Any healthy chicken chili recipes out there?

Options
BamaRunningGirl
BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
I have found a few that sounds good, but doesn't sound too healthy and doesn't have nutrition facts on it.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    15 light chili recipes

I find that chili is pretty inherently calorie friendly as long as you use a lean meat. I add more peppers, onions, and even zucchini to mine since we don't eat beans.

Also, if you're not sure the calorie count of your food, use the recipe builder when you're cooking.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had recently tried one and fell in love with it. It was on Once upon a chef web site and I made a couple changes. I used 3 cans of beans and blended one of them up to help thicken the soup. I didn't use the poblano peppers, instead I used a can of green chili's. It was super good and made a lot. I put a small sprinkle of pepperjack cheese on top and a tiny bit of crushed frito's too, but was good with out the toppings too. Now I want some........It used a rotissery chicken, so was pretty easy.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is an all time favorite of mine, I've made it a million times. It uses ground turkey, not chicken, but I'm sure you could adapt it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/white-chili-recipe.html
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites! I eat it without the rice, and it's delicious.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    This is one of my staples. The recipe changes a little each time. This one has wirz cabbage in it. Sometimes I add fennel or kohlrabi. Whatever I find in the fridge.

In a 5L pot, I sautee the gound chicken with chilli spice mix, onions, fresh chili, lea perrins, tomato paste, vitam (bouillon replacement). When the chicken is cooked I add the rest of the diced / chopped raw veggies and the canned diced tomatoes, fill up pot with hot water and simmer for about 20-30min (or until veggies are cooked). Then I add the canned kidney beans and a packet of fresh cilantro, freshly ground pepper, salt if needed.

Makes 6-8 portions. I put them in tupperware and freeze them for later use. This recipe made 8.

4w5l8t1osod1.png
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I make White Bean Chili in the crock pot, don't have exact recipe because I make it different each time but this is how it usually goes:

3 lbs ground turkey or chicken breast
    1 can chickpeas
    1 can white beans of your choice, I use cantinelli
    2 zucchinis
    2 yellow squashes
    1/2 large yellow onion
    1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn
    1 or 2 large red peppers depending on taste
    1 medium size jar of verda salsa
    1 packet of guacamole seasoning (low sodium if you can find it)

Chop the veggies into large chunks and put on bottom of crock pot along with frozen corn. Next, add the two cans (drained!) of beans. Place ground turkey on top of veggies and beans. Add the jar of verda salsa and packet of seasoning. Do not add water. Mix very gently and set on high for about 5 hours. The less you mix during cooking, the chunkier your veggies will come out! Leave the top off the crock pot for about a hour before serving to thicken. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt to make it creamy. You can bake slices of corn tortillas in the oven for a couple minutes to make homemade tortilla chips! I make this for my roommates all the time and the huge batch is gone within 2 days, if that.

You can build a recipe in MFP to get the exact calorie count. This one came to about 325 per serving with 10 servings total with the ground turkey.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/low-fat-chicken-chili

We LOVE this chili. We've served to guests and they've said it was the best chili they've had.

Changes we make from the recipe:
    1. Add chicken at same time as the rest of the ingredients.
    2. Use unsalted chicken broth.
    3. Use 3 tbsp tomato paste.
    4. We don't use the frozen peppers, but rather use 1 fresh green pepper.
    5. Add 1 celery stalk.

This is really filling and really tasty :smiley: