Sports bras

Options
kfuog
kfuog Posts: 24 Member
I see a lot of women at the gym who don't (IMHO) have adequate support in their sports bras. I'm at 34DD, so I know how important support is, and I'm willing to pay for a bra that gives me that. When I see women in the kickboxing class or on the treadmill bouncing around, it worries me because they are stretching their tissue and eventually everything will sag--even more than it would from getting older (I'm also 48, so I know about that too!).

The question is: Is there a good, polite way to suggest to these women that maybe they should invest in good sports bras for more support? I would not approach a total stranger--just too weird and awkward. But what about someone I know? I could do this with a good friend, but a gym buddy: is that different?

Also, if people want to use this topic to suggest good bras they use, that might help for women reading this and wondering what works for various sizes and shapes.

I use an Underarmor bra. The cups are padded, so that keeps everything up where it should be. It's VERY snug, even though it's a large, and that helps keep everything where it should be and minimizes the bouncing. I do like that there are individual cups: stops the "uniboob" look!

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    There are only two brands that I currently trust to support me: Panache and Shock Absorber.

The Shock Absorbers are unwired, unpadded and very comfortable but not terribly attractive.

The Panache Sports Bra is my absolute favourite. Not only is it comfortable and supportive but it keeps me looking perky and I'd feel comfortable wearing it without a t-shirt over.

(I'm a 32F-FF at the moment. I was a 34F.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    you could bring it up with someone you know along the lines of 'aren't you worried that not enough support will have a downward effect on the girls' ? I know I dont want mine going south any time soon so I'd be glad of some suggestions/help :)

I do like good support but haven't so far spent money on sports bras, I have a couple of excellent every day bras that hold everything nicely in place plus I'm a D cup so they're not big enough for them to move excessively anyway :)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately we all just want to share information when we know that it'll make the lives of others more comfortable/happy/etc. I'm a 36DD and I won't even consider running without one of my good sports bras on. If I had a friend that I think would benefit from a new/better sports bra, I might say something like "I love my new running bra. It's a ---- brand and I got it at ---- for $45 which isn't bad at all for a bra that keeps the girls cozy and in place!".

I'll have to check out the underarmor ones. I have a shock absorber extreme and I recently got one of the high impact ones from Victoria Secret. It was on sale for $30 and is shockingly great. I like both. It's nice to have at least two good ones at a time so that when one is in the wash, the other is ready to go :)
  • kfuog
    kfuog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions on how to handle approaching my friend/s about getting a better bra. Very helpful! :smile:
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was just about to post a new topic asking about what the best sports bras are for running. I tried to get into running, but was very uncomfortable and found myself wanting to run with my hands supporting my chest (not a very good look and very awkward on a public street.) I think I would be able to do more if I had the right support and didn't feel like I was "stretching my tissue."

I'm a 36D and have always considered my assets one of my "perkier" attributes. The last thing I want to do is mess them up!
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't experience any pain with cheaper sports bras and am not really in an income bracket to have a wardrobe of bodyarmor. I am a B/C cup, however. My boobs are going to sag someday no matter what I do with them, as will pretty much everyone's. There is no magic formula to prevent that. I feel comfortable in cheaper and perhaps bouncier bras (for the record, I usually work out in loose T's), and wouldn't like to be called out for it. It would feel sexual and judge-y.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there's any appropriate way to walk up to a stranger at a gym and tell her she needs a better sports bra. Kind of one of those MYOB moments. People you know? I'd just start talking about the awesome new sports bra you got and recommend they try it in a non-yourboobsarebouncingaroudtoomuch way. If it was an actual friend? I'd say "You're gonna put your eye out with those things. Strap 'em down!"

Personally, I'm a 34DDD I can't stand boobie bounce when I'm working out! I've been known to wear a regular bra beneath a VS sports bra just to tame these puppies.