How often should I eat and how many meals a day?

Options
So I am a sophomore in college with a meal plan. Currently I weigh 147.8 lbs and I am 5'7. My goal weight is to be 130. How often should I eat a day in regards to intervals. Is 4-5 hours between each meal good? And how many meals should I be eating a day?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.

Some people eat once per day and some eat eight times per day.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    On days when I work, I have found 3 meals works best. Energy is needed throughout the day. On days off, I might skip breakfast, enjoy lunch out or whatever.

I personally keep flexible.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss. The key is to eat fewer calories than you burn. If you have 1500 calories, eat it all in one meal, or 500 each, and the weight loss will be the same. Time your meals. how many, how much, how often, so you feel satisfied and keep your energy up. What works for me might not work for you. Eating fewer calories than we burn works for everyone.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    However often and however many YOU want. The only thing that matters to losing weight is a calorie deficit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    However often and however many YOU want. The only thing that matters to losing weight is a calorie deficit.

This.
    It's purely your personal preference.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Science will say meal timing is irrelevant. If you don't like eating breakfast, don't. If you like eating a lot right before bed, then budget calories for it.

As far as timing goes it is absolutely up to you.

The only timing I find convenient to myself is spacing out meals while on a high protein macro goal (like 40% ish).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    Shiguaa wrote: »
    So I am a sophomore in college with a meal plan. Currently I weigh 147.8 lbs and I am 5'7. My goal weight is to be 130. How often should I eat a day in regards to intervals. Is 4-5 hours between each meal good? And how many meals should I be eating a day?

You should eat the number of meals that gives you the amount of calories you need each day.
    The frequency of consumption and amount of calories at each meal depends on what you prefer and your lifestyle.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whatever is going to work for you in the long run and fit most conveniently in your day. You may find that different days require different meal planning, depending on class commitments and the like.

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss, don't buy into the hype of needing to eat every so often to keep weight loss happening. The single most important thing is to make it work for you, so don't go stressing yourself by trying to stick to a schedule that's not natural or convenient for you.