I love Potatoes and all things Savory...

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick something to sub for potato, I'd pick parsnips. They can do much of what potatoes can do and kinda/sorta taste like potatoes (but not really, lol.)

I eat a lot of potatoes. If you don't load them up with a bunch of crap, they're not all that high in calories and have lots of potassium, which I (like most Americans) do not get as much as I should. So, they're helpful on the potassium front and work for me.

But if I couldn't have them and had to make Mashed Something, I'd pick our friend, the parsnip. :)
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you and eat a potato most days. My favorite way to eat one is to shred it and cook it hash-brown style in a pan sprayed with an aerosol spray (I use a Misto with olive oil). It's a pretty good amount of food for not many calories and satisfies the craving.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, I don't have a sweet tooth but I get cravings for savory things, mostly carbs and fats. Mac and cheese, mmmmm... I'm also a potato fanatic.

I've learned to fit all the things I love into my daily intake. If I want a potato, I buy potatoes at the store and bake them or make them into french fries (in the oven, not fried). If I want mac and cheese I get mac and cheese but a small portion... or I make my own at home with whole grain macaroni and reduced fat cheese.

Don't deprive yourself of the things you love, it only leads to failure... enjoy those potatoes!
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i make cauliflower mashed all the time, using Low sodium chicken stock and fresh garlic

This! ^^^ It's delicious and guilt free!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I LOVED potatoes, I could eat potatoes till the whole bag was gone. Same with pasta, I really had to cut those two items out of my menu cause I could not portion control. I have replaced potatoes with cauliflower, when I really really want garlic mashed potatoes I make garlic mashed cauliflower it is truly amazing but you have to eat it hot (it is also kid approved) as for pasta I use spaghetti squash or zucchini zoodles so yummy and can eat lots without all the carbs and calories. I just Google to find recipes and play around with them. Best of luck to you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are some great cauliflower mashed "potatoes" recipes out there. I don't have one on me but Google "cauliflower mashed potatoes" and BAM, great substitute! There are also some tasty pizza crusts made from cauliflower too!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    BUT if you were to bake your one ideal potato, prepare the fixings measured out (careful of the cheese!), grill it till the cheese bubbles, instagram that perfect potato, then take apart that bad baby one bite at a time, savouring the texture and taste, smelling it, rolling it around on your tongue, observing how it feels as it enters your stomach, you will have anchored that memory of the perfect potato. It should take at least thirty minutes to consume the perfect potato. And one will be enough. Every time you prepare potatoes after that, the scent will take you back to that perfect moment.

Mother of god. Your post just did naughty things in my head. If I weren't at work I'd be racing to the grocery to go make this amazing deliciousness so I could do as you wrote, LOL. I think I love you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Any sort of "substitute" probably isn't going to satisfy you like a potato would. The carbohydrates and calories are kinda what make a potato a potato.

I know taste is subjective, but I find mashed cauliflower every bit as satisfying as mashed potatoes, and it's hard to tell the difference between the two. I actually like it better because it doesn't have the pasty, starchy texture of potatoes.

Now cauliflower pizza crust - I just can't do that. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Butternut squash cut into fries shape, spray oil, salt and pepper and roasted until slightly blackened

Cauliflower and brocolli mash

Carrots roast beautifully with a chicken or beef alongside roast potatoes (is that US broiled?)

Chop up vegetables and roast with garlic and seasoning and spray oil

When you make mash don't add butter, use the boiling liquid instead of milk, add whole grain mustard or creamed horseradish for a zing (personally I eat a smaller portion of regular mash instead)

Multipacks of chips with no more than 25g ...immediate portion control to about 130 calories
    In that area the air popped substitutes are 85-90 calories
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes! Don't give them up - there is absolutely no need!
    Fit them into your daily allowance and you're fine :)