Completely defeated

Options
2»

Replies

• Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I felt of the wagon too for the last two days. Keep log in and praying that tomorrow I will be good and go back to my healthy lifestyle/
  • brandilc
    brandilc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I joined MFP some years back and I had already lost about 20 lbs. I lost a few more and then gained a few back. My sister messaged me and wanted me to join MFP to help motivate her without knowing I was already a member. So to assist my little sister I started logging back in and I was shocked that I had gained that much back. I started working out steadily at the first of May and I'm down ten lbs, but I'm not even back on my MFP 'radar' yet. Some days it's discouraging, but on a good day when I've got up and worked out at 6:00 in the morning and I have more energy and I'm thinking more clearly, I see it as a challenge and I know I'm working toward a better me - body, mind, and soul. The numbers are just a way to track progress.

Thanks for posting and keep up the hard work... some of us need to hear 'real' people stories.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You CAN come back from this. Just remember those pounds didn't show up overnight and they won't go away that fast either. Don't try to make too many changes at one time, it's best to take baby steps. If suddenly you're working out like a fiend or severly cutting your calories it's harder to maintain.

I lost 90+ pounds 5 years ago. Then I gained about 60 of that back, mostly over the last year and a half. I finally looked at myself and saw what I was becoming again so I stopped and decided a new year, a new me. I was going good then at the end of January I got the flu and lost my momentum. After recovering from the flu and getting back on track I started really using MFP and have over 130 days of logging in. My diary isn't always pretty but I do it.

I still eat all the same foods, just in smaller portions. When I go out to eat at a resturant I try to check out the menu and nutrition facts online to pick the best foods for me. If I have a big family meal I pretty much know from the start I'll go over my calories that day. Since it's not a daily thing I don't sweat it.

So take a deep breath, stop beating yourself up, and begin again. It is worth it!

37422413.png
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I lost over 120 pounds and gained it back plus another 20. We're all in the same boat.

http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/attachments/f115/689-otago-hsfy-chat-archive-madeyemoody.gif

Urghhhh! Someone fix my gif, please?
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try this: Set your calorie goal to whatever it would be for maintenance at your goal weight.

It will be a deficit from what you're currently needing/eating, but it won't be as as ambitious or difficult to keep up with as if you tried to lose X lbs per week.

Because you'll be less likely to go over your daily calorie goal, it will encourage you to stick to it and to log everything you eat.
  • mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Try this: Set your calorie goal to whatever it would be for maintenance at your goal weight.

It will be a deficit from what you're currently needing/eating, but it won't be as as ambitious or difficult to keep up with as if you tried to lose X lbs per week.

Because you'll be less likely to go over your daily calorie goal, it will encourage you to stick to it and to log everything you eat.

Thanks, good idea!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Two and a half years ago, I dropped about 30 pounds. I was very excited to do so -- a little too excited, perhaps. I worked on my abs every single day, with no time for recovery. Eventually I had a disturbing abdominal bulge that convinced me I had a hernia. I stopped ALL activity, but ate whatever I wanted without any notion of the calories I was packing on... and the weight slowly creeped back on. Somewhere in there, I started moving around again for a while, but then I broke an arm and stopped again. I was so discouraged, I just gave up. Within two years, I had regained all of the weight I'd just lost, plus a little more.

Half a year ago, I said Enough. I felt I was on the edge where I could either change my ways and become healthier, or start facing real health problems that could do permanent damage. I got a pedometer and started walking a LOT. The weight started coming off again. I came to this site and started tracking calories, and more of it came off. I found I could do more, so I did. I used the weight machines in the gym at my workplace. As I got lighter and stronger, I found that my knees didn't hurt, my ankles didn't hurt, my back and neck weren't as stiff. And I could do more, so I did. Not just in the gym, but around the home and elsewhere. I got my life back.

I dropped a total of about 45 pounds. In the process, the "hernia" bulge became noticeable, but this time I resolved to take care of it and not let it derail me. I was surprised to find out that it wasn't a hernia; I needed some other surgery. I had that almost four weeks ago. It went a lot easier because I was in good shape. The recovery went well and I'm back at my normal activity, and looking forward to lifting heavy, learning street fighting skills, and all sorts of other things. Last night I ran a mile at a steady pace without stopping, for what I think was the very first time in my life. I just started logging my foods again last week after taking a break to recover, and was happy that I hadn't gained much at all during the respite. I've learned more about myself in the process this time, and figuring out how the past six months' worth of lifestyle changes are going to become permanent for me.

My point? I've "started over" more than once. It can be done. So sure, you're starting over. "Starting over" is just "starting." Starting is the hardest part, but here you are and you've started already. YOU CAN DO THIS. You're on the right path. Don't beat yourself up. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on.

ETA: I just looked at your profile. You seem to be EXACTLY where I was that half a year ago. I'm your age, and I'm now at that target weight of 130. A few weeks ago, I pulled all my old clothes out of the boxes and had a blast trying them all on again. I know you can do this, and I know you're going to have SO much fun once you do!
  • mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks to each and every one of you and your encouraging and motivating words!