protien powder Help

Options
2»

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldnt give it to my child. Too much protein can be really bad and some of them are filled with a lot of sweetners etc. My husband and I were on one that gave us both really bad headaches apparently due to the msg in it. You can get build up shakes from boots which may be more suitable for him but I would check with doc first. I know doctors also used to give a liquid that was full of calories but I can't remember what it was called now. Good luck with it.:-)
    The doctors are very quick to mention PediaSure but it is pricey and it is heavily marketed to them by Abbot. they have a pretty good site and you can see what their various formulations contain to compare to other options:
    https://pediasure.com/
    My son would drink the chocolate ones without the slightest complaint, but the cost was difficult to justify.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have some question about protein powder I need some help. To start off let me start from beginning. I have a 9 yr old son who weight is 46 pounds. That is really small for a 9 yr old. He is a very picky eater. I have tried everything to get him to eat. After talking to a few parents I thought of an idea. "putting protein powder in/on food that he like's." I would start off by letting him know what i'm doing and give him a chance. If that doesn't work I would try to be sniky about it. So my questions are?

What flavors are there?
    Does the powder have to be mixed?
    Is this a good idea or is he to young?

Please be honest I can take it. If you have any other ideas feel free to let me know...

Thanks for reading and helping me out..

I think this is a great idea, however, I have no pediatrician training.
    I can't see that it would hurt him unless you give him more than he needs. Obviously try asking a nutritionist if this is ok or a doctor. Having said that, there are a ton of ways you can add protein powder to his foods, and it comes in great flavors like Chocolate, banana, strawberry, vvanilla, peanut butter (have yet to try because I have heard mixed reviews), cookies and cream, etc etc.
    I know there are certain types of protein for weight gain, which may be the type for him. I have honestly considered sneaking this into my fiancee's meals as he is really under weight for a grown man LOL but I buy the Isolates because they have the least amount of fat and carbs, which is for my needs.
    You can make protein cookies, brownies, cakes, shakes, yogurt, darn near anything, and it's pretty easy to mix with milk, juice or water!
    Hope you are able to sort this all out! :)
    Best wishes
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldnt give it to my child. Too much protein can be really bad and some of them are filled with a lot of sweetners etc. My husband and I were on one that gave us both really bad headaches apparently due to the msg in it. You can get build up shakes from boots which may be more suitable for him but I would check with doc first. I know doctors also used to give a liquid that was full of calories but I can't remember what it was called now. Good luck with it.:-)
    The doctors are very quick to mention PediaSure but it is pricey and it is heavily marketed to them by Abbot. they have a pretty good site and you can see what their various formulations contain to compare to other options:
    My son would drink the chocolate ones without the slightest complaint, but the cost was difficult to justify.
    There is sure a lot of sugar in some of those formulations... 18g in an8 oz drink. :noway: But the protein levels are far more in line with a growing child's needs over what a mass-market whey protein powder would provide. (Just the right amount vs. WAY too much)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I weighed 63 pounds when I started 7th grade and 90 when I graduated from high school. My parents never worried about it, but continued to offer me a variety of foods. Unless your pediatrician advises supplementation, I would not add artificial products to a child's diet. Often the bigger deal you make about eating, the more problems you cause. My pediatrician's advice 30 years ago remains solid: the less said about food and eating, the better. Offer a wide variety of foods at mealtimes, allow a reasonable amount of time to eat, and then clean up without saying anything about consumption. Don't keep any food in the house that is not nutritious.

^^ most sensible statement on here.

Offering a child a variety of 'real' foods and also getting them involved in the kitchen with preparing/cooking is the best thing to do.

Pumping them with protein powder? That just masks the problem rather than solves it.

Make meal times family times; work with the stuff he does like.... make homemade pizzas together, let him choose his toppings...bake cakes and make food fun. Don't push him but do encourage and involve him and hopefully he will grow out of it.

I seriously wouldn't feed my children protein shakes/meal replacements etc unless it had been medically advised.
  • 55in13
    Options
    There is sure a lot of sugar in some of those formulations... 18g in an8 oz drink. :noway: But the protein levels are far more in line with a growing child's needs over what a mass-market whey protein powder would provide. (Just the right amount vs. WAY too much)
    This is for kids that need to gain weight. My son was below the 15th percentile for most of elementary school. You don't want to give them bad habits, but they need carbs and fat as much or more than protein. My little guy always had incredible upper body strength for a lean and wiry kid.

EDIT - And again, this was doctor recommended, not just something I decided to do because I thought he should be bigger.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Both of my daughters are skinny minnies (both have been 50th percentile for weight their whole lives). My 8 (almost 9) year old is also in the 50th percentile for height. She is wearing a size 6 and going into 4th grade! So I feel your pain with trying to fatten them up.

My pediatrician suggested having her drink whole milk - maybe not all the time, but if she's not eating much else the extra fat isn't so bad. He said there's no reason why she can't have full fat milk. So she'll have a glass of whole milk with dinner. More calories and some fat.

She also loves peanut butter, cashew butter and almond butter, so we try to incorporate them, via sandwiches or snacks. We also do a lot of avocados & guac at our house. She's actually started to fill out a bit only recently.

