I love about low carb is that I'm not hungry. I eat eggs, bacon, nuts, sardines, chicken, lots of veggies, berries, cheese, a bit of dark chocolate, a slice of Ezekiel bread once in a while, cream in my coffee and tea. My blood sugars are down, I'm losing weight, my cholesterol numbers are outstanding.

Good luck!