Help with restriction?

Options
I'm recovering from an Eating Disorder and am using My Fitness Pal to gain weight, but I always find myself getting down on myself and then restricting my calorie intake again. Not as low as I did before, but still below what I need to even maintain my weight. How can I stop myself from doing this?

Replies

• MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd either stop tracking altogether so you don't worry about the calories and make an attempt to eat calorie dense foods, or I'd up the calorie allotment you've given yourself so that when you look at the scale, you see how much more you have to eat rather than some weird number that you may have already eaten over. Honestly, though, I'd go with the first. Stop tracking for a while, because part of the ED mentality is hypercontrol of all the foods you're putting into your body.
  • latinpr
    latinpr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd either stop tracking altogether so you don't worry about the calories and make an attempt to eat calorie dense foods, or I'd up the calorie allotment you've given yourself so that when you look at the scale, you see how much more you have to eat rather than some weird number that you may have already eaten over. Honestly, though, I'd go with the first. Stop tracking for a while, because part of the ED mentality is hypercontrol of all the foods you're putting into your body.

This is very good advice. If you do want to track via MFP, you can always find a TDEE calculator online, input the age/height/weight etc, set the activity level to sedentary, and have it generate a number for you. Then go into MFP, edit your goals, choose custom, and enter the TDEE number + 500 as the daily needs. This way you can eat up to that, not stress out about anything, and gain weight slowly in an effory to not become mentally depressed and go back.

If that is something you are not ready for, I would recommend not logging anything and try to eat small meals throughout the day that have alot of protein, some healthy fats (no fried or junk food) and have a little bit of rice or pasta with veggies (more veggies than pasta).

Healthy eating means you can eat alot more than junk food will allow without feeling bad about it.