I don't think I'd go the protein powder route without talking to our doctor though. What about the cliff z bars for kids? They are specially formulated for children...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

SUGAR IS NOT THE DEBIL!! :noway: *unless you have problems with it which the majority does not*

The stuff has to taste good or the kids just won't drink it. How do you propose you get children to drink something that is good for them if it doesn't have any sugar?
  • I_Will_Be_Then
    Options
    For starters I want to think everyone who has commented I got a way bigget outcome then I expected.

Just a few things about his diet. (fell so ashamed as a parent to put this ut in the pen but I have really tred so much)
    Only eats certain kinds of nuggets, chips, fry's,
    Lies bananas, apple, and pop tarts,
    NO: milk, Peanut butter, Veggies, red meat,

I do have him on a vitamin (he loves the one he takes always wanting more) I believe its is helping..

His dr always talks about pedicure. We have tried if off and on sense he was 4 but never liked it and would gag until he throw up..
  • I_Will_Be_Then
    Options
    For starters I want to think everyone who has commented I got a way bigget outcome then I expected.

Just a few things about his diet. (fell so ashamed as a parent to put this ut in the pen but I have really tred so much)

I do have him on a vitamin (he loves the one he takes always wanting more) I believe its is helping..

His dr always talks about pedicure. We have tried if off and on sense he was 4 but never liked it and would gag until he throw up..

Sorry for misspelled words typed to fast and didn't reread
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    EDIT - And again, this was doctor recommended, not just something I decided to do because I thought he should be bigger.

I, too, had asked my pediatrician and he didn't have a problem with it. (Funny how people assume that we don't check with our doctors before trying things on the kiddos.)

It's also not like I'm plying 16oz down his throat every day. It's more like 6oz, 3 times a week. It's a struggle because he has textural issues with a lot of foods. I.E. mushy. Yes, that means no mashed potatoes or anything of that consistency. No melted cheese. No peanut butter/nut butters. No avocados. No spaghetti sauce, etc etc. He's been that way since he moved into solid foods.

I wasn't worried about his size either, until I started seeing ridges in his fingernails and blueish coloring where he wasn't getting enough vitamins. So the protein powder is ~one~ of several ways I am combating it without getting him into the habit of junk/fast food.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options

What about homemade sweet potato fries? Or regular fries but sprinkled in nutritional yeast?
    Homemade pop tarts that have much better ingredients? http://dessertswithbenefits.com/homemade-pop-tarts/
    I had just Googled it and now digging through the rest of that website myself!
    If he likes apples and bananas, can you make him a smoothie with those? (just sneak some more stuff in when he's not looking. Like a few baby carrots. Raw zucchini.)

I managed to get my kid to eat raw snowpeas the other day by telling him that they were too good, that there was NO way he'd like them. He wasn't going to eat any of mine! (Reverse psychology). He ate probably 10 with ranch dressing.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's just small for his age. These Percentiles are for most - but not for all. My oldest son was like a spider monkey when he was little. All arms & legs - tall & skinny. Wouldn't eat half the time and had unlimited energy. In high school he played football and tried so hard to be 200 lbs, couldn't do it. He took protein powders, make protein shakes, lifted. Did everything he could but still couldn't do it. He's 34 now and weight 260 and of course, trying to lose weight.

If you son is otherwise healthy and he's not hungry, I don't see what the problem is. He will eat when he's hungry (same advice my doctor told my mother when I was little, but he also said to her, "Do you want her to look like you?" - my mom was 5'2" and weighed 200 lbs.) I was a skinny kid too, but healthy!
  • Gavery1
    Gavery1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

SUGAR IS NOT THE DEBIL!! :noway: *unless you have problems with it which the majority does not*

The stuff has to taste good or the kids just won't drink it. How do you propose you get children to drink something that is good for them if it doesn't have any sugar?

18 grams of sugar in one serving is over what a child should have per day. And you think thats OK???!!!
  • 55in13
    Options
    18 grams of sugar in one serving is over what a child should have per day. And you think thats OK???!!!
    If my child's pediatrician tells me that my child is not the one to whom you refer, then yes, I think it is okay. For a child in the range of the OP's, the AHA says 4-8 teaspoons which is about 17-34 grams.
    http://life.familyeducation.com/nutritional-information/obesity/64270.html

ETA - also look at the end of that article. The average child is currently getting triple what the guidelines suggest. I am not saying they are wrong, but this is not a "sky is falling" problem.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Go to your local vitamin shoppe and look. There's tons of fun favors skid would like, cookies n cream, chocolate milk shake etc.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i don't think age would matter as far as how health protein powder would be for you.

but, it does basically always contain trace amounts of toxic metals... so taking it from a young age through adult hood would probably magnify any potential issues with that. the metals may also have developemental issues that an adult wouldnt have to worry about.

my thoughts are that there is probably a better way to do it, there is NO WAY your going to find a protein powder that he isn't going to be keenly aware of whenever you put it in his food,

and if you can magically find a way to mask the taste of the powder, then i think you've also found a way to make real food more paletable to him.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Go to your local vitamin shoppe and look. There's tons of fun favors skid would like, cookies n cream, chocolate milk shake etc.

they sound fun and tastey until you try them. all the cookies and cream i've had taste nothing like cookies or cream. probably even less so to a 5 year old.