Salads

One of my friends told me that I should have salad for lunch for a week to 2 weeks to jump start weight loss. I'm going to try it. It will be homemade.

Replies

• katiehoward8
    katiehoward8 Posts: 4 Member
    I like the chopped salad kits. Or any salad kit. I prepare the whole salad and the then split it in half with my partner. That way you know exactly how many calories without having to measure. It's fast and easy. My man has lost 10lbs in two weeks this way. I think that's a jump start! Some of the kits are now introducing yogurt dressings. Still so yummy with less fat.
  • Go4Me2
    Go4Me2 Posts: 34 Member
    I always like the vigerate dressings
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Weight loss isnt jump started with anything. Weight loss happens when you eat less calories than your body needs for energy. Your body then goes and gets the extra energy(calories) it needs from fat stores and muscle stores. You can start losing weight and continue losing at the same rate if you ate lets say 1500 calories in salads and "healthy" foods or 1500 calories in donuts and bacon. A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. No "jump starting" happens.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I don't know about it jump starting weight loss, but personally I love salads. Be careful of add-ins like dressing, cheese, bacon, croutons, dried fruits, etc. These are not necessarily bad but the calories can add up quickly if you aren't careful. I always measure out my salad dressing. Vinaigrettes tend to be lower in calories; I've also taken a liking to the Bolthouse Farms dressing with a yogurt base (the Ranch and Cilantro Avocado are my favorites). Good luck!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    The mental aspect of making this change could be considered a jumpstart of sorts. It won't likely be a physical jump start to weight loss. We're all different and how we perceive our efforts can be just as important as how we physically go about them.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2015
    Make sure you add some protein to it. If I don't, I end up starving! I like a handful of nuts or some hardboiled eggs.

A lot of time I'll just make a salad the side to whatever I was eating anyway. It makes meal planning so easy if you never have to think about sides!

Any way you can add more veggies in is good!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    brower47 wrote: »
    The mental aspect of making this change could be considered a jumpstart of sorts. It won't likely be a physical jump start to weight loss. We're all different and how we perceive our efforts can be just as important as how we physically go about them.

Agree. A lot of this is mental. You have to be aware and conscious and pursue a plan that you believe you can follow. If replacing lunch with salads everyday for awhile accomplished that for you then that is great! Go for it! I know I have to be careful about "junk" too much of it derails me and I have trouble getting back on track.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Go4Me2 wrote: »
    I always like the vigerate dressings

These can be high in fat and sodium if you're buying bottled. Read your labels. Eating salad is fine if you like it and add protein and nutrients to it, but you don't need salad to either lose or maintain weight.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    My favorite lunch right now is Sweet Kale mix (without the dressing and seeds and fruit ), a can of tuna and a hardboiled egg with a tbs of good dressing. The whole thing is about 265 calories , so flavourful and keeps me full for hours.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    1) do you like salad?

It has no magical properties in it

2) how many calories are you allowing for your salad?

That's what counts ...I could have a decent tasty salad with dressing and protein for the same calories as rice and chicken cacciatore

Eat food you enjoy ...if it's salad great ...if not eat something else

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat a lot of salads because I enjoy them (particularly in the summer) and it's a good way to get in a lot of veggies...but I've never known salads to "jump start" anything. I ate salads often when I was over weight as well...salad isn't magic and many salads can have as much or more calories than other entrees.

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I happen to love a good salad, but for me, a salad can often be a large meal. I'll end up with a mixing bowl full of food and the end product tends to be a combination of foods that adds up to a good number of calories, from my protein, usually some kind of oil and vinegar dressing, whatever i happen to throw in there.

That said, as others have said, a salad won't do anything magical in regards to weight loss and won't help "jump start" anything on it's own.

If you enjoy salad, eat salad, and track it accurately... if you don't enjoy it, then don't eat it as it will not be a part of your journey that you enjoy.

As long as you track the ingredients accurately and stay within your calorie goals you will be successful. that's a good part of what this takes.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    I eat salad almost every day. I think 4 cups of greens is like 40 kcal. I load mine up with chopped carrots, celery, tomatoes and whatever other veggies I have. I don't track the fresh raw veggies as careful...but all the extras I track. Like I count the olives, or measure an artichoke heart etc. I like to make my own salad dressing since I try to nix the oil, I would rather get my fat from avacado or my protein .
    It's an awesome way to get you veggies and fiber for the day
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I love salads -- I buy chopped salads in the bag -- throw out the dressing & crouton junk, and use lite Italian dressing, 1/2 apple cut up, and plain tuna fish, grilled chicken or turkey on top. A delicious, filling lunch with calories/nutrients that fit to my macros for weight loss. Sometimes I sprinkle 1/4 cup quinoa on top. Delish!