Oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have another suggestion...steel cut oatmeal made in a rice cooker. I add chopped apples, reduced sugar dried cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon. Use the brown rice setting. You can portion it out into a mini muffin pan and freeze. Now, you have individual servings that heat up in two minutes.

Brilliant! I like adding cinnamon instead of sugar, and/or various dried fruits.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    60nf1eu5xvp8.jpg
    Dinosaur egg oatmeal! It's made by Quaker.

i used to love this as a kid haha
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Psst ... you can cook single servings of instant, rolled AND steel cut oatmeal in the microwave. The first you cook for a minute or so on 100%. The second takes about 5-10 min at 30-40% (depends on thick the oats are), and the third takes 15-20 min at 30%.

Useful info for when you don't want to dirty a pan. Once you're done it in a particular microwave once, there's no need to monitor or stir the oatmeal in the microwave either.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like instant steel cut. I'm lazy in the morning so I add boiling water at night and snap a tight lid on. This cooks it about half way.

Lately I've been eating "pumpkin pie oatmeal." Take a 15 oz can of pumpkin puree.....add sweetener, cinnamon & salt. Portion out (8 servings) and freeze. Muffin tins - great idea!

In the a.m. I add the "thawed" pumpkin to my half cooked oats & cook 2;30 minutes. I like to stir in a Tbl. of Coffee Mate Pumpkin Spice creamer.....nice and creamy (totally optional though).
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @queenofpuppies and @SylvieKuchma
    Here is my recipe:
    1 1/2cups steel cut oats
    3 cups water
    2 apples chopped
    1 cup milk
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/2 cups dried cranberries
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp cinnamon

I cook it on the brown rice setting. Some cookers have a porridge setting which works too. Spray a mini loaf pan with Pam to prevent sticking. Scoop portions into the pan. Freeze. I add a little extra milk and a touch of honey after I heat mine up.

zmso9zieg9ni.jpeg

boy does my tummy hurt right now, this turned out so good that i over ate!!
    found some cinnamon sugar so i used that for the cinnamon (i could taste that real cinnamon definitely would of been better) and i half the cranberries and added currants for its other half.. found i needed to add a little sweetness for my tastebuds and 1/4cp of warmed milk to the extra large serving i took to make it creamier cause my rice cooker dried up the mixture a little bit but, overall i really enjoyed your recipe and its going to become my new go to oatmeal for sure.. thanks again for sharing it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    boy does my tummy hurt right now, this turned out so good that i over ate!!
    found some cinnamon sugar so i used that for the cinnamon (i could taste that real cinnamon definitely would of been better) and i half the cranberries and added currants for its other half.. found i needed to add a little sweetness for my tastebuds and 1/4cp of warmed milk to the extra large serving i took to make it creamier cause my rice cooker dried up the mixture a little bit but, overall i really enjoyed your recipe and its going to become my new go to oatmeal for sure.. thanks again for sharing it.

I'm so glad you liked it! Next time you make it, add a bit more milk to the cooker if yours came out too thick.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to like oatmeal - I'm having it every morning. At the office cafeteria, I take what I can get. At home on the weekends I do this:

1/4 cup of Better Oats Steel Cut Oats:
    in a saute pan. Toss in a generous smattering of pretty much equal parts ground cinnamon and ground ginger. A tiny bit of light brown sugar. If I feel like it, about half a teaspoon of Dutch-processed dark chocolate.

Toast everything till you can smell the spices. Then add around a cup of water. It'll bubble up immediately.

Cook until the water's mostly absorbed - I'm not a huge fan of "gloppy" textures and this renders a more solidified helping. Cooks up fast, too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I'm learning to like oatmeal - I'm having it every morning. At the office cafeteria, I take what I can get. At home on the weekends I do this:

1/4 cup of Better Oats Steel Cut Oats:
    in a saute pan. Toss in a generous smattering of pretty much equal parts ground cinnamon and ground ginger. A tiny bit of light brown sugar. If I feel like it, about half a teaspoon of Dutch-processed dark chocolate.

Toast everything till you can smell the spices. Then add around a cup of water. It'll bubble up immediately.

Cook until the water's mostly absorbed - I'm not a huge fan of "gloppy" textures and this renders a more solidified helping. Cooks up fast, too.

Coach's Instant Steel Cut Oats come already toasted.....it really helps the flavor.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal. I cook mine in water (if it's cooked till properly creamy, to me it tastes as nice as when cooked in milk). A tiny pinch of salt makes it even better. I vary my toppings, but some of my recent ones include:
    - whey protein, to increase the protein content of the breakfast. I can't really taste it.
    - Skinny syrup, white chocolate flavour (flavoured artificial sweetener - it's nice, but a bit overpowering)
    - A bit of peanut powder with a bit of cocoa or hot chocolate powder - makes it like Reece's pieces
    - Any dried fruit I can find
    - Cinnamon

If I also have something else for breakfast, like an egg, I'll have 30-40g of oatmeal. If it's my only breakfast, I'll have about 60g.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    120 grams of oats, 30 grams of dark brown sugar, and however much ground cinnamon looks good. Simmer in two cups of water for five minutes while I feed and water the dogs. It keeps me full for a couple of hours.
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal, we eat it for supper some nights. I take a half of Apple , slice it and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda brown sugar and microwave for a minute or two. Then add in oatmeal and a little more brown sugar if needed. Sometimes I add a few chopped up pecans. Yummy
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal in the microwave. Half a cup old fashioned oats and water with a pinch of salt. When done, add 2tbs unsweetened coconut cream (canned) and a dash of cinnamon. It's the bomb.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with some coconut oil as a base and toss in some blue berries or sliced strawberries

Or both!

Sugar free cool whip spray can. Pack of stevia.

If feels so right it should be be wrong.... But it is actually super healthy.

Steel cut oatmeal is FM.