Keto Diet - Ketosis

Options
I just started a keto diet (very low carb). The keto strips indicate I'm NOT in Ketosis, which seems odd and frustrating to me because I'm literally eating maybe 15 grams or less of carbs a day...NO JOKE....since Sunday. That is 5 full days of all meat, all fats, lettuce. Sincerely, I've eaten nothing questionable. I have lost 3 lbs, though. However, I'm not sure if that is just normal water weight. Anyone else have trouble getting their body into ketosis? Any suggestions? Additionally, I also work out quite a bit, which I had heard should help you get into ketosis faster.
Anyway, any feedback or suggestions would be great.

Replies

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It takes a while to get there and that time varies between individuals.
    As far as the workouts go, you may notice your energy level drop as your body begins to adapt but that will pass and your endurance will exceed what you previously were able to achieve.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It might not work for you as a weight loss program but then again it might. Maybe stick with it for a bit longer and find out.

Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You may have large glycogen stores yet to burn through. Keep at it. Doing a tablespoon mct oil or coconut oil with all 3 meals will start producing ketones right away. Remember to count their calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Too much protein inhibits ketosis. Also bear in mind that not everyone shows measurable acetoacetate in urine even if they have decent levels of B-OHB in their blood.

I'm told it can take some women a month or so to fully adapt to ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Too much protein inhibits ketosis. Also bear in mind that not everyone shows measurable acetoacetate in urine even if they have decent levels of B-OHB in their blood.

I'm told it can take some women a month or so to fully adapt to ketosis.

Ditto.

I was eating low carb for 2 weeks and then keto for almost a week before it showed up in ketostix. For some it never shows up.

I've been in ketosis for about 4 months and have hit the point where my ketostix are always negative even though I know I am in ketosis.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A word of caution. My 9 yr old son was on the ketogenic diet for the past 4 years for attempted seizure control (didn't help) and ended up with a prolonged Q-T segment on his EKG. Not a common occurrence but it does happen.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

^^
    This - make sure that you're getting enough fat. If your protein is too high it can convert to glycogen.