Which entree sounds like it will do the least damage

Options
I'm having an evening out at a nice restaurant for a special occasion. In looking over the menu, there are 4 entrees and I'm trying to figure out which sounds like the least caloric option. Ideally, I would have liked to have "saved" my calories for dinner, but it hasn't quite worked out that way today, and I really only have 550 calories allotted. I'm sure these all go over 550, but I want to minimize the damage (and will probably only eat part).
This place isn't a chain, so no nutrition info available. What do you think?? I realize no one can know for sure, and it will be based on preparation and size of the entree, but just looking for general thoughts.

Ahi Tuna
Sweet corn & white bean succotash, salsa verde

Grilled Scottish Salmon
Mustard spaetzle, organic kale, miso butter

Jumbo Lump Crabcakes
Teriyaki glazed sweet potato, roasted shallot tomato sauce, herb pesto

Pan Seared Sea Scallops
Warm quinoa & roasted cauliflower salad, truffled beet purée

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I would get the tuna because it sounds delicious and I would eat all of it because it will not taste as good as leftovers. One dinner won't ruin everything.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would say the scallops are probably the lowest but I don't know the calories in scallops what comes with them seems less calorific than with the others.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Damage? Are you planning on throwing it or eating it? :)

Special occasions should be treasured not feared.
    You may find your weight loss less restrictive if you regarded your calorie allowance over the course of a week rather than a day.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the scallops or the tuna. Spaetzle is definitely NOT low-cal and crabcakes can also be pretty bad thanks to the frying and the filler.

Pan-frying the scallops will add some calories, of course, but scallops are pretty reasonable and the sides look fairly light. The tuna will be more calorie-dense than scallops although not fried, which will probably make them about equal calorie-wise, and it also has fairly light sides comparatively.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Toss up between the Ahi Tuna and Pan Seared Sea Scallops (I'm imagining comparable amounts of tuna to scallops). With the former, I'd expect higher carbs, with the latter a bit more fat and maybe protein.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    I would say the scallops are probably the lowest but I don't know the calories in scallops what comes with them seems less calorific than with the others.

This was my thought as well. Items that are teriyaki-glazed, such as the sweet potatoes will be super high in sodium as well. Not a "danger" from eating it one time, but you may feel bloated or retain water for the couple of days. Not really worth it, IMHO.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Damage? Are you planning on throwing it or eating it? :)

Special occasions should be treasured not feared.
    You may find your weight loss less restrictive if you regarded your calorie allowance over the course of a week rather than a day.

lol - good point. I know special occasions are to be treasured, but I have A LOT of special occasions coming up in just 2 weeks. Anniversary dinner tonight, Early Thanksgiving with my family tomorrow (but I'm cooking so it should be easier to control), birthday party on Sunday, and another Thanksgiving potluck next Friday, and the list goes on. November is a very "special occasion" heavy month for me!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'd go for the scallops or the tuna. Spaetzle is definitely NOT low-cal and crabcakes can also be pretty bad thanks to the frying and the filler.

Pan-frying the scallops will add some calories, of course, but scallops are pretty reasonable and the sides look fairly light. The tuna will be more calorie-dense than scallops although not fried, which will probably make them about equal calorie-wise, and it also has fairly light sides comparatively.

This makes sense - thanks! I'll pick whichever one appeals to me most at dinner time :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The scallops dish sounds fantastic *drools
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish. Good for you gor planning ahead. The scallops most likely will be cooked in butter so the salmon preparation might be lower in cals even though the salmon itself is a bit fattier than scallops. Take it easy on rolls & butter before dinner & high cal appetizers. That's where cals can add up fast. Alcohol also adds lots of cals. Have fun!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Scallops.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think the tuna's probably the lowest in calories, but if I was you I would get whichever sounds best. If you don't want to go over on calories, just eat half.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of the scallops personally.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just chill out and eat for one meal. Even if you go all the way up or slightly over maintenance calories, you're still in a deficit for the week...

Tuna would probably be the lowest in calories though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I agree with the chill advice

Personally I wouldn't have an entree..but a main course and a drink or two if I was concerned about calories
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Most days I am under by 50 to 100 calories so if I go over 50-100 calories on a nice dinner I don't worry. All those choices sound yummy.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For nutrition and lower calories, I'd also say the tuna or scallops, but personally I'd go for the salmon and spaetzle, two things I love that would also fare pretty well if I ate half and took the rest home (in theory to eat the next day but in reality I'd probably eat the same night while congratulating myself on getting in the protein and omega-3s).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd have the crab cakes and skip the pesto, personally, but I don't like tuna and scallops, lol.

It's one of those occasions where you just can't know though. If you knew the number of times that several things looked good and I had no idea what to get and I REALLY wished I could know what had the least calories to make my choice... So my advice is just to go with what sounds the best to you.

And I can never seem to save calories for dinner, so I hear you on that - I get really hungry in the morning and during the day, and usually have a small dinner, so if we go out for dinner, it's pretty much guaranteed that I will go over, or I just get hangry during the day and that doesn't work out either.