Arabic whipped garlic?

amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Does anyone have a recipe for that awesome whipped garlic found at arabic restaurants? I've tried a few times, but it came out runny rather than thick and creamy and you could totally still taste the yogurt, it tasted like yogurt with bits of garlic in it, yech!

I do have several arabic grocery stores and restaurants near me, but I already go to two different grocery stores so I hate to do more running around. I would love to find a recipe that I can make with things I can keep in the house, or already have.

Replies

• mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    its not really a yogurt - its more of a mayo/aioli

here's the basic recipe http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/thick-style-lebanese-garlic-sauce/Detail.aspx

I don't make it because I suck at emulsifying anything.
  • stephlewis
    stephlewis Posts: 59
    also instead of dicing it try using a garlic press, you'll get a finer, smoother paste for garlic! =)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Made it a few times, although I use Olive Oil only. I just throw everything in my blender and let it go until I get the consistency I want.

Sometimes I add a little dill and Habaneros and use it as a sandwich spread.
  • amymeenieminymo
    also instead of dicing it try using a garlic press, you'll get a finer, smoother paste for garlic! =)

Ah, thanks for the tip, I hate dicing garlic anyway. I registered for one but if I get one it won't be till October, maybe I'll go buy it early!
  • amymeenieminymo
    its not really a yogurt - its more of a mayo/aioli

here's the basic recipe http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/thick-style-lebanese-garlic-sauce/Detail.aspx

I don't make it because I suck at emulsifying anything.

Thank you so much, that looks really easy and doesn't require anything I don't always keep in my house! I'm seriously so happy right now because I HATE having to buy it all the time, and I never end up using it all before it goes bad and I hate wasting it.
This discussion has been closed.