Weighing Food

Options
I started to weigh my food last night ... however, my scale is in grams or pounds but not ounces (I guess I could do the conversion?) and when I scan packages of foods it tells me what the options are for a serving and NONE of them were in grams...example. Last night I had a salad with Ranch dressing on it. I weighed it and then scanned in the bottle, options? 2 tbsp as a serving. I struggled to figure out what to enter.

So I figure I'll ask the experts who weigh their food. Do you have to do a bunch of math to weigh it and figure out the calories of a "serving"? Help.

Replies

• rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Look on the bottle and it should tell you what a serving is on grams
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It doesn't, it has ml....so how would you log it since it's a weight measurement and not a liquid measurement.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Typically most packages tell you what the equivalent is in grams. However, I'd say in this case if the only option you have is tbsp... at least measure out a tbsp rather than pouring it all on eyeball style that's better than nothing :) Although, typically dressings and things like that aren't too high in calories so its not a big deal if you're not on 100%
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i use this site a lot to figure out servings and nutrients not listed on things.

this link takes you to the ranch dressing info. (regular ranch dressing)
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/758?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=35&offset=&sort=&qlookup=ranch+dressing
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For dressing, I always estimate the ml as my grams - so almost always 30-31g. It's pretty close with the thinner dressings, and a little off with thicker dressings.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    28 grams = 1oz. The packages usually tell you in grams too.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If the serving size is, let's say 30 grams or 2T. If you way out 18 grams on a scale, 18/30 = .6 serving which would still be .6 serving of 2T.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could measure out a tablespoon and weigh it. Then write the grams on the label in a permanent marker.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah some have servings in ml and it's frustrating. I just assume 31g, as most dressings have a serving size of 31g.
  • Daveacpa2
    Daveacpa2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I purchased a scale where I can choose whether I want the weight to be in ounces or grams, saves a lot of time